Tannoy in the Philadelphia area?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sjerseydad22, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjerseydad22

sjerseydad22 Member Thread Starter

For all the talk I've come across on-line in connection with Tannoy speakers it seems amazing to me that I've not bumped into any US-based owners by now. I've read so much about these speakers and their unique design and sonic characteristics and would most certainly consider buying one but I'd really like to actually hear what they (any model) sound like first, and so I am hoping that there might be a fellow audiophile in the Philadelphia region (+/- 90 miles) who owns one and would be willing to host me for a short listening session.

N.B. I posted this in the "Music" Forum first, and yet I think "Audio Hardware" might be a more appropriate venue (but if not, would a senior/staff member kindly advise).

2. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

This is a good question - I’ve looked for dealers for several years. The coverage is minuscule. It IS possible now that Upscale Audio is the new importer, the coverage will be better. But perhaps not since he strives for a national reach via the Internet right from his shop in California.

I consider myself one of the lucky few . . . I have a pair of vintage Cheviots that i picked up for a song right here in Cleveland before I even knew what the brand really was all about. They have changed my life. HPD for life!!

kt66brooklyn and McLover like this.
  3. sjerseydad22

Folks, see what I mean! lol

Signed,
    Jealous in Philadelphia

4. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

AUDIO + VIDEO EXPRESSIONS has been a Tannoy dealer for quite awhile. He's in Southampton, PA which is MUCH closer to Jersey than Philly.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. sjerseydad22

Holy cow! Thank you B$B!! I just called there and left a message. Hopefully it has a showroom with the Cheviot and Arden on the floor to demo. Strange that they are not listed on the Tannoy website as one of the US dealers. But maybe not so strange given that Upscale Audio isn't listed either.

BTW, I'd still like to connect with an actual in-home user in my area so hopefully word gets out and I'll get an invite.

6. sjerseydad22

Well folks it turns out that AUDIO + VIDEO EXPRESSIONS is not a "dealer" in the sense that it has any in-stock or on the floor Tannoys for demo; in fact, unlike World Wide Stereo nearby, A+VE is a one-man design/integrator not set up for showroom evaluations. According to its owner, it's "an order taker" in connection with Tannoy.

Looks like Upscale Audio with its free shipping is the best bet to buy from in the US because it actually stocks Tannoy.

So back to where I started . . .

Can it truly be that no one on this site -- from NYC to DC -- owns a Tannoy that they'd want to show off?

kt66brooklyn and Bert Oz like this.
  7. Billion$Baby

Audio + Video Expressions does have a showroom. He played the Canterbury GR for me earlier this year paired with a VIVA 845 Tube Amp. I know he sold the Canterbury's over the summer. His floor was covered with 4 or 5 Wilson Speakers....he now has several Sonus Faber's coming in shortly. He carries about 20-30 various brands so I have no idea why you don't consider that a "dealer". His store is located right off Route 232....been there several times in the past few years.

8. I have a pair of DMT15IIs you're welcome to hear but I'm in Pittsburgh - so a little out of your range maybe

9. sjerseydad22

Accept or reject it but I've defined what a "dealer" means to me above. The fact is, by his own admission, A+VE does not stock Tannoys. Period. By his own admission, in connection with Tannoy he is "an order taker" (his words, not mine). In that sense, he's no different than Hi-Fi Heaven (even though HFH actually has a few Tannoys in stock). Still, I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your found Canterbury and its source.

So if I may, please let's stay on topic. It should be clear that I am looking to audition a Tannoy speaker, in person, hear it live; not, order one from one of the many available order-takers local to the Philadelphia area or elsewhere.

Hopefully mine is a simple request, not one that could be misinterpreted.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. sjerseydad22

Yes, sadly, Pittsburgh is a bit too far but I do VERY MUCH appreciate your weighing in.

mr. scratchy esq likes this.
  11. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Have you talked with Upscale? Maybe they'd be willing to arrange a home demo for you.

12. sjerseydad22

Hi Tman53, I hadn't thought of that before -- and it's such a great suggestion that I ran with it.

Just got off the phone with UA and even though they don't currently have a "demo" program per se (but I made a recommendation that they consider one for those of us that reside on the East coast), I learned that they do offer a return policy involving a refund whereby one incurs a restocking fee plus shipping fees to/from. Those fees can be avoided if one decides to purchase another product or take a store credit instead. So, that is an option for me/anyone -- potentially expensive but an option nonetheless. Alternatively, I could fly out to LA to visit UA.

Who would have thought that demoing a Tannoy would involve such energy?

I also learned that as of a few months ago Upscale is now THE North American distributor of Tannoy.

McLover likes this.
  13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Well, at least you gave it a shot.

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You might want to talk to Jim Smith in Atlanta- he is, I think, currently using the Tannoy as his preferred speaker, knows how to set them up and though I don't know if he is a dealer, he might be able to help you locate a pair. He's someone I'd trust. (If you are already thinking about plane flights).

15. sjerseydad22

Thank you Bill. That's another good suggestion of a person that I can follow up with. He may have sold something to someone in my area (and I'd be more than happy to have him forward my contact information).

16. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

Yes, he is the importer now. When you were on the phone with them you should have asked if they have any dealers in your area. I’m guessing they do not have much of a dealer network. Which is a shame.

17. sjerseydad22

Never heard back from Upscale Audio despite "promises" to do so. Maybe my request didn't warrant a reply. Oh well. I'll keep looking locally.

18. Chef Henry

Chef Henry Forum Resident

I've been a Tannoy owner since 1959 or 1960; Silvers, Reds, Golds, HPDs, and for the better part of four decades, a pair of GRF Memories. I live in Clifton, and can usually make myself available on a Friday or Saturday. My email is [email protected], and phone number is (973) 473-2094.

beowulf, sjerseydad22 and Bill Hart like this.
  19. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

It is a shame about Tannoy availability in North America. TC Group (Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, TC Electronics, TC Helicon) was acquired by Behringer aka MUS!C aka MUS!C Group aka MUS!C Tribe who were far more interested in their commercial audio products. Behringer closed the TC Group NA office and moved production of the commercial products from Scotland to China several years ago.

Upscale Audio are not “the importers” but they may be one of a handful of exclusive dealers. Tannoy is exclusively distributed by Starin who handle all MUS!C Tribe brands in the US. Maybe they can point you toward a stocking dealer.
    Starin - AV Distributor

it might be worth a trip to Montreal
    Son Ultime – Expert en haute-fidélité – McIntosh, Bowers & Wilkins, Sonus Faber, Auralic, REL, Audioquest, Oracle Audio, Torus Power, Bluesound, Quadraspire, HANA, Grado

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't know what is correct, this seems to indicate that Upscale was appointed as the exclusive US (and Canadian) distributor as of October 2019 (at least for "Hi-Fi" which is what the OP is after). There is a gent mentioned in that press release who is on the distribution side of Upscale, which is usually separate from the retail side. It might be worth contacting him to ask about the dealer network, where products can be auditioned, etc.
    Good luck. I know from past experience that when brands change distribution outlets, there is often some slippage in communications with customers.

21. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

That could be good news as the brand has certainly languished from a lack of focus by MUSIC. However, Upscale is likely to suffer from the same issues of availability that has plagued Tannoy Lifestyle for years.

22. SOS

SOS New Member

I'm in the same boat as you -- Philly guy looking to listen to some tannoys. Jeez, what a battle. They are way more popular in Europe and Asia than here in North America, evidently. I have an idea ... don't know if it's a good one. What if you and I went in on a pair (we'd have to agree on which pair) and neither of us liked them. Their policy is that if we return them, we'd pay for the shipment back to them, AND the cost of their initial shipment to us. Eating both of those costs would be too much for me. But I could see paying one side of that. We can take this off-channel to talk about this more if you're interested.

SOS

23. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Audio + Video Expressions is also listed as an Audio Research dealer. I stopped by there several times and no one answered the door. Finally got the owner on the phone and he said he doesn't stock any ARC gear but could order it for me. Really?

Billwojo

24. Billion$Baby

Louis is excellent to work with at AV Expressions. I don't know of ANY audio dealer that doesn't have appointment only schedule unless its a bigger franchise. Louis is a 1 Man show. Ive purchased my Audio Research 160M and REF 10 from Louis and he beat everybody else's price. He also gives great trade in value. Gave me more than 3X what I was offered at Overture in Delaware on my Shindo and Ayre gear. Your Loss Pal!!

25. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Bek Hifi in Allentown has just signed on with Tannoy. I forget what models he said he was bringing in, but give them a try. They are in Allentown and have a great shop attached to a record store. They love vinyl in there but also have nice digital rigs.

Anyone in Philly remember Sounded? They used to have like 25 showrooms.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    SOS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.