Monty Python's 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raf, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I emailed Network to ask if they had any plans to put the booklets information online in PDFs, or release the books separately (in order to avoid damaging the box set books by actually trying to read them).

The short answer is no, they don't.

Am I right in thinking the individual releases don't have the books?

BrettyD likes this.
  2. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

Only finding out now the whole damaged boxes drama. Maybe it's down to the fact that I ordered through Amazon ?
    I feel very sorry for the people who got broken boxes. I wish you all a fast and easy solution, replacement.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The books are a box set exclusive.

longdist01 and Meng like this.
  4. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

realkilroy, Meng and ries like this.
  5. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

6. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

7. The Hud

I got an email updating the damages box fiasco.

We can choose from the following:

--A $10 refund

-- Have an empty replacement box shipped to us at no cost. Limited supply, first come, first serve.

--Or a full refund if we want to return the whole set.

I requested an empty box. You have to provide your order number and pictures of your damaged box, which is easy enough.

I received an automatic response saying that they are receiving a large number of emails and that response time will be slower than normal, so I don't know if I will get a new box or not. I will update here when I have more information.

8. I got the same and asked for a replacement box. I've had horrible luck this year with damaged shipments but this one doesn't upset me too much (and at least they are handling it so all is fine).

longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  9. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Watched the first 2 episodes of series 1 last night
    What email address did you send your complaint to? I sent one to [email protected] and haven't had a response.

10. The Hud

That is the email address I used as well. When did you send yours? I sent mine on November 7th.

longdist01 and Small Fish like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hmmm, I wonder how much better that would be than the remastered DVD set that I bought several years ago. I would expect that Fawlty Towers was not in quite as bad shape as Python was.

realkilroy likes this.
  12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I requested the replacement. Hopefully I got in on time. Let's see how many people in the U.S. actually get a replacement box though. They may fill UK replacement requests and tell people in the U.S. they weren't in time. Shipping costs and all.

I'm so skeptical.

longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  13. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

Sent mine on the 6th. I'm going to chase it up.

14. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I have to admit I don't get the angst over the box. It's a PITA anyway even intact, if you bought these discs for viewing on screen rather than on a shelf. My empty box is already in a cabinet in my basement and I'll probably curse it (or curse my own OCD for not just tossing it) when I find it some future moving day. The 4 season sets are nice and compact on a shelf with my Python films and others (with room to spare now that that 14-disc A&E box is gone).

The books look like a treasure too, with about 80 pages each of printed info even before you get to the episode details. I'll just cross my fingers they hold up to reading, based on reports here.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    GreggF likes this.
  15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Hope I got my email response fast enough to get one of their replacement boxes which they will run out of ,If not I will take the ten pounds

16. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Andrew Pixley is a great researcher and engaging writer. I have TV production books by him on both The Prisoner and Doctor Who (1963-2017, which is an enormous partwork publication). All are invaluable, detail oriented, but full of fascinating behind the scenes info.

17. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I started reading the included book for season one and find I prefer 'The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons. Very detailed and entertaining. And the type is bigger, hehheh.

NaturalD likes this.
  18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I believe it's just the old restoration, but upscaled and with modern blu-ray encoding (so less mpeg noise)

It will be an upgrade for sure, but not necessarily any more resolution than before.

goodiesguy, longdist01 and dkmonroe like this.
  19. Laservampire

I was wondering exactly why the 2007 Sony DVDs sounded so muffled, so I loaded up the audio from the A&E DVDs and the Sonys into Audacity and the amount of NR they smothered on the Sony set is absurd!

[​IMG]

You didn't notice it as much on the TV but with headphones the difference is astounding!

IDwithnoE likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

...wow, that's crazy!

21. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

If there's an option to play the eps w/o the canned laughter, that could convince me to part with some of my filthy lucre. An obvious exception being these fine ladies, who can do whatever they want:

[​IMG]

22. Laservampire

It's not canned laughter, it's studio audience laughter (yes, even on the filmed bits, which were played to the audience during studio filming to record their reactions for the final sound mix)

There is a bunch of laughter free material in the bonus features however, sketches for which the original film (and film soundtrack) still exists, and a pile of studio inserts done without the audience present.

23. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Are you telling me those ladies were in the studio every night?!

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The one of the first things I noticed with the Sony sets. The Sound was so muffled it sounded like a blanket was suffocating my speakers and headphones.

Laservampire likes this.
  25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yes, I don't get why people think these British shows are like, say Bewitched, with canned laughter, when they all had genuine studio audiences in, and like you said, they'd show the filmed bits on monitors in the Studio so the audience could react.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.