Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have not gotten to DaP 32 yet in earnest. Has anyone figured out where the mix differences are? I am guessing the bulk of it is Rex's mix from the trunks filled in with Kidd's mix from the vault.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Whatevs.
    I'm more into the Mayer era Dead like all the other cool kids nowadays.

(and yes, Im only goofing around, so calm yr patchouli down....)

footlooseman, trd and rufus t firefly like this.
  3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

In the midst of my third pass through Dave’s Picks 32. At first I was feeling like disc one wasn’t grabbing me as much tonight but that may have just been where I was at in the moment. Then suddenly there was a point during Wave That Flag where I realized I’d stopped reading threads on my iPad and was waving my fist in the air to the beat...

I’m in the middle of disc two now - the last four songs of the first set (HCS, Me & Bobby McGee, Loser, PITB) are worth the price of admission. And there’s plenty of good stuff in set II where I’m heading now.

4. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Finished this up yesterday and really enjoyed it, much like I recall from back in the days of tape / CD trading. The sound quality is a nice upgrade to what previously circulated. Phil has great presence when turned up.

The first set has all the classic 73 songs played very well with just enough spirit to make it better than normal. There is a real sense of joy in the music that night.

The Playing in the Band Jam was especially engaging. I love the fluid Bob solo which is always a good sign IMO.

The crowd reaction to the China>Rider was immense even on the SBD.

I love how they slowed down and teased Dark Star at the beginning of the big jam pretty much making it more of a Dark Star Jam than a Truckin one, hence the 4 minute version following it. They almost could have sang the second verse and it would have made sense!

And the Sing Me Back Home was goosebump inducing. Such a delicate quality to it. When Donna comes in with her soaring vocals it felt like one of her finest moments.

All in all a killer show. Historically my favorite from this March tour and that hasn’t changed upon relistening.

I love how there are still shows like this waiting to be released. It’s possible that 2019 just may be my favorite year yet for the DVP series and that’s saying something.

5. Got a show and a half from the Giants box to digest before I get into 32.

ARK and AlienRendel like this.
  6. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

Odd drum sound on this one...I like the release, but...

I really like DiP 28 from the previous month...on it the cymbals are prominent...again, a bit odd. Eyes of the World is a song where the cymbals really stand out on this release.

Something different happening on that tour with recording technique? DiP 14 from later in the year doesn’t have the same drums/cymbals prominence in the recording and is one of my favorite releases.

Lil' Brian likes this.
  7. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I’ve always found that each tour has it’s own unique settings and quirks in terms of the mix and recording. Just one of the ways each era is distinguishable.

The band and it’s staff were always looking to improve things leading to constant tweaks. The drum mics certainly may have been placed a bit differently from tour to tour (heck even show to show). And Billy may have had slight changes in equipment.

Our personal preferences can come in to play when listening which is totally fine. The subtle differences between tours and recording techniques is part of the fun.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident Thread Starter

1379 arrived today. Took under 2 weeks to arrive which was a good surprise. I just need to find 4 hours to listen to it now

9. Further

Further Forum Resident

Why is dead.net collecting tax on Dave’s Picks orders to Canada?

I’ve never had that happen before and was actually considering backing out of the purchase when PayPal redirected me back to Warner and completed the transaction before I could review it.

The exchange rate is enough as it is and I’d like to know wtf they are doing by collecting tax on Canadian orders.

Providing I am unable to cancel this subscription, this will probably be my last year.

10. Further

Further Forum Resident

Well, I fired off emails to two different addresses to get this thing cancelled. Can you believe they are still transitioning into their new warehouse? Haha. Longest move ever. Anyway, we’ll see how long it takes them to move on this cancellation. Unfortunately, it looks like I’m done with the Dave’s Picks series. It’s a bummer but there’s a lot of factors here that just don’t make it worth it anymore for those outside of the U.S..

ARK, Doggiedogma, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

That's a good point, I also saw that but was too hurried to question the $5.65 sales tax. It works out to about 5%. What US sales tax is 5%, because that is precisely the rate of the GST in Canada. Are they collecting it for our government, much like eBay pre-collects the duty charges? Trouble with the GSP is I've never had any one single shipment that was valued under $100 tagged by customs and charged duty or GST. All those "import fees" are another profit for eBay, as none of the money goes to any actual customs agency.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  12. Further

Further Forum Resident

Right. Well, mine was another $20 tax on top, so coming out to about $175 total, which kills this deal for me.

ARK, Doggiedogma and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. citizensmurf

What is the HST in Ontario?

14. Further

Further Forum Resident

13%

15. citizensmurf

Hmmm. Anyone else out there have different tax amounts charged for the new subscription?

16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Someone mentioned a possible change in sources between playing and promised land. Which would make sense if there were issues with each source being incomplete or containing cuts in each set.

I thought I noticed a change in sources right at the end of truckin in the outro type jam but before they get into the jam proper. I wonder if one of the sources had a cut in the big jam. I'll go back and get the exact time stamp where I thought that was. Hold please.

Crispy Rob, bmoregnr and US Blues like this.
  17. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Ok just went back and listened. I think I noticed a change at 6:14 of truckin there is a change in hiss or treble. Could be a change in levels or a reel flip in one of the sources.

18. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

Clearly the warehouse transitioning is still causing issues . . or maybe it’s just general ineptitude at Dead.net or Rhino: you decide.

I purchased one subscription to the 2019 Dave’s Picks series.
    I received my copy of Da32 last week.
    Today I get a package in the mail containing . . yes, you guessed it . . another copy of Da32.
    Did I mention I purchased ONE subscription to the 2019 Dave’s Picks series?

So assuming they really did sell out of Da32 a few weeks ago, I assume an unfortunate buyer out there won’t be getting a copy of this puppy. But I guess in typical Dead fashion, everything is “just exactly perfect”.

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Extended lunch break at deadnet

[​IMG]

20. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I am dealing directly with the Warners to try to get CD replacements for my Woodstock box and it's the same ducking game. :(

21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I highly recommend taking the 20 minutes and calling Dead.net, it was the only way I could get any resolution to my plethora of issues.

22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Maybe you have @PhoffiFozz ‘s missing copy?

23. Guy Smiley

Which would normally be great, but c’mon! Some level of professionalism is expected.

budwhite, US Blues and superstar19 like this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Professional stoners.

Doggiedogma and Guy Smiley like this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Maybe I’m jealous, is all.

lucan_g, US Blues and Doggiedogma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.