Monty Python's 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raf, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Because it sounds like canned laughter, that's why! And it's annoying.

I'll except the bit about the dirty fork; that seemed genuine.

Most sound is done in post-pro, though, even then.

2. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Oh yeah, this totally sounds like canned laughter... :rolleyes:

3. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

No it doesn't ... and no it isn't.

somnar, SRC, goodiesguy and 2 others like this.
  4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Definitely not canned. There are a couple of sketches where you can actually see the guys hesitate to say their next lines because the laughter is still going.

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

There are at least two examples of the studio audience being shown on-screen (the end of the Undertakers Sketch and the beginning of the Take Your Pick sketch).

somnar, SRC and goodiesguy like this.
  6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Looks almost as bad as mine.

Stupid design.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Shawn, longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  7. Raf

Raf Senior Member Thread Starter

Great restoration job. But what is the logic in sometimes inserting original elements into the full episode (the heavy breathing in the "How to Recognize Different Parts of the Body" opening, for example) and other times merely including them as an extra feature (such as the full "Gay Boys in Bondage" animation)? Is it to do with how the episodes originally aired?

8. Raf

And then there's the muted laughter throughout most of the first episode (because the studio audience hadn't yet figured out how to react). If the laughter had been canned they would have laid it on a bit thicker.

Meng and goodiesguy like this.
  9. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I believe that the booklet states that the heavy breathing was in the original, and replaced for the 1971 airing (don't have it near me, but this was one that I looked up after watching).

Raf likes this.
  10. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I think so. Anything redacted after it already aired (such as the "masturbation" line in The All-England Summarize Proust sketch) should be reinserted to present the episode as it was originally, whereas things like "Gay Boys in Bondage" were cut prior to airing, and end up as bonuses.

That seems to make the most sense, but I could be wrong!

11. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The aim of the set was to get the episodes back to their longest original UK broadcast versions, with three exceptions it seems: the "masturbating" line in Summarize Proust was originally muted in the first broadcast, the full "satan animation" was never broadcast in the UK (but is included in the restoration) and the full "trees in space" animation was never shown (this was originally edited down a lot, then the original audio was replaced in repeats because of music rights issues)

The only two bits that were broadcast on US TV and not restored to the episodes for the blu-ray set are the cancer line from Conquistador Coffee (which only exists as an off-air VHS) and Graham's "Tonight Tonight, I'm getting pissed tonight" from the Bus Conductor sketch (which is included from a VHS source, but should have been taken from the US laserdisc for slightly better quality)

The only bit of really sub-par quality video content restored to the episodes proper are the videotape bits from the extended Mr Neutron episode (the extended prime minister scene), which was restored from a U-matic copy of the edited ABC master from the mid 70s.

12. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I'm watching "At Last the 1948 Show" as a warm up for the box set. For the first time in my life. Wow, it's so great!

[​IMG]

There's a lot of ideas that appeared in the Pythons later. For example, the Accountant sketch looks like a basis for the Hungarian Phrase Book. Great stuff.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Not only that, but stuff appeared in the Goodies (the couple on the porch slapping mosquitos was re-used in the Goodies episode "South Africa") and other sketch shows (there are at least 4 versions of the bookshop sketch!)

goodiesguy, realkilroy and MPLRecords like this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

@Laservampire I really appreciate you taking screen captures of the Blu-Rays with the old DVDs. Could you share a couple more, maybe how the Gilliam sequences compare?

Laservampire likes this.
  15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Just got informed that a replacement box is on the way.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Dear Monty Python fan

I’m happy to let you know that your replacement box will be shipped on Monday.

Network Customer service

Whilst tracking details will be available for these, we would ask that you have patience and allow the package to reach you. If you have not received your replacement by 1st December please respond to this email letting us know your original order ID and we will trace this for you.

Many thanks for your support and patience

The Hud likes this.
  17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Mine arrived with the damaged packaging. I just opened the package two days ago. I hope I'm not too late to request a replacement box.

Can anyone tell me how to request the replacement? Email address? info I need to provide?

18. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

e-mail address is on the previous page: [email protected]

Got notice that my replacement shipped yesterday.

longdist01, Plan9 and Veggie Boy like this.
  19. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Any info on a Nordic release?

20. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

And many 1948 SHOW sketches also reappeared on the Marty Feldman BBC series MARTY and his ATV MARTY FELDMAN COMEDY MACHINE, and also on THE GOLDDIGGERS IN LONDON. And on THE TWO RONNIES.

realkilroy and Laservampire like this.
  21. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Møøse trained by YUTTE HERMSGERVØRDENBRØTBØRDA Special Møøse Effects OLAF PROT Møøse Costumes SIGGI CHURCHILLMøøse Choreographed by HORST PROT III Miss Taylor's Møøses by HENGST DOUGLAS-HOME Møøse trained to mix concrete and sign complicated insurance forms by JURGEN WIGG Møøses' noses wiped by BJØRN IRKESTØM-SLATER WALKER Large møøse on the left hand side of the screen in the third scene from the end, given a thorough grounding in Latin, French and "O" Level Geography by BO BENN Suggestive poses for the Møøse suggested by VIC ROTTER Antler-care by LIV THATCHER.

Chip TRG, mne563, Big Pasi and 4 others like this.
  22. Raf

Just watched “Restoring Flying Circus with Terry Gilliam,” an extra on vol. 4. Shown in the documentary are new “blue-screen” transitions to the sketches “Seduced Milkmen” and “Donkey Rides,” both on season 1 episode 3. However, in the actual restored episode on vol. 1, these effects don’t appear. In the documentary Terry Gilliam seems enthusiastic enough about the changes, but I guess they were ultimately not approved.

23. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

The animation mistake in Owl Stretching Time was eradicated, so that's one fix that made it. For those curious, it was a little random piece of white paper on 2 frames of animation during the operation cartoon 18 1/2 minutes in.

Color timing, saturation and other tweaks remain throughout the series. Going back to the A&E discs now is like watching the program through a dirty window.

24. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I am happy to report an undamaged box arriving here today. Now with this and the Total Rubbish CD box I'm feeling quite silly.

25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Just noticed that the IFC channel is having a Monty Python marathon all day today (Wed) until
    11:00 tonight. Watching it now while I'm typing this...……..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.