Received a CDR from Amazon.com second time this year for an album recently released.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TaumpyTears, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello All,

earlier this year I bought a copy of Liam Gallagher’s WHY ME WHY NOT via amazon and I received a CDR with the words “manufactured by amazon.com” on the back cover. Nowhere on the listing is it specified that these are MOD discs. I returned it after I confirmed that other fans had received these as well and bought a factory pressed copy from an independent store. I didn’t take any pics since it was before I joined this forum and it didn’t seem like a big deal, I got a full refund since it was a purchase made direct from amazon.

Fast forward to two weeks ago I had a credit placed on my account and I decided to use it on a cd copy of the ECHO IN THE CANYON soundtrack. I’d bought the iTunes download months ago but had held off on buying the soundtrack on cd hoping a deluxe version would come out sooner or later.

well I got my copy in the mail over the weekend and it’s another CDR with the same “manufactured by amazon.com” blurb on the back. Again it’s not mentioned in the listing which kinda ticks me off, this album is a recent release and factory pressed discs are available. Why is amazon going this route ? I tried to contact them but the rep wasn’t much help and they do not hesitate to refund when a customer complains so I didn’t push the issue further.

I’m linking some pics of the disc, let me know what you think
    DSC02390
    DSC02392
    DSC02391

905, Mbe, slipkid and 5 others like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What crap. It's bad enough they sell cdrs at full price. But selling them without noting it?

melstapler, ispace, Mbe and 8 others like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

Man that sucks! Sorry to hear that, man.

melstapler and Mbe like this.
  4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I've seen mention of this before, although I've never gotten one. I'd send it back too, for the simple reason that if you don't use the right CD-R material, and if you don't burn it correctly, bam, at some indeterminate point in the future, it will no longer be readable.

I guess I'm also kind of surprised that the record company themselves would allow Amazon to do this. Unless they've got some kind of deal.

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

According to your profile, you've been here a whole 9 days. You open up a new thread just to complain. Wouldn't it have just been easier to direct it back to Amazon and arrange to return the item?

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

return them whom ever gets an unannounced MOD...

melstapler and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Remember that bit where they can't be a monopoly if they aren't taking advantage of their customers?

showtaper and GullGutt like this.
  8. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m guessing Amazon does this to keep production in house and save some money, because Jeff Bezos clearly doesn’t have enough. They probably have a deal worked out with labels to do it. What a garbage company.

E.Baba, melstapler, ispace and 6 others like this.
  9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Would it have been better if he was complaining for 5+ years like the rest of us?

He provided some useful info.

10. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Huh?

The dude has been here 5 weeks and is seeking info about CDRs from Amazon, an unacceptable practice to many.

Get a grip.

PBo, Hammerhead, nlgbbbblth and 37 others like this.
  11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I have noticed more MOD (catalogue) titles on the UK Amazon lately, but (thankfully?) they are listed as such, so I stay well clear. I wonder how many unannounced ones are on there, though.

EG.

12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

CD-R's are a lot cheaper to produce than actually pressing discs.
    They are bad news as some of us have experienced, and over time they deteriorate with little or no warning.
    I'm surprised if indeed, the page you bought the disc from, didn't indicate the fact it was an Amazon CD-R.
    When I've checked in the past, it normally says something 'manufactured on demand'.
    It's actually here in this listing:
    https://www.amazon.com/Why-Me-Not-L...words=why+me+why+not+cd&qid=1574213316&sr=8-2

13. Rick Bartlett

This is Amazon's comment about these products when you click on 'learn more'.

About CD-R and DVD-R Media
    CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

CD-Rs and DVD-Rs (the "R" stands for "recordable") look like the discs you're used to and offer the same audio and image quality. This recordable media is used to manufacture titles on demand, as fully authorized by the content provider.

Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available. Each disc comes fully packaged, with artwork, in a standard jewel case for audio and an Amaray case for video, although for reissued products the artwork may differ from the original.

CreateSpace works with many of the leading music labels, television networks, film studios, and other distributors to make these titles available to Amazon.com customers. All products are manufactured from original source materials (e.g., for audio products, uncompressed CD-quality audio).

By eliminating inventory, waste, and inefficiencies in the distribution system, on-demand manufacturing provides the added benefit of helping preserve the environment.

When shopping, you'll see CD-R or DVD-R on the product detail page for such products. Amazon.com's standard return policy applies to these purchases.

905, spindly and Big Swifty like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well, Amazon are talking BS as usual because the MOD titles I've received in the past were nasty affairs, using poor materials and the sound wasn't true CD quality either. They were returned for a refund.

EG.

melstapler, slipkid, Taxman and 2 others like this.
  15. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I just got the Why Me Why Not Deluxe edition and it's also MOD. But says that on the Amazon CD listing

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

If you dont like it, I guess you can pay a few bucks more and just get the mp3s.

18. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Are you guys referring to Amazon US or U.K.? I don’t know if I am just blind but I don’t see where it’s mentioned?

19. TaumpyTears

20. TaumpyTears

Really? That’s not showing up for me

21. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Good it’s not just me

John Buchanan and TaumpyTears like this.
  22. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Yeah I’m not seeing where it’s stated on those listings. What am I missing?

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes, viewed on a laptop with chrome browser, it's very clearly there. I seem to recall something like this before, when key information wasn't viewable on certain platforms/devices. Amazon need to look into that. Or maybe they don't care and hope people just keep the CDRs.

EG.

Mroop, lightbulb, ARK and 4 others like this.
  24. Rick Bartlett

I'm looking at it on a desktop computer, it's there, and quite clear.

ARK likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.