New Survivor ' Island of the Idols '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Australian Survivor is around 80 mins an episode & theres 2 episodes per week. The difference between the two shows for getting to know the players is staggering.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

I've heard a lot of good things about the Australian Survivor series. That's grittier and more realistic.
    I'll have to look into checking it out.

3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

A mixture of ordinary people & retired professional & Olympic athletes. They don’t baby them either. Some pretty brutal challenges.

4. Wildest cat from montana

Some good drama tonight. Things are heating up.
    But Erin better watch out. People are getting hip to his b.s.--even his own tribe mates.
    Nice going , Elaine.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And by Erin, I assume you mean Aaron? I still have a little over 3 hours before the local broadcast but the net has given me the option of checking these things out long before it's aired here, so I always know the outcome going into the show. I prefer it this way since I can choose to watch or not if it's someone I'm rooting for who goes. Chelsea already called Aaron out in her exit interview as far as being an untrustworthy snake so I agree, he better watch his back. I smell a blindside in his future.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Oh!Erin was an old girlfriend's name. Freudian slip. Aaron it is and blindside's a-comin' no doubt.

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Okay, a lot to unpack on this episode. Once again, only a handful get any significant airtime. Makes me think the ones we still don't know will go far. I don't know what game Aaron thinks he's playing but I really hope he gets blindsided big time, preferably pre-jury. I thought Probst really showed his disdain for Lairo's losing ways to the point that he barely gave them any meaningful credit for winning immunity. And tribal was a laugh riot. So much fun watching the Vokai members lording over the Lairo minority only to have Elaine (and Aaron's duplicity) totally upend their plans. And the tears! Oh, the tears. Very satisfying.

rburly likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Quite so ! I thought Jason was going to start blubbering. They were just too smug for words.
    Merge is a -coming soon. The pot will really start to boil then.

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Jason's post vote-off vid again bemoans the fact that editing manipulates the story the show tells on any given episode. He said the Vokai were suspicious of Aaron and Missy and secretly planned to blindside Aaron right up to the point in Tribal when Elaine revealed her surprise. That's what all the whispering was about. They knew they lost a vote so settled on Elaine still hoping Aaron was sticking to his "word". It almost feels like a different game is being played that's just not shown.

10. Wildest cat from montana

Idols idols everywhere but none for Jack.

Anyway...time for the merge. When all these alliances will crumble and payback time on Aaron. No need for that slippery snake to be there any longer.

11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I felt bad for Jack until the end when they revealed the votes and he said (to the camera) that he guessed Dean saw him as a threat. Um, yeah! You lied to his face he wasn't the target then voted for him! His post-show interview reveals him to be rather clueless if not downright idiotic. He goes on and on about how close he and Jamal were, had each others backs, blah blah, then says even though Jamal never told him about his idol, he still trusted him. And he actually said his goal was to last long enough to make jury. Oy! Who goes on this show hoping that is the outcome?
    Karishma becomes more and more unlikeable with every episode. A totally useless player, she'll end up going to final 'cause she's willing to be used by anyone who'll have her. Ugh, I hate players like her.
    An unseen video shows Karishma, Noura and Kellee discussing who should go and Noura keeps insisting Jamal needs to be dealt with. Guess he's clueless about her intentions since he stupidly wasted his idol on her.
    Kellee was a magnificent puppet master on this episode. Loved how she put her vote on Dean just so she could say "It wasn't me who voted Jack out" even though he (or Jamal) was her target.

12. Wildest cat from montana

13. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Last night's tribal council discussion of gender equality was ludicrous. Being offended that someone would speculate whether the women would team up in an alliance--

That's offensive? And demeaning to women? -- "People don't give us the credit to judge people on their own merits outside of gender (paraphrasing)"

I've watched every season of Survivor and the amount of times female contestants have contemplated or discussed creating all-female alliances is too often to count. It's a common occurrence that male players must be aware of. Contemplating whether the females might align (especially when they outnumber the males) is not sexist it's a legitimate strategic consideration -- even in the age of the #metoo movement!

This is the second time this season that the show has veered awkwardly into social/cultural issues. The first was when one of the white contestants thought that a black player might refer to his bandana as a "D0-Rag." This resulting recriminations and tearful resolution was cringeworthy. However, I bet the producers are proud that Survivor is facing the important issues of the day!

I'm a loyal fan of the show but if this trend continues I'll lose interest.

14. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

This ^^^^^

15. Wildest cat from montana

Well said, mate.
    The do-rag incident was so overblown I'm guessing it was scripted somewhat.I 'm thinking Jack made the do-rag comment and the producers coerced Jamal into making a to -do about it. The ' apology ' was possibly the most cringeworthy moment on ' Survivor '
    I see you said you may lose interest in this season. My interest is fading fast. Hopefully it picks up following the merge. The first vote will be interesting. Game on.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

If you read the credits for a lot of so-called reality shows, there are often writer credits listed which leads me to believe things aren't so "real". I wish I still had the show on my dvr to check. A lot of times, especially during confessionals and tribal, the dialogue seems scripted so I wouldn't be surprised if people are given bullet points or suggestions on what or how to phrase things.

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Are you ready for 2 hours of Survivor tonight?

And here's more editing tomfoolery. In an interview with Elaine, she said in the episode that saw Jason voted out, he had a fake idol but that was never shown on the broadcast.

Spoiler - someone may soon go but not by being voted out.

18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

And our weekly preachy episode of Survivor’s social issue of the week centers on...

The editing on this season makes what little storyline there is, almost incomprehensible.

Kyhl and xdawg like this.
  19. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I’m going to finish this season just to see how far they will go with the preachiness. If next season starts off with the same BS, then I’m done with it for good.

Kyhl likes this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I found it rather ironic that Jamal got his buff in a twist over the durag comment and how he interpreted it, then the very next week he tossed out the woman alliance thing and ended up in the same boat as Jack.

21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

This wasn't so much preachy as, an ugly situation that could not be ignored or edited out of the show because of how substantial it was to the people there and the impact on the game itself. This is actually probably the most un-preachy episode because of how real and raw it is.

I lost respect for Dan, Missy and Elizabeth after tonight's episodes

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  22. Wildest cat from montana

Haven't watched last night' s episode but just reading the above comments has my mind in a whirl. What possible inanity has transpired now?
    Won' t know until this weekend.

23. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Dan obviously made Kellee uncomfortable with his touching of her. The producers showed a moment where Kellee told Dan that she had dirty (or sandy?) hair and he reached to feel her hair. It was obnoxious on his part and her reaction made it unequivocally clear that she didn't want him to touch her hair (notably, they allowed the film/sound crew to be seen in this shot). Also, they showed a shot of someone putting their arm around the person they were sleeping next to; yet it was unclear who they were -- maybe it was Kellee and Dan but I strongly doubt Kellee would be sleeping next to Dan.

She told the producers of her concerns and she chose to continue to play the game with him. Subsequently she made her complaints about Dan and her desire to have him voted out clear to the other female contestants. However, when the other women contestants had their chance to get rid of him (and his touching) a few of them didn't do it. In fact, they voted out Kellee instead!

In particular, Missy and Elizabeth had went along with Kellee and agreed with her complaints about Dan but we later learned that they actually didn't agree with her or share her concerns. Elizabeth and Missy met with Dan after the council and expressed their support for him. Elizabeth: "Dan, we sleep with you in the shelter every night and have never had a problem with you (paraphrasing)."

It doesn't surprise me that while living together in the jungle, in such close proximity, with so little privacy, that contestants could develop a sense of familiarity and closeness -- with people they've only known for a few weeks -- that is unheard of in their normal lives.

What bothered me about last nights episode is that Dan will be forever linked to "sexual harassment," and because of the extremely wide viewership of this show it will stay with him a long time. His wife and kids will have to live with this, too.

24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I don't know that I can. Going forward, my viewing will be to evaluate the show one episode at a time as it comes.
    Luckily for me, I don't have the gene that compels me to continue based on previous time invested. I can walk away from this at any time. Just like I quit TWD mid season a few seasons back.

One thing is clear, it is time for Probst to go.

xdawg and Scotian like this.
  25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

What didn’t make sense to me was they said they had meetings with the cast & Dan was given an official warning. Later on he seemed surprised by everything going on when he was told about it.

Kyhl, rburly and rjp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.