Amazon UK no longer ships to New Zealand - as of today

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by appleboy, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Gee, it must be great to live in a country where no one is ever raped, robbed, or beaten to death by someone bigger and stronger than they are ..

apologies for the off-topic comment

Gumboo and Christian Hill like this.
  2. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

One giant FU to Amazon. There's so many other great companies that will gladly take my money and they are getting it regularly!

3. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Hear! HEAR!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  4. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

WowHD will be seeing a lot more vinyl purchases from me if Amazon US closes up trade to NZ. I try to support local stores when I can but most vinyl here is EU release and often the better cuts and pressings are the US one’s, hence the need to purchase from Amazon US (and their replacement policy for faulty product is excellent too).

Kingsley Fats and p s gb like this.
  5. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

That's a shame. I'm glad to hear the Amazon US site is still shipping there. You can find a lot of items there that you would also find on Amazon UK.

On the positive side - at least you're in New Zealand, which is a pretty fantastic place to be.

mikeburns and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  6. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I've lived in New Zealand for 10+ years and have been very happily ordering from both Amazon US and Amazon UK. The shipping rates from the UK were often much better than those from the US, so it's a shame that the UK branch is no longer directly accessible.

One option, of course, is to use a proxy like YouShop. I tried that a few times in the US, but the delays were long, the shipping was higher, custom fees were larger and more frequently imposed, and the overall amount of work I had to do to get packages to me was far greater. I'd hate to have to go back to using YouShop or anything like it, so I'll just cross my fingers that Amazon UK changes their mind and allows shipping to NZ again.

7. sddoug

sddoug Music Aficionado

Hey now, there's some good coffee here if you know where to look. I can't argue with the rest of your characterization.

8. I knew this was coming but I'm still majorly disappointed as the majority of my CD purchases in the past ten years came from Amazon UK. I have decided to play the waiting game and not buy any more music until after the new year. We will see what transpires in 2020.

9. ispace

ispace Senior Member

If it’s anything like the Australian experience, you’ll be waiting a long time for them to change their mind.

Theres’s zero technical reason why they can’t collect GST.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  10. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

The solution to these corporations trying to impose their rules is to be part of a big market they can't ignore or disregard. That's the idea of the EU single market. That's also why the UK will soon be screwed once it's a small market with its own rules.

Pastafarian and dlemaudit like this.
  11. I don't really expect Amazon UK to change their mind anytime soon. Where have you Aussie's been buying your music? We have a local JB HiFi and I do buy a few things there but their range of CD's is poor these days compared to what it was when they first opened.

12. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

I think you could use JB Australia - I've used them to send cds to NZ now and again - and there's Real Groovy and Flying Out Records in Auckland. JPC.DE are excellent, remove German VAT and do not charge gst. This can compensate a little for their postage costs. Can be slow to arrive though which is so un-German! Importcds, Deep Discount, WOWHD are the same company and are ok but their packaging for vinyl is sometimes very flimsy and customer service impossible to deal with. Juno.co.uk are great but don't really have a preorder system in place. Oh and remember to email [email protected] to tell him what you think of his geoblock.

ispace likes this.
  13. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I would encourage you to avoid WOWHD. I had no ends of problems with them shipping a Fela Kuti box set that I paid for months prior. This was a result of them changing owners, yet again. They are kind of notorious for it. Google search and you will find a wealth of people not receiving cds or vinyl whenever this occurs and zero response from them. They were good when they were working but that whole mess has meant I will not use them and give plenty of heads up to those that do.

14. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I’ve ordered dozens of records from WOWHD over the last 7 years or so. Never had any problems at all, even with replacement requests for faulty vinyl. Shipping is a bit slow and packaging somewhat lightweight but I’m now in no great position to avoid them if I want a particular US pressing at a reasonable price delivered to my door... unless you have a better option for me to explore??

15. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Rarewaves.
    There's a number of the bulk sellers and independents on Discogs.

ispace likes this.
  16. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

I'm in Australia and buy cds regularly from Amazon US. GST is added to my cost by them.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
  17. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

WOWHD did have some troubles to say the least a few years back but have been fine for the past couple of years. They are the same mob that Import Cds are and like them they do have an annoying habit of occasionally putting stuff straight onto "backorder" without even notifying you - 9 times out of ten it usually means that the stock is delayed and usually ships a few days later. Overall I wouldn't avoid at all - the free postage makes their prices quite attractive in general too.

Kingsley Fats and ispace like this.
  18. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Things are getting grim. The price of cds on Ebay has been steadily rising since the beginning of the year. Bargains are few and far between. Amazon Australia is way too expensive. Where are you Anzacs buying from these days?

19. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

We are unable to ship non-digital items to New Zealand shipping addresses.

Seems a bit weird to me, wonder what that's all about. I guess I'm not too bothered since I've only ever bought 1 thing from Amazon UK but it's still a bit of a bummer that it's no longer an option.

20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

WowHD is probably my number one point of purchase. I seldom purchased from Amazon as the shipping rates are high. I have had no issues with WowHD in recent years.
    I believe Import CDs operate out of the same warehouse (s) & may even be the same company. Their stock seems to be pretty much the same.

For Amazon's (& Apple, Adobe & a few others) dodgy tax avoidance have a read of this

How to pay $20 million tax on more than $1 billion in revenue — ask Amazon Australia

ispace likes this.
  21. Kingsley Fats

Aussie CD prices have always been far too high & remain that way even though the sales have fallen through the floor. The Economic theory of Supply & Demand doesn't seem too apply.

goodiesguy, ispace, E.Baba and 2 others like this.
  22. Kingsley Fats

I wonder if the gst collected is paid (in full) back to the Australian Government.
    The imposition of gst on imported goods was a silly knee jerk reaction by the government to appease the Australian retail industry who were seeing their stranglehold on the Australian consumer disappearing.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The company running WOWHD, importcds, deepdiscount.com, etc. is Alliance Entertainment Corporation, which is the company most independent record stores order their CDs and LPs through here in the US.

24. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

If you buy mostly CDs/Vinyl you can try juno.co.uk.

ispace and Weirwolfe like this.
  25. Kingsley Fats

Yes it is.

Also no smog, no guns, not many people, white beaches for mile after mile & blue skies for weeks on end.

[​IMG]

E.Baba and Crimson Witch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.