"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Yes. There is the 'opt in' feature

Elliottmarx likes this.
  2. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Ya they did. Because people weren't so lazy. You went to record store and searched for it. Clever :rolleyes: Anyone who can't find a copy isn't looking very hard.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Smokin Chains likes this.
  3. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Yes but is 'The Who' under 'T' or 'W'.... hmmmm

4. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Is there a record store within 30 miles of you? Do you have any way of knowing there IS new Who record out? If you think you heard there was, how will you learn more including what it might be called? These questions are not irrelevant to marketing music in the modern age.

5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

There's one decent Indie record store chain, left in my current city. One of USA largest cities, in the top 10, they have 5-6 stores....closest 8-10 miles. It's easier to just order the deluxe w bonus tracks from Target...online that is. There is probably a target within 10-15 miles, I'd hate to go there just for that reason on Dec 6th & they don't have any there.

Bomber1 likes this.
  6. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

As you probably know Pete didn't invent the internet until 1971. Having said that..... "Who's Next" was under "T" at Musicland and it was under "W" at Licorice Pizza!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  7. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I'm sure anyone who is already fully aware and intending to buy will have no difficulty at all. But in the 21st century people discover new things via searches having first stumbled over it. With this name they'll certainly still be able to, but it just makes it a little harder and requiring a degree of thought in the search. It's not a huge issue, but it is a bit of one.

8. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

I think that's why Universal bought the adverts that make it go to the top of the page.

Fullbug and Herman Schultz like this.
  9. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Again, no one is saying this makes things impossible, but wilfully refusing to acknowledge that it doesn't help, which is all anyone is saying, is a tad perverse.

The band's name is less than ideal for searching, then it's compounded by the album name which is just as bad. A search for "the who who" is less than profitable. It's not 1975 any more.

It's not a disaster, but it is a factor - if it wasn't, then businesses wouldn't spend so much money on SEO.

10. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

It's not perfect but anyone with a normal brain should have 0% trouble finding this LP. Thank goodness hey didn't call the group Google. :righton:

PhoffiFozz, Rich C and Fullbug like this.
  11. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Haven’t seen those. Are they coming?

12. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

If I search "Who" on Amazon US or UK, they're right at the top with a banner advertising the new album.

13. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Good catch! I hadn’t noticed that, but I use Google more often than Amazon for searches, even when shopping. It makes very, very good sense to sponsor that keyword on Amazon.

MPLRecords likes this.
  14. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Besides the official site store.. Amazon and iTunes will be where most go to get it.

MPLRecords likes this.
  15. johnny moondog 909

Just 3 weeks to go ! New WHO album !

PhoffiFozz, Herman Schultz and Goldy like this.
  16. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Just finished it myself. Started a thread here if you want to talk about it.

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Unless you want the 4 bonus tracks on the "Deluxe Edition" - sold only through Target (?). Or can you also get that on their website too?

18. johnny moondog 909

I saw a thing saying you can buy the bonus tracks on itunes , but not sure if that's individually or just an entire digital album copy....maybe someone else knows.

19. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

They will have them. Target and the Who site have the deluxe with 3 extra tracks. The only place to get 'sand' is on the vinyl on the official site or it is on of 4 extra tracks on the Japan edition. They will all be on Ebay within a short period of time I'm sure though.

slipkid and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  20. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

21. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

oneway23 and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  22. johnny moondog 909

John Lennon tried to give us the first great old man rock album at age 40. In 1980 with Double Fantasy..We ( many of us ) believed & thought gee..40 is so much older to be doing rock..how naive..Lennon himself believed it most...NOW We have perhaps the first true-great rock album..from a pair of guys 74 & 75 ....seemed inconcievable 20-30 years ago !!! ,& yet here we are !!!

A lot of the 70-80 year old classic artists still record, usually not that effectively....happily this new album WHO, might rank in the top 1/2 or even higher in their 55 year catalogue !!!

Opinions vary, & it is subjective...but averaging out all the albums reviews...critics seem to be saying it may rank as high as say 4th-7th in the WHO's 12 studio albums...which is remarkable, considering the quality of the catalogue & their age...

Others say you can't make those comparisons, it's asinine, its 50 years since Tommy, they are 74 & 75 & the other 2 died !...all true but...it's natural to compare as a reference point, & remarkably they seem to have come up with the goods !

Im just blabbing aloud as the clock ticks down...I'm hoping they release a 3rd song soon or do a promo broadcast where they debut a couple more tunes. Much as I dig Music Will Fade, I can only play it so many times !

Gardo and Quadboy like this.
  23. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

Comparisons might be fun, but ultimately meaningless... especially with this (about to be dropped) album. The band doesn't exist, the two survivors are many decades older (as I suspect many of us are too), times have changed... if newly penned Townshend tunes can still manage to resonate and strike a chord with listeners, then hat's off to Roy Harper!... I mean PT. And that's all any of us can hope for.

David Gilmour's and Mark Knopfler's recent solo records are fantastic and I take them for the time and place they were released, no comparisons to Dark Side Of The Moon or Brother In Arms necessary. Here's hoping we are all toe tapping to the sounds Messrs Daltrey & Townshend created with WHO.

johnny moondog 909 and WhoTapes1 like this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

Is it ok if I decide for myself, what's significant & or why ?....or how much value comparisons do or don't have...

For example my opinion differs with yours on the band "doesn't exist ".....I think because the 2 surviving members are Pete & Roger, it's legitimate WHO... roughly analagous to say if Lennon & McCartney were the surviving 2 Beatles, instead of Ringo & Paul... If it was Entwistle & Townshend or any other combination of just 2...I'd say NO...

At any rate we are all or ( many of us ) delighted the new album is nearly here !!!

I'm gonna play it 3-4 times back to back as released & intended.....THEN.. i'm gonna pick my 7-8 or 10 favorites & burn a personal copy, stacking all my favorites in a row !! THEN I'm gonna redo that 4-5 times, because I'm changing my mind about which ste my favorites...THEN I'm gonna tell WTF am I doing....and go back & play the official running order-disc again....THEN I'll start over !!!

I do take your views to heart dog ear, but if critics are placing the album somewhere around 5th-7th place in their 12 studio album canon...I'd say comparisons become quite important , especially as a measurement to just how big a deal it is to accomplish that...

Many here have chimed in saying based on Music Must Fade & Ball & Chain....the quality is roughly equivalent to It's Hard & the new as album falls in about 11 out of 12...I think it's gonna be better than that. Possibly placing between roughly 5th-7th in their studio canon...which to me is remarkable.

YEAAAAAAAAH WHO ! ALRIGHT

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Bomber1 likes this.
  25. Blaklazer

Blaklazer Forum Resident

based on their recent tours, rogers last 2 solo albums and endless wire, i am honestly expecting this to be top 5. I really enjoy the maturity in roger and petes modern work, both solo and as the who