It’s Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking ’West Side Story’

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jan 25, 2018.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Remakes are tiresome. Especially remakes of classic movies. They always **** it up!

2. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I hope this remake does better than Ansel Elgort's last film.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Spielberg is a huge fan of soundtrack music in general and is surprisingly knowledgeable about quite a few genres. I've seen interviews with him and John Williams, and I was amazed that their conversations referenced lots of different kinds of classic film scores from the last 60-70 years.

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I am cautiously optimistic about this. It sounds like he is at least staying faithful to the score.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Man, I watched the original film last night. From the opening overture to the closing credits. God, it's simply magnificent. A perfect storm of acting, dancing, music, and story. Groundbreaking in so many ways, Rita Moreno absolutely deserved her Oscar, the historic dancing, the legendary music, the snaps! I am now convinced that Spielberg picked the WRONG project, he's in a lose/lose situation. I'm more excited about WSS opening on Broadway again than I am for this movie!

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Could not agree with you more on all counts.

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yeah, much as I think Tony Kushner is a genius, I'm not looking forward to this. As you said, the movie is perfect as is.
    I have tix for the Broadway revival, which I'm very excited about.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Why can you accept a new version on stage but not on screen?

Steve Litos and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. ralphb

Because I'm not a huge Spielberg fan, and I'm afraid he and Kushner might be tempted to "update" the movie into a more politically/socially acceptable statement. I would very much like to be wrong on this.
    The stage is an entirely different medium, and director Ivo van Hove is know for his deconstructions of plays like "The Crucible" and "A View From The Bridge". His stage version of the film "Network" was audacious and a high wire act of giddy proportions. You kind of know what you're getting into with him.

10. There’s an additional bullet point I realized years ago (when I first saw The Thing); there will be films that are critically hated and/or box office failures that, will later, be critically reappraised with the hindsight of 20/20 minus the pre-existing bias of said critics or a change in critical thought.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. You forgot “Always”. Not exactly memorable but it was a remake.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Excellent point. I’ve pointed this out myself before that we’ve had stage revivals and new versions of a variety of stage plays and musicals. In some cases, they vary only by casting yet that IS acceptable but, somehow, because film is a permanent medium, different rules apply.

13. Curious that he neglects to mention Robert Wise who direct the first film.

14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I remember reading of a WSS revival on Broadway earlier this century, when Arthur Laurents was still alive.
    IIRC, this version had the Puerto Rican characters sing?? talk?? in Spanish wholly or partly or perhaps Spanglish of some sort when amongst themselves. Did anyone here see this production?
    I also recall that, Sondheim said that, if he wrote the lyrics again, he'd make Maria's songs less " Broadway "-clever in internal rhymes and such, to more literally reflect the character's naievete (Sp??) and FOB-ness - Not that he actually did rewrite the lyrics, but that he said " If I were to do it now...'.
    BTW,:mad: a ways ago I posted about the announced planned movie remake of GUYS AND DOLLS and got, IIRC, NO response! Also speaking of Post-War B'Way Classics, to-day's SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE/SF GATE has an interview with Erik Preminger, the son of Gypsy Rose Lee, discussing the continued popularity of her GYPSY musical and a planned new film " reportedly under development " from Amy Sherman-Palladino is mentioned...(If we just had an " ecdysiast " 'moji:D:p:goodie:!!!!!!!)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I quite enjoyed it, especially how they updated swords and daggers to brands of firearms. I was listening to a podcast the other day that featured a Shakespeare expert who loved the film, and considered it one of the very best adaptations of the story.

wayneklein and WLL like this.
  16. I think one’s attitude to this is influenced by how they feel about more traditional interpretations vs. more radical reworkings in terms of settings, etc.

17. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...What themed in Romeo and J. would be politically incorrect w/to-day's audience?

18. Unless its a period piece...set in the 1950s, the script/story should be updated...

19. ralphb

Don't agree. West Side Story takes place in the 50's , the original stage production was in 1957, updating it will probably ruin it or at least render it toothless. As I said above somewhere, hope I'm wrong.
    Edward Albee made it specific in his will that his plays are to be presented as written and with his casting choices. Wise man.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Uhhh... not me.
    1. The advertising campaign has included two-page spreads in the NYT Arts & Leisure section splattered with review quotes from the original production with no acknowledgement that they're not reviews of this production.
    2. The actor playing Bernardo was fired by NY City Ballet - where he was a principal - for being part of a clique of male dancers who circulated nude photos of their female "conquests" (a New Yorker story covers details of the accompanying NSFW texts).
    3. Van Hove has made some changes that I won't list here so as to not reveal spoilers (articles detailing the changes are easy enough to find), but I will warn those with tickets that there is now no intermission, so plan your pre-show beverage consumption accordingly.

ralphb likes this.
  21. ralphb

Nothing in #'s 1 or 2 is a deal breaker for me, I'm going because it's van Hove directing.
    A two hour play with no breaks is becoming common, so yeah, like dogs we cut off our liquid consumption at an appropriate time.:)
    Just saw the 7 hour, two part "Inheritance" on Broadway and man, you had to see the lines at intermission.:laugh:

22. NickCarraway

Yes on both.

There was a revival to which Lin-Manuel Miranda contributed some Spanish dialog and lyrics. I saw the touring production.

And Sondheim wasn't fond of some of the lyrics to "I Feel Pretty" - particularly "stunning and entrancing" and "advanced state of shock" - as being reflective of how Maria and her friends would speak.

("FOB" = "Fresh Off The Boat"?)

WLL likes this.
  23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Da, that be " FOB " long-style.

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I can deal with radical interpretations of an original work, but IMHO, Romeo + Juliet was a bad movie by any account.

Romeo and Juliet is a story that can be remade any number of ways and still be successful. It could take place on a Martian colony and still be successful.

It is, after all, THE classic love story.

While you can remake any classic, the original will still stand above others.

Perhaps Steven will take on The Wizard of Oz for his next project?

ET could play the part of Toto.

25. NickCarraway

Meanwhile we wait for one classic movie version of -- well -- look at my screen name and avatar.

SandAndGlass likes this.