Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Island Records ISLD 6 [2 LP set] Paul Horn " A Special Edition" - Recording: Tap Suo-Antilla - Recorded 1974 live at Gastown, Vancouver, B. C., Canada

Featuring:
    Paul Horn:
    fl / piccolo/ alto fl / bass fl / as/ cl / ep
    Lynn Blessing: vibes
    Art Johnson: electric g
    Dave Parlato: electric b
    Bert Hall: dr & perc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Speaking of bassist led albums, I'm listening to the new debut from Harish Raghavan Calls for Action on Quobuz. I'm impressed enough that I just ordered the 2xLP from Bandcamp. If you're interested (and it has Joel Ross on it, so how could you not be) I suggest not snoozing: the vinyl is limited to 300 copies. A CD and/or FLAC download is also on offer.

[​IMG]

3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

4. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Picked up a CD copy of Art Blakey's Indestructible for £8. Over the moon with that as I've been after it for ages.

His last recording with Wayne Shorter.

GerryO, Mark J, Starwanderer and 8 others like this.
  5. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

The Quantic Soul Orchestra - Stampede
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This 1989 cd sounds pretty good, but I wish there was a recent remaster as it's a great session and could sound better.

It includes the song I wanted to hear, the Ellington tune "Just a Lucky So and So." I was wanting to hear that today, I'm that lucky bastard and know it.

Gil Evans & Helen Merrill "Collaboration" Emarcy CD

[​IMG]

Also I put on Duke Ellington "And his Mother Called Him Bill." This week I got news that my sister's husband's lymphoma seems to have returned after 11 years. . . . Sad news and made me think of "Blood Count."

[​IMG]

7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I read it happened on another thread, I'm sorry for you. I quit the SHF for close to a year because of all the negativity and the bad manners that's spreading on most threads. I've had enough. I came back for this thread only. First, it gives me the possibility (privilege?) to exchange about jazz music with passionate and kind persons. Second, there's a respect among us here that I find essential and that I appreciate very much. I have very little interest about participating or even just reading what's elsewhere on the Forum.

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Now Playing
    Alan Braufman “Valley of Search”
    [​IMG]

Cecil McBee bass
    Cooper-Moore piano
    David Lee drums
    Ralph Williams percussion
    Braufman alto and flute

Recent reissue of the 1975 India Navigation LP

9. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

First, never heard of this until a week ago as I was looking for other Strata East reissues that I might like. Second, this music and the cover were way ahead of its time. Third, ties into @Bobby Boogaloo and others comments about hip hop and jazz as the bass line on the title track is mega sampled. If you like funky bass get some of this. Piano is pretty sweet too. Side 2 with title song and Umoja Suite I could listen to for hours.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, PATB, alarickc and 4 others like this.
  10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Just thrown on Oliver Lake “Holding Together”
    [​IMG]
    Lake reeds
    Paul Maddox drums
    Fred Hopkins bass
    Michael G. Jackson guitar

Very cool sonic textures and effects pedals courtesy of Jackson- the six stringer, not the king of pop!

11. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

So to show my love for the bass player led group, here is Cecil McBee’s album for Strata East. First track is a bass solo with some arco playing, although I read it is remixed in each speaker channel. More wonderful advanced music. My favorites are the title track and Tulsa Black.

[​IMG]

no.nine, JHC3, Starwanderer and 8 others like this.
  12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

“Collaboration” was produced by the late Boxman Koyama and engineer by Tom Lazarus. Sounds good indeed.
    This is a labor of love.

bluemooze and Lonson like this.
  13. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

95% of the time I'm on this thread only, but sometimes I want to explore what else is going on in SHF. Well... maybe I shouldn't.

14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Wow, Cecil McBee in almost back to back posts!

Mugrug12 and charlesp like this.
  15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

More Fred Jackson, on this John Patton classic. He plays bari on the title track

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

17. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks for the link, I voted, but not for the Turrentine, I havn’t heard it. I’m sure it’s fine. Many people made mountains out of mole hills about 50+ year old tapes. I voted for Face to Face, Chant, Minor Move and Contours.

Crazysteve likes this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nice picks — those are excellent, as are them all, in my opinion.

Dan Steele likes this.
  19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

My hero, Joe. “...at the Vanguard, Joe Henderson was giving saxophone lessons and that was made clear by how many saxophonists were packed into the club and how frequently their mouths fell open in the face of his inventions.” Stanley Crouch.

[​IMG]

20. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Enjoying this one tonight.

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

22. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Ornette Coleman - At The Golden Circle

Been crazy busy lately, starting a new role at work and have been training my replacement in my existing role. It has been pretty exhausting, i'm a bit of an introvert so sitting and engaging with someone all day is exhausting to begin with, but also just feeling responsible for giving them a good start.

Anyway, i was driving my wife's car today and there's no aux or bluetooth to plug my phone in so i was digging in to an old CD wallet and this was the only CD contained within that i felt like listening to. Magic stuff.

[​IMG]

23. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I went on a Pepper-palooza a while back, acquired all 4 LPs, and the 9CD box.
    If you choose to believe the more detailed notes in the 9CD box, you'll discover that “But Beautiful” here is actually from the Thursday night (first set), and all the others on this supposed Friday release are from Saturday. So, actually nothing here was from Friday!
    Same holds true for the Saturday LP, not one track on that LP is from Saturday night.
    Again, presuming the box is accurate...

But, it is fantastic music as you mention!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

25. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Some great playing here, love the Hodges + Davis sides, and this one even has Grant Green on a few tracks too.

[​IMG]