The Mandalorian-Star Wars Live Action Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ries

ries Forum Resident

Its okay I think? Dave Filoni is involved so I see this more as a live action Clone Wars/Rebels/Resistance (especially if you also look at the running times) then something Id compare with the films.

FVDnz likes this.
  2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I like it. I find the complaints about the episode length weird as they both feel complete and I do not need them to be padded. Heck, one of the best Star Wars TV products to date was Genndy Tartakovsky's hand animated Clone Wars series for Cartoon Network, and the first batch of those episodes were only a couple of minutes each.

I would much rather have it this way than add a 10-15 minute subplot about Trade Federation political maneuvering. :laugh:

3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Right, that's why I put "good guy" in quotes, and that's why I didn't call him a hero.

He's a protagonist who commits murder without consequence. OK. That can work in noir settings, but I'm not so sure that audiences will accept it in the Disneyfied world of Star Wars. Even when it happened in other installments of the franchise (e.g., Rogue One), the killers ultimately paid for their deeds with their lives.

The Mandalorian might be the first time in the Star Wars live-action universe that a protagonist committed unjustified murder without being punished for it in some way.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's interesting, especially with the blatant hanging-off-of-the-tank action scene lift from Indiana Jones, where the antagonists most certainly were the bad guys.

5. swandown

I think you can justify killing people during the hanging-on-the-sandcrawler scene (because those people were trying to kill him by pushing him into the rock wall). But I was specifically referring to other scenes where he straight up kills people who were just minding their own business and had done nothing that justified such extreme retribution.

Again, this sort of thing might work in noir films and "Breaking Bad", but in the Star Wars Universe? It just doesn't seem right to me.

6. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

The first episode was promising, the second was a huge waste of time. The believability of the Mogwai Yoda just hovering around and always being out of harms way, and he dropped his gun and always seems to get it back without much fuss. I did like the fact that little Jawas are obliterated....but the second episode story added little value to the character other than he seems to be a really good mechanic and doesn't need to eat much.

7. swandown

Imagine if "Star Wars" had gone like this:

Luke: But why would Imperial troops want to slaughter Jawas?

Ben: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Don't you think "slaughter" is a bit harsh? These Jawas illegally scavenged parts from Imperial property! They knew what they were getting into. Plus, they totally tried to sell your uncle a DEFECTIVE R2 UNIT!! They're not so innocent, from a certain point of view.

FVDnz likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Seems like the general consensus is that the show's 'alright'. Star Wars product needs to be better than alright. But while everything I've read so far doesn't inspire confidence in its longevity, AND even though the show seems to be skewed to a somewhat 'older'audience, IMO the younger audience may be the show's saving grace! If enough of the kids are watching.....

9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

We should call him Gizmo Yoda....pretty much a Mogwai after all...don't get him wet! I loved when he ate that frog...yum!

10. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

They were stealing his livelihood and trapping him on a planet with a high-value asset/target. They also stole his arsenal of weapons, leaving him with what he had on his person to fight people after the asset.

Are parked cars without occupants abandoned?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  11. swandown

Murder has never before been considered to be acceptable retaliation to theft -- not in the live-action Star Wars universe at least.

Seriously, can you name another example of a protagonist committing murder and not paying an equivalent price for their actions?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Also, the Jawas weapons were nothing more than phasers set to stun. His gun evaporated those little varmints! What's with the egg? He wasted all that time, trouble and energy for that? Just poor writing IMO

13. Hyacinth House

The consequences of that theft could result in his death, that’s a lot different than someone stealing my copy of L.A. Woman.

I can’t produce an example, but maybe he will pay the price, we’re only 120 minutes into the series. Why can’t this show be different than the previous films, he isn’t a Jedi after all?

Stormrider77 likes this.
  14. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Exactly. After all we are dealing with the extreme underbelly of this galaxy in this series. Gangsters, bounty hunters different factions wanting control and power over territories and things.
    This isn't the Skywalker Saga and Jedi stories this is something different, just set in a galaxy we think we know, yet it's a galaxy that is really in turmoil.
    Think about what our world might be like if all the governments collapsed. This is really what happened at the end of Return of the Jedi. The new Republic is struggling to restore order across a galaxy, there are Empire sympathizers, New Republic sympathizers, and power vacuums across the galaxy, wide spread crime, etc.

This series should show us a galaxy we thought we knew, but don't really, we've only been privy to a tiny slice of the galaxy so far.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  15. Hyacinth House

You make a good point about the instability of the galaxy, even currency is unstable.

JFSebastion likes this.
  16. DetroitDoomsayer

the Mandalorian: "Imperial credits?"

Greef Karga: "They still spend."

still the Mandalorian refuses them.

It's only been 5 years since the downfall of the Empire, there's enough turmoil in the galaxy that eventually (within 20 years) the First Order rises and is in a position to take over the galaxy.

Remember the scope here, too.
    The Empire and Rebellion isn't a fight like a country here on Earth (which in and of itself can lead to years of hardship) we're talking about a galaxy, with hundreds or thousands, maybe even millions of worlds that need to be reorganized into a cohesive government. In a power vacuum of this scope it will give rise to warring states, gangsterism, tribal disputes and a whole manner of ugliness. That's where we are at with this series. This is the "world" that The Madalorian inhabits.

Looking forward to the Cassian Andor (Rogue One) series. Espionage and a slowly building rebellion... Yes please!

marmalade166 and Hyacinth House like this.
  17. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Comfortable in swamps = Bogwai

Linger63 and cyclistsb like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I like the western feel.
    Mandalorian is good but certainly not no where close to being great.
    Many new series go for a wider format with 2.00 or 2.35(for the Mandalorian).
    I guess they want it to look like a movie... but it does not, it looks extremly digital and TVish to me.

If you want to go for the that big scope movie feel, then maybe you should have a better script and production

JFSebastion likes this.
  19. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Baby yoda!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Or rather yodas son

Vidiot likes this.
  20. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

It reminded me of the old SNES Star Wars game where you had to climb up a sand-crawler. The Star Wars universe is rich enough that there are plenty of Easter Eggs to include.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Can Disney please make a baby yoda/yodas son plush, cause I’d buy 5
    :love:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Any know why disney had all the StarWars movies but not Solo ?

23. DetroitDoomsayer

I assume because the Netflix license hasn't expired yet, but I'm not sure how all that works.

bru87tr likes this.
  24. It looks like an expensive show with great FX, but both episodes bored me to death, and I'm a huge Star Wars fan.

25. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I like the show. Just watched the third episode.

danielbravo and bru87tr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.