Disney+, long-rumored Disney streaming service, launching in late 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

A lot of fan service!

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I accidentally signed up for Disney+ yesterday without subscribing and now the account isn't cancelled.

3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Disney are going to fix the aspect ratio on the old episodes of The Simpsons
    Credit to them I suppose for fixing what has been one of the bigger criticisms about the service even if it won't be available until next year.

4. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Nope, I was shown (by your description) the exact same footage in grade 8 history (in 2013)

Frangelico and AKA like this.
  5. Efus

Efus Senior Member

The "Censored Eleven"
    Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny are classic cartoon characters, but I think most would agree this probably wouldnt be great to air to kids today.

Tex Avery's last Bugs cartoon, and the only BB cartoon on the list. First aired in theaters in 1941.

Kossoff is God likes this.
  6. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Starting my journey through the Disney Animated features, I watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Pinocchio this morning. Both looked really beautiful and high quality. It really is a treasure having all of these wonderful films right at our fingertips. No streaming problems at all for me.

Snow White
    remains a lovely, charming film--very wholesome. The pacing is so different from a modern animated film. There are long segments without any plot development--just humor and music and showing the beautiful animation. I hadn't seen Pinocchio in years and years. It used to scare me quite a bit as a child--it's a film full of scary predators. I loved it today. Amazing animation, strong lessons for kids and a great contrast of warm, cozy scenes with the terrifying sequences on Pleasure Island and in Monstro's belly.

Walt Disney and his animation team (especially the nine old men) were geniuses. They enriched so many lives over several generations. I'm seeing all the complaints about Disney+ (and it's wonderful that they have heard feedback on The Simpsons aspect ratio thing) and I can't help but feel like many are looking a gift horse in the mouth. If a service like this were available when I was growing up, I would have been over the moon. It really makes me happy that children today will have this option.

Disney, after all, is for the young and the young at heart. Always has been.

forthlin, Dignan2000, Exotiki and 2 others like this.
  7. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

It blows my mind to think Walt and crew were able to make these beautiful works of art 80 years ago. Imagine going to a movie theater in 1938 and 1940 and seeing these movies; talkies only became a thing ten years earlier, and now they had fully animated, colorful musicals.

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Simpson will be uncropped starting in 2020 on Disney+.

Leviethan, forthlin, bradman and 2 others like this.
  9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I emailed them and nicely asked if SONG OF THE SOUTH would be available.... I said it was well done and i would pay $10 a month to see good movies like that..

Not surprisingly they didnt reply........... (I didnt think they would)

10. AKA

Song of the South is unavailable for a very good reason. There are tons and tons of non-racist good movies on Disney+.

NaturalD, 905, SRC and 3 others like this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Got a year free from Verizon Unlimited. Good deal.

AKA likes this.
  12. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

Song of the South isn’t nearly as bad as you think it is. I recently watched it on archive.org and while it wouldn’t fly today if released in theaters, I think not releasing it on Blu-ray or Disney+ is pretending it doesn’t exist. Hell, at Disney World, Splash Mountain is even based off of it and no one is yelling at Disney to tear it down.

13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Have you ever actually WATCHED song of the south?

14. AKA

Yes.

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

One strange thing I've noticed in Disney+ is that some of the TV series are out of order. Phineas and Ferb is one example; the first episode listed is "It's About Time" but the actual first episode is "Rollercoaster/Candace Loses Her Head" which is positioned as Episode 8. It took me a minute to figure it out - I first thought that maybe the complete series wasn't featured, but it's all there, just out of order.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Heard the same thing about the Ducktales reboot. Clearly there are some issues at rollout.

I wonder if it's a production order/airdate order issue.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That occurred to me but I know in the case of Phineas and Ferb there was actually a different voice actor for Phineas in the first few episodes and that includes the first aired episodes.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Launched in Australia this morning. Signed up for the 7-day trial. Started watching the 1990s Spider-Man series. Speaking of Spider-Man I assume Disney own the 60s series as well?

19. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

21. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Recess and Doug are both on Disney+. Pepper Ann isn’t - too bad, because that had the most laughs of the three.

Dan C likes this.
  22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes I have it and I think its one of disneys BEST movies!!!! (Nothing @ all racist about it)

23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

How do you do that? I have Verizon Unlimited.

24. AKA

It’s not racist if your definition of “racism” is limited to racial epithets and cross-burnings. The racism in Song of the South is much deeper than that, and I’d encourage you to listen to why people object to its content.

The controversy surrounding the film is nothing new, by the way. The NAACP condemned the movie from day one, and it was picketed in its original release (see the photo below).

Just How Racist Is Disney’s ‘Song of the South’?

[​IMG]

NaturalD and Dan C like this.
  25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Any arguments over the content and quality of Song of the South aside, there's no legitimate reason it shouldn't be released. All Disney has to do is slap a "This is of its time, and it certainly doesn't reflect us now" banner at the beginning much like Warner Brothers did.

And dammit, I want a 4K "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".

Dude111 and BeatleJWOL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.