Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Someone on another classical forum left a very positive review of I believe the second disc you have pictured. I have not heard either one, I will see about hearing them, particularly the one with Hammerklavier next time I am in the mood to hear it. I still have to listen Lucchesini's first studio recording which someone reminded me to.

Speaking of Hammerklavier, Hank Drake said Murray Perahia's DG recording is his desert island disc for it, but I found the fugue ordinary and lacking in that late Beethoven transcendence that great performances have. He does take the opening movement at a good brisk pace, but that was all I enjoyed about it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I have the Lucchesini set--it's one of my favorites. Osborne is a little more intense--hits a little harder but doesn't fall into the category of banging. I agree that Perahia's isn't all that great. Sure, if it were the only one available it would be fine, but there are many others that are more gripping. The audio isn't as clear and present as a typical DG recording, so that might lessen the impact.

hvbias likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

0ne if mine too!

hvbias likes this.
  4. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

This LP arrived today. I've heard several other works by both composers that I liked, but these string quartets didn't do much for me. Even Schoenberg's are more expressive! The super-dry sound doesn't help, but in a way I guess it suits the dry, academic style of the music. Maybe I'll give it a second listen some day.

[​IMG]

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I think that makes all four of us :D But yes that cycle is amazing and one of my reference level cycles, I love what he does in the fugue of the Hammerklavier. I was referring to the earlier recording he made for EMI, this is one I can't remember anything about that I have been meaning to revisit.

Before Perahia, this was the last one I listened to which I need to play some more to make up mind on (he is a student of Maria Tipo):

[​IMG]

6. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

That Goerner is available on Qobuz. It has received very good reviews. I'll listen to it tomorrow.

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning I am listening to the Symphony Hall station on Sirius/XM. Playing Vaughn Williams, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Talis, Sir John Barbirolli conducting the New Philharmonia. I wish classical music was appreciated more than it is-I enjoy their station( along with Met Opera station) but so much more could be done. Oh well, when I travel in the car, it is a constant companion. This morning I am listening at home-I have a portable Sirius Radio with base which can broadcast the signal into any radio tuned to a certain FM frequency-in my case my vintage Telefunken Opus 6 tubed monstrous “table” radio.

8. George P

Speaking of Barbirolli, I listened to this today:

[​IMG]

yasujiro, Wes H and Daedalus like this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

Since it's been awhile, I've decided to listen through this great set over the next week or so. Now enjoying the three Op. 9 sonatas.

Originally, I was going to listen through Gilels incomplete set on DG, but his slowish tempos in the outer movements didn't work for me tonight.

Eigenvector likes this.
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Excellent choice. I also went through this set (LP version) this past summer and enjoyed it thoroughly.

As for Gilels, the only Beethoven sonata recordings I have (of his) that I can recall are the Pathetique and Moonlight. I may have more stashed in the "Beethoven" shelves, but they must not have impressed me beyond a single playing.
    That said, I very much like his performances of the Beethoven Piano Concertos with George Szell (on Angel/EMI).

George P and Daedalus like this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening to cd2 from the Early Orchestral Recordings section of DG120 box set. This CD features recordings of music excerpts conducted by Bruno Walter, Richard Strauss, Otto Klemperer, Erich Kleiber, Pietro Mascagni, Max Von Schillings with Berliner Philharmoniker or Staatskapelle Berlin. All from 1920-1928.

George P and Wes H like this.
  12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Got the Celibidache/MPO recording of Dvorak's 9th. My crappy bootleg can now be put out to pasture thanks to this quality official release. Celi is a wonderful interpreter of Dvorak's music. I hope they give us the 7th one day.

[​IMG]

Wes H and George P like this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

Found this used today and listening to it a home, I am disappointed that he plays these works in a very laid back way, with slow tempos and climaxes that never seem to catch fire. Luckily, it wasn't an expensive CD.

14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

"Laid back" and "slow" is definitely not the way to deliver the Chopin Ballades.

George P likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Fabulous program and fabulous performance by Ivan Moravec on this Nonesuch LP from 1984.

[​IMG]

layman and George P like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Does anyone know if this was ever released on CD? Did a search but couldn't find anything.

17. George P

[​IMG]

Still working my way through this fine set.

18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have no idea, but I can give you additional credits from the LP which may assist you (or anyone else) in the search.

Produced and Engineered by Max Wilcox
    Recorded March and April, 1982, at RCA Studio "A," New York
    Mastering: Michele Stone, KM Records.

Released (C) 1984 Elektra/Asylum/Nonesuch Records (A Division of Warner Communications)

It's likely that Warner still owns the rights to this.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks. Searched again but found nothing - on CD, that is, so I'm pretty sure it has never been released on CD.

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Wes H likes this.
  21. George P

I have that set, it is lovely. The person who mastered that set is the original producer, E. Alan Silver. I like the sound of this incarnation of the Moravec Nocturnes more than the other two.

Still, I think Arrau is even better in this repertoire. The 50 Great Recordings masterings on Philips has the best mastering of these performances that I have heard:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Wes H and yasujiro like this.
  22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I must have it.

George P likes this.
  23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Just finished playing J.S. Bach Toccatas BWV 910, 912, & 913.
    Glenn Gould, piano.
    Columbia Masterworks LP released February 4, 1979.

[​IMG]

Recording: Eaton Auditorium, Toronto, October & November 1976.
    Producer: Andrew Kazdin.
    (My white label "demo" LP came from Andrew Kazdin's collection.)

24. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I'm always floored when you post this little tidbit. I don't know why but I think it's funny to imagine Andrew Kazdin with a collection of his own LPs at home :biglaugh:

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Uh... I don't get it... but, ok. :shrug: