It’s Official: Steven Spielberg is Remaking ’West Side Story’

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jan 25, 2018.

1. well I saw a version of MacBeth with Sean Bean in London. It took place during WW1 And was fantastic.

you just never know.

wayneklein likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Not by mine. I thought it worked quite well, right from the very beginning with the prologue delivered by newscasters. Yes, it's an extreme version, but a hell of a ride if you're in the mood.

Felix Martinez and Mazzy like this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That's because Sean Bean was in it.:)
    But you're absolutely correct, you never know.

4. This could be good or a Bomb. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to revisit a good musical and film again over a half century later. It’s good music and i know that many young people eventually would seek out the original if it’s something they end up enjoying.

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

:shrug:

He is in his 70s, why would he waste time on a remake?
    It's not my type of film, but Isn't the original seen as a classic?

6. <let's just remove all references to conflict from the plot

7. ralphb

Sondheim is 89, and when the film/Broadway revivals open, when the Broadway revival of "Company" opens, he'll be 90.
    I'm guessing the opportunity to work with Tony Kushner and Spielberg was too good to resist, and he's always been a bit dissatisfied with the lyrics.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  8. ralphb

Then there is no plot.:laugh:

audiomixer and Panama Hotel like this.
  9. So As in no plot like the Shakespeare plot as seen earlier in Romeo and Juliet ?

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A silly observation; I mentioned seeing the movie again a few nights ago. I truthfully have no idea how many times I've seen it. Anyways, for the 1st time EVER, I noticed a few black faces at the dance! They were WAY in the background but during the 'confrontations' at the dance I saw a few of them lining up with the Sharks! Guess they were some of my darker-skinned brothers!;)

It's wierd, but I think any inclusions of Blacks, Gays, or illegal aliens (middle eastern or mexican) will hurt Spielbergs project. That said, wouldn't surprise me at all if he used these stereotypes! This is definitely NOT a movie I'll be going to see opening night. I'll be waiting to read about it in reviews and right here!

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm waiting for the edits of certain words in the lyrics:sigh:

12. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

You don’t have any choice in plays but to do a revival. It’s a “live” show. Original performers tend to age and die. So until they invent a time machine... :shh:

Steve Litos and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Musicals , eh no , thank you.

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The only other choice is digging them up and making them zombies. (See Frank Zappa's Thingfish for instructions.)

alexpop likes this.
  16. ralphb

17. Kind of my point. The rules for film because it is a “fixed” medium don’t get the same leeway as a stage show. As I stated when you do do a revival though there are no rules that insist that it be radically interpreted differently whereas in film, the expectation is that it will be updated and be different no matter what.

and by casting, I’m referring to recasting as in different races with more diversity, etc. not the other process which is kind of common sense.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  18. Indeed, I’ve seen various versions of updated plays where the setting has been changed and it has given to relevance.

19. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

20. NickCarraway

Indeed, he turns 90 on opening night. I'm assuming it's at night... although a brunch performance with a "kaftans-and-hats" dress code would be apropos. Everybody RISE!

MikaelaArsenault and ralphb like this.
  21. NickCarraway

[​IMG]
    "What bloody man is that?"

Oh... what's that? Oh, never mind......

22. ralphb

[​IMG]

NickCarraway likes this.
  23. NickCarraway

You got tix for Patti in the revival?

24. ralphb

We're waiting for tix to show up on TDF, which they usually do for anything Sondheim.
    By the way, long article in the NY Times about the Broadway revival for West Side Story. I am officially wary of the show now.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. NickCarraway

Looooong NY Times Magazine article about the new stage production. Enough spoilers about revisions and tweaks that I'd bookmark it and read after seeing it if you're planning on going.

How ‘West Side Story’ Was Reborn

Edit - Ha! We posted about the NYT article at exactly the same time :p

Hmmm... I don't qualify for TDF for another 5 1/2 years.

ralphb likes this.