Concern for Willie Nelson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill007, Nov 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If anyone saw his performance of Rainbow Connection with Kacey Musgraves last night at the 2019 CMA Awards there was plenty to be concerned about. He had very noticeable problems breathing and he really couldn’t sing his part. Instead, he “talked” his way thru the song and struggled breathing even when he wasn’t the one singing. I know he has had lung related problems before but this was especially troubling to see for this American treasure. Kind thoughts for Willie.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

He's an 86 year old guy who has smoked throughout his life and has had various lung issues.

These sorts of things have a habit of eventually catching up with someone. :sigh:

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

he did cancel a bunch of shows this past summer for this reason. I saw one of the first shows back and he actually did pretty well considering.

4. Anyone know when (how old he was) the interview footage of him was shot for the recently aired Ken Burns Country Music doc?

He looked really good there, but I have a hunch all his interviews might have been from as much as 6 or even 8 years ago (or certainly no more recently than 4 years ago).

lc1995 and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

One of my heroes, may the heavens watch over him.

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's pretty amazing to me that Willie is still able to perform at 86.....I hope he's able to continue, if that's what he wants.

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

For those who wish to see the performance:

Willie appears to be short of breath, and possibly singing in a key he's not entirely comfortable with. Willie has been dealing with health issues over the last few years that have seen him cancelling gigs and legs of tours. But then he bounces back and keeps on keeping on. Last night looked like a bad night for him, but one he didn't want to cancel, figuring he could gut his way through a four minute onstage commitment. And he did. "Ragged but right," as Waylon used to say.

8. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Willie looks like he got some bud before he went on that kicked his butt. He'll be better today.

9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The young lady did a good job of modifying her delivery when they were doing the duet parts. Kudos to her.
    I hope Willie is ok though

Hep Alien, lc1995, cporcp and 15 others like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I did see Willie at a festival a few years ago. It was a bigger stage outside and it was kind of hard to hear him.

I also hope he’s well, because the man is an icon.

11. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

A national treasure. Hope he's doing okay.

[​IMG]

12. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

That really wasn’t all that bad for an 86 year old man with lung problems. He sounded like he was hitting the right notes, unless there was some autotune going on.

13. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Kacey Musgraves proved herself a class act with this performance! What a great moment in time, and a wonderful duet.

14. Hope he can still tour with Brian Setzer.

15. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Whew. He was definitely having problems breathing although the few times he went high he was surprisingly audible and in tune. He was also faking playing guitar throughout. It was a rough ride but I have to give him credit for persevering. If I felt like he seemed to be feeling, I'd have bailed on the appearance altogether.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and BobFever like this.
  16. Willie is fine, y'all. That's just the way he sings these days. He'd rather be inventing and creating on stage - throwing those jazz chords and licks out there.

Even when he dies Willie will be fine. It's us living folk who'll be all wallowing in our sorrow upon his passing.

What a beautiful life he has had so far.

17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Why post this? This is supposed to make people go "Yeah you're right. Admins go ahead and close this thread!"

We know he's 86. We know he's smoked all his life. Regardless, we like him around.

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Willie has been 'breathy' for about the last 12 months I've noticed.
    Amazing he is still alive, let alone still having a go.
    He still makes some amazing records too.
    Probably has a few more 'off' nights now for obvious reasons.
    Incredible Troubadour.

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Its inevitable if you abuse your lungs (& body)

Sadly most of us don't pay attention until its too late...

Willie is our patron saint in Texas but as the younger generations say "It is what it is"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. JRad

JRad Well-Known Member

It was a lovely performance. But yeah, he is up there in years and, as noted, has had issues throughout his life.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Well, he is 86 1/2 years old. This is normal.

22. County50

County50 Forum Resident

Heartbreaking to watch, I guess I’m getting old too

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

When I saw him recently at Farm Aid, his son Lucas was doing most of the guitar work, and everybody was out there on stage singing along. I wish him the best of luck but I'm not sure how much longer we will have with him.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I wonder if he ran out of breath while tapping that a--

25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I could live with his performances being at half-power. I wouldn't be crushed if he stopped touring. As long as he continues to be Willie. Just a funny quote (or joke) or hilarious picture every so often. He's like an older family member, but one you can't wait to talk to on Holidays.

Also, reminds me of the old joke about how dangerous cannabis can be: Just look at what it did to poor Willie! (Living to an advanced old age, artistic abilities and freedom, a fun life. Oh the horror!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.