Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Of this list I own:
    31 Cerebral Rot, Odious Descent Into Decay ~ awesome old school dm

28 Magic Circle, Departed Souls ~ super sounds of the heavy seventies, loved it so much, had to track down their other release

26 Opeth, In Cauda Venenum ~ it's opeth, there's always 3 or 4 songs that I truly love

17 Haunt, If Icarus Could Fly ~ Trevor is the busiest and most prolific dude in the NWTHM, they've already got another Haunt release schedule for Jan, plus his other 2 bands, Beastmaker and one I can't remember the name of are rockin' too.

5 Tomb Mold, Planetary Clairvoyance ~ awesome old school dm

4 Crypt Sermon, The Ruins of Fading Light ~ brilliant doomy doom

I plan on getting:
    35 Vastum, Orificial Purge
    1 Blood Incantation, Hidden History of the Human Race

2. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

Hidden History of the Human Race is getting rave reviews everywhere. I am still struggling a bit to get fully into it but warming up with more listens.

deredordica and Dreadnought like this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I have the same number of six albums. Also Opeth and Tomb Mold. Yes that Blood Incantation is an insta-buy. :cool:

I got to song #4 and another very groovy song. I'm surprised there's a well produced live version. Surprised and delighted.

lenny nero and 100423 like this.
  4. Dreadnought

5. 100423

100423 Traversing The Dream

Missed out on the Magic Circle record. Really diggin' it.

Like what I've heard of the Dimholt, I will investigate more later.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  6. Dreadnought

I said to myself when the third notable song stands up I'm going to buy this. And the third song did not arrive. :rolleyes: I'll hear it all again so maybe two and a half songs are worth the purchase. :)
    I'm so surprised and pleased by the live video. It may seem the antithesis of live Rock n' Roll for a band to just stand there but I've always thought it exciting watching guys right into the playing of their instrument. As a kid I was fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd and their stage stoicism. Another person would call it boring. :)

Personal Rock trivia: every year end for grades 7 to 9 the school assembled in the auditorium/ lunch room to watch a film "The History of Rock". That was the one day a year to see Skynyrd, Zep, Rush in action. Best day of the year!

lenny nero likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I have 4: Gatecreeper, Devin, Abbath, Opeth. It should be 5 because Nile should be there :thumbsdow.

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  8. lenny nero

It's great isn't it? I love the singers voice.

Personal Rock Trivia: when I was in elementary school, like 2nd or third grade, so basically 1978/9, my class was herded into our little auditorium and were told by some people, who I don't think were teachers or administrators, to not to listen to KISS! KISS stood for Knights in Satan's Service and that it was bad to listen to them! In my little brain, too bad it hasn't grown much since then, I thought, "I guess I need to hide my KISS comic book then!" I hadn't started listening to my older brothers 8 track of ALIVE! yet, but I did dig Marvel Kiss comic book. As I got older I started to think that this memory wasn't real and it was some kinda metal urban legend but I did confirm it with my friend who remembers it as well.

Preach it bruva!

Brenald79, 100423 and Dreadnought like this.
  9. Dreadnought

KISS memories. :righton:
    I drew KISS on the back cover of my school notebook, grade 6 1976 and saw them live that September. I couldn't see much being 11 surrounded by 16-18 year olds. I was up on one kid's shoulders for a little while. I also noticed little pipes made of shells and other exotic materials.
    During one of those year end History of Rock screenings the gang of us took some pill called "teeze" or something. When the film ended and everyone stood I stayed seated foreseeing myself crash into the chairs if I stood. As the auditirium emptied I looked down the row at the gang and we were all still seated. :laugh:

Nothing special but I keep trying this despite its broad brush paint the wall with wide swaths of black.
    Strävan, by Murg

April 26, 2019

deredordica and lenny nero like this.
  10. Dreadnought

The Marras album of which I like the two songs released has a full stream. Still no sign of a bandcamp. My first thought upon hearing the drums was this.

[​IMG]

WithinYourReach and lenny nero like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This would be sad if it wasn't so damn funny.

ABBATH played a disastrous two-song concert in Buenos Aires, Argentina on Wednesday (November 13), resulting in some fans requesting a refund.

According to report on the local metal site El Culto, the doors to Club Palermo opened two hours later than scheduled, forcing support acts DESCARNADO and MEDIUM to play heavily abbreviated sets. When ABBATH finally took the stage, the group consisted only of its visibily inebriated namesake frontman (real name Olve Eikemo) alongside bassist Mia Wallace and drummer Ukri "Uge" Suvilehto. Rumors had spread earlier in the day that Abbath had gotten into an argument with guitarist Ole André Farstad, who reportedly decided to stay at the hotel and skip the gig.

ABBATH reportedly tried to open the concert with "Count The Dead" at least twice, only for the frontman to drop his guitar on the ground after 10 seconds and throw himself into the crowd. They then tried to perform a "very poor version" of the song "Tyrants" by Abbath's former band IMMORTAL, before Abbath left the stage and was taken to the dressing room, from which he did not re-emerge to finish the set.

The fans' anger quickly flooded social media, with many of them asking for the return of their money.

ABBATH was scheduled to perform tonight (Thursday, November 14) at El Sótano Pub in Comodoro Rivadavia, Chubut, Argentina, but that show was canceled by the promoter earlier today. The band was touring South America in support of its second album, "Outstrider", which was released in July via Season Of Mist. It is not presently clear if any of the other dates on the trek will be affected.

"Outstrider" marks ABBATH's second release since the frontman's exit from IMMORTAL. The highly publicized legal battle in 2014 over the rights to the IMMORTAL name pitted Abbathagainst co-founder Demonaz (real name: Harald Nævdal) and drummer Horgh (real name: Reidar Horghagen), with Abbath claiming the pair abandoned IMMORTAL after they moved their gear out of the band's rehearsal space. The Norwegian court systems determined otherwise, and awarded the IMMORTAL name to Demonaz.

12. Dreadnought

Getting wasted is all sorts of fun until it starts screwing up your job, home, family, friends. I can't imagine the increasing imprecision that alcohol brings working out well on stage. Although I wonder about former professional drunk, non-instrument playing Alice Cooper who incorporated it into his persona. The show did go on and he did escape the bottle eventually.

lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's clear that Olve has a problem with the bottle (this isn't the first Abbath is drunk onstage story), hopefully he can get the help/support he needs to improve his health.

14. lenny nero

ugh, you feel bad for the fans and for the bandmates.

Dreadnought, deredordica and Deuce66 like this.
  15. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Thank you for this. I spent quite a bit of time exploring this album on YouTube. I dig the traditional instruments and local flavor and accents.

16. Dreadnought

I hate the hiss of radio silence. An early morning single for Radio Grrrrr.

lenny nero likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'll admit to knowing zip about this band, new one out today.

18. Dreadnought

lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  19. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

Sad to hear about that Abbath concert. I wonder how this will affect their appearance in the Decibel tour, I already bought tickets for the Toronto stop.

I hope Olve can get the help he obviously needs. By my avatar you can see I have a big soft spot for the goofball, so I sincerely hope he gets better.

20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

A little 1349 from Chicago

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

This Murg was on my mind at work and played as soon as I got home. Not a lot happens during these eight songs, shades of monochrome painted broadly, reminded me of looking at Mark Rothko paintings.

[​IMG]

I even molested the album cover art, which I like a lot, by digitally painting over the words.

[​IMG]

I go to buy the album and paypal says

"Your account access is temporarily limited
    We're required to learn more about you and confirm your identity. Please provide some more information about yourself.

We need you to take action on your account. Some features in your account will be limited until you perform certain tasks on your account. You will be able to regain access to these features once you've completed these.
    Reference ID: PP-009-004-713-787

Upload a photo ID

Provide proof of your address

Questions for politically exposed people"

Sounds fishy to me but searching online and it seems legit but still I'm not uploading my passport pic and they already know my address. I'm perplexed but will wait and see how common this is.

lenny nero likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I would go straight to Paypal and confirm their user requirements, nowhere else.

23. Dreadnought

Thanks Deuce, yes for sure. Along with everyone else, I assume, I get a fair share of fishy fishings with a single letter changed for illegitimate web addresses. I just might phone them directly during the week. It seems an unreasonable burden to upload a driver's license or passport photo so I can spend a mere $8. If I was receiving $800 I could understand.

lenny nero likes this.
  24. Dreadnought

Picture post of related things that caught my eye.

Brilliant vinyl design by Behemoth
    [​IMG]

Sinmara
    [​IMG]

Nice bill
    [​IMG]

lenny nero and Brenald79 like this.
  25. Dreadnought

lenny nero likes this.