Rick and Morty - Season 4 (and beyond)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daca, Nov 10, 2019.

1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation Thread Starter

Finally! After 771 days (including today) the much anticipated Season 4 starts tonight. I know some have never watched, and some hate, but this is an absolute great, and underrated show.

Enjoy Doc and Marty, I mean Rick and Morty in Season 4, Ep. 1: Edge of Tomorty; Rick Die Rickpeat.

Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!!!

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I love the show, although I don't enjoy it as much when they toy around with the mortality of the characters. I mean, I totally understand that there are infinite universes and that nothing really matters.........but when the writers emphasize this fact by discarding characters (or entire realities) as if it's just whimsical fun, then my entertainment level tends to drop.

So, for that reason, last night's episode was not a favorite. It was basically 29 minutes of gratuitously screwing with the audience, just for a Twilight-Zone-twist-ending.

Bluesman Mark, RK2249 and daca like this.
  3. daca

Agree. But how else are Justin and Dan gonna get all that merch money from Pop-Funko? The beanie babies of the 21st century.

Agree on both statements. I had a LOT higher expectations with (a) a 70 episode commitment from Adult Swim and (b) the fact that they had 770 days to write/re-wrtite/re-re-write/etc. the script/plot and have it animated.

I hope the new ones going forward will revert back to classic Rick and Morty.

RK2249 likes this.
  4. swandown

I don't really care if it reverts back to "classic" Rick and Morty. IMO, there's really no such thing. R&M is a flexible concept, and many different aspects of it can qualify as "classic".

But when they kill popular characters, or have those characters indiscriminately kill others, or destroy entire realities, it tends to weaken the emotional attachment of the audience. And I think Harmon and Roiland realize this, which is why Rick said in the Cronenberg episode, "It's not like we can do this every week, anyways. We get three or four more of these, tops."

They know that the audience won't keep tuning in if there's not some semblance of continuity. So, hopefully, they won't go nuclear every single week.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode, just not as much as I've enjoyed other episodes.

RK2249 likes this.
  5. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Yeah, I was underwhelmed. Wasn't a bad episode but it wasn't all that good either.

So they advertised 5 new episodes, which I mistakenly assumed were all in one night. So we get 5 weeks of R&M, then what?

daca likes this.
  6. swandown

I did enjoy many of the sub-jokes, such as Fascist Morty being obsessed with having a "classic" Rick And Morty Adventure featuring callbacks to previous characters, or the fact that Rick accused Summer of "ruining the episode" (even though she wasn't even in it). :laugh:

daca likes this.
  7. daca

lol. Unfortunately, No binging on a cable tv show. If they had all the season 4 episodes premiere Sunday, I would have watched all, and taken a PTO day on Monday.

S4E5 premieres December 8. That will be it for Season 4 in 2019.

They will still air the other 5 episodes of Season 4 sometime in 2020. Most likely during sweeps in February, May or possibly July. Then again, it’s Roiland and Harmon. They will air them whenever they please. (But it will be 2020.)

RK2249 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I didn't jump onboard till season 3 so maybe hardcore fans have bigger expectations but I enjoyed the first episode. The wasp dinner scene was frickin' hilarious. I personally hope these guys just keep doing what they are going to do.

daca likes this.
  9. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I thought this show was too sophisticated to be doing episode-long poop jokes. I guess I was wrong. :cry:

10. swandown

It wasn't just a poop joke. It was an episode-long build-up to an existential crisis disguised as a poop joke.

Vidiot, BeatleJWOL, daca and 3 others like this.
  11. daca

This week’s episode, One Flew Over The Crewcoo’s Morty, was a little over my head, as I did not see the original Ocean’s 11, nor any of the sh!tty remakes: Ocean’s 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 or 20. Wait. I think they stopped the sequels at 19. Regardless they were all crap.

Fortunately, I have seen a few David Lynch movies so I got that one. And the Elon character was hilarious.

“It’s showtime Morty, and I don’t mean a bad impression of HBO, I mean time for a show.”

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This season has been great so far. Loved all three episodes!

daca likes this.
  13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Does Dan Harmon really hate heist movies or what? There's at least three (just off the top of my head) 'Community' episodes that centered around making fun of 'em and now he needs to do it a fourth time with R&M? Don't get me wrong, it was still funny and chaotic and violent and whatnot, but I did feel like this was covering pretty well-worn territory. Have there been a lot of recent heist movies that I missed? Is this still a thing? I mean, okay, there was 'Widows', but that did a pretty good job of avoiding the clichés, didn't it?

daca likes this.
  14. Bender Rodriguez

You son of a bitch, I'm in!

15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

So far it's been a mixed bag. I'd say the one consistently great episode was the premiere. After that, the toilet sub plot was good but the app one seemed half baked.

This Sunday's episode was clever - but the whole Elon Tusk thing seemed forced.

daca likes this.
  16. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I can only hope the remaining episodes get better. I loved the season premiere but then the rest have just dropped off. Adult Swim's other best cartoon The Venture Brothers did a heist episode last season

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  17. BulldogMurph

BulldogMurph New Member

Can't say how much I love the show. That being said, it seems like this season has been forced so far. Almost like Roiland and Harmon didn't expect to get renewed,and when they finally were, they rushed to produce what we've seen so far. Here's hoping the remaining episodes get back to the story/timeline laid out in the first 3 seasons. The evil Morty cliffhanger left me begging for more and I really hope the boys don't disappoint. Because so far this season has been nothing but independently decent episodes. I think I speak for most of us when I say we want some continuity with the storyline from the previous seasons. I really hope the hiatus caused by the contract negotiations didn't ruin what this phenomenal show could have been.

daca and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  18. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The snake episode was ridiculous but also pretty funny. I wouldn't say it ranked with the best Rick and Morty episodes, but it felt like the most Rick and Morty of all the episodes so far this year.

daca and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  19. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

This season was not a complete let-down but I came away disappointed. I hope the series regains that comedy chemistry next year. Do yourself a favor and buy the seasons on DVD/Blu-ray to watch them completely uncensored.

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This season did seem to have a pattern of a whole lot of rigamarole for one final payoff joke where there was less of a consistent thread throughout the shows. I don't think they completely fell apart and each had some solid bits at times in the middle, but just didn't seem to be as strong or as tight maybe. I know this is overstating it but that was a whole lot of I don't know what in episode five to see Morty get a black eye.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My god, what a great show. We just started watching it in our house because everything in LA is shutdown, and we're totally digging the show. Amazing writing, fantastic voice work, and the animation gets much better and more imaginative as time goes on. It's a good-a show-a!

[​IMG]

This is definitely the kind of show that you have to stop and rewatch segments to catch the moments you missed because you were screaming laughing at 3 in the morning. BTW, I was blown away to find out that co-creator Justin Roiland does the voices of both Rick and Morty, which is quite a juggling act. And I was also surprised to learn that their head animation producer Michael Mendel died a few months ago, which has apparently had a terrible slowing effect on their schedule and future.

Also a big fan of Venture Bros., and that has some loose sci-fi connections with this show.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  22. Bender Rodriguez

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, that was great... but the real show would have had more laughs.

24. Bender Rodriguez

New episodes starting May 3!!!!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It looks like they're staying current with the news...

[​IMG]