Your favourite Sci-Fi film of all time ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 14, 2019.

1. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

I went to the public premier of Close Encounters in London, at the end of the film everyone stood up and clapped, I've loved that film ever since ..

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Altered States.

Keep away from those magic mushrooms. :)

HairyWeimer likes this.
  3. HairyWeimer

Why have I never seen this! I'm shocked.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Just could be the directors best sci fi film.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  5. alexpop

Like the scene with Taylor and Nova on the horse.

6. HairyWeimer

She was never the same after being in Mary Poppins.

7. alexpop

Humanoid Boogie- Bonzo Dog Band. :)

8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

This was a response to the fantastic voyage question about remakes etc.

9. HairyWeimer

We're lucky to be alive!

10. ForeverAmber

ForeverAmber Well-Known Member

The Blob with Steve MacQueen. This oldie scared the hell out of me and saw it in the cinema when it first hit the circuits.

The ghastly slime slitheted under doors and had me terrified as I sat in my seat with my friend. A gr8 X cert horror of its day

JKCanuck likes this.
  11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Caltiki and X-The Unknown, too. When they pulled that face mask off the diver I nearly sh...well, you get the picture.

ForeverAmber likes this.
  12. ForeverAmber

ForeverAmber Well-Known Member

Just glad I wasn't sitting next to you....just in case!:D

Manapua likes this.
  13. HairyWeimer

Bought the film The Creation Of The HumanoidsDVD for £2.50 via eBay. Just arrived I can't believe I've missed this film as I love old SF. Fascinating film except they got the "clickers" as robots but as we all know now we are the "clickers"!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  14. HairyWeimer

This film was based on a book by my favourite SF writer Edmund Cooper from the book : The Brain Child 1956.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. BillyBudapest'sPajamas

BillyBudapest'sPajamas Forum Resident

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Is Humanoids From The Deep considered Sci/Fi? Or maybe adjacent? Whatever, it is a laugh riot and highly enjoyable.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Speaking of X-The Unknown, it's due for Blu Ray release in the latter part of February 2020 by Shout Factory.

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It might be considered more of a fictional monster horror movie.

Science fiction usually involves the addition of science in some way or another. time travel or deep space travel. Something that is set in the future. Something that has technology that we don't yet have at the present time.

Movies like the vampire movie Dracula are horror movies. But, a movie like Frankenstein would be science fiction, because they reanimate a dead person with electricity and he comes back to life.

Everyone picks on Frankenstein, but it was not his fault that he was brought back from the dead and given a bad brain.

Godzilla would be a science fiction horror movie because Godzilla was created by the effects of radiation that was caused by the atomic bomb.

Haven't seen or don't recall Humanoids From The Deep but it could be either, depending if science is involved or not.

19. HairyWeimer

Well said, it is sometimes difficult to discuss with people what is SF, for example to me Star Wars is fantasy not SF!?

20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I haven't watched it in several years, since I bought the blu ray in fact but I'm pretty sure the creatures were a product of scientific experiments gone wrong. At any rate, you really should watch it. Highly enjoyable with the silliness factor ratcheted way up.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Star Wars IS fantasy and NOT not science fiction, despite the intergalactic space ships and the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." aspect to it.

22. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

The little boy in me is still awed by Forbidden Planet.

[​IMG]

23. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

Also:

Moon (2009)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

Being too young to see the movie in the theaters when it was released in the fifties, I would watch it during a day of afternoon science fiction movies on TV (in B&W of course).

The "Monsters from the Id" were pretty terrifying to me in my younger days too.

Forbidden Planet was THE science fiction movie during my youth. I think that it still holds up excellently today, special effects and all.

Sill the first real definitive science fiction movie, in every respect.

After the third grade, we moved from Miami to Fort Lauderdale, and the theater was just a few blocks away.

During the summer, for about 6-weeks every year, they would have summer "fun shows", where they used to show the older science fiction and fantasy movies, It was not very expensive and all the neighborhood kids went. You could get in free with six bottle caps from RC cola.

We would run around to the soda machines and fish the bottle caps out of the receptacle, where they dropped after someone opened them with the bottle opener on the machine.

I remember seeing movies like The Time Machine and Jason and the Argonauts at these showings, which were often double feature movies.

Back in the 90's, someone who was connected with out local film festival had some studio connections and was able to procure a loan of Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds and The Time Machine.

So I did get to see these timeless classics in color and on the big screen after all.

I have them all (and more) on home video media today.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  25. HairyWeimer

That's the best reply to a thread I've seen for a long time .....

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.