Received a CDR from Amazon.com second time this year for an album recently released.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TaumpyTears, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Same thing for me when I got a CD-R from Amazon when I ordered the Midsommar OST by Bobby Krlic (Hasan Cloak), now I’m ordering it again through Bull Moose. Stories like these should give folks even more of an incentive to support your local independent music stores, at least they’re not pulling crap like this.

TaumpyTears, Eric_Generic and Taxman like this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

So complain to Amazon about the app. The CD-R statement is on the standard browser page. Nothing we can do about this issue. Best to tell the people who can improve that app.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Had anyone tried buying it new from an alternate source listed? That might be a manufactured copy.

4. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

The disclaimer should be a bit larger. I bought some knowing that that they were CDrs. The disclaimer used to be in bold type lower on the page making it pretty obvious. Not anymore...

Lost In The Flood and lightbulb like this.
  5. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I'd rip it then return it!

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Buy it from:
    Deep Discount
    Amoeba
    Target
    Barnes & Noble
    Walmart

Some of those sites offer free shipping, if the total purchase exceeds a certain amount.

Now that it’s been years since Amazon was selling items tax-free, they no longer have that enticing finacial hook and bait to dangle around.

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I don’t agree with this. First, new joiners are often greeted warmly and not with such an icy reply. Beyond that, I, for one, am interested that Amazon is doing this. Its worth considering before one buys from “them”. My ten cents.

TaumpyTears, kiefer2, Chuckee and 8 others like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

We are also encouraged to use our own Amazon store here, but it becomes clear pretty quickly,
    it's pretty pathetic in terms of choice too.
    I think, they think 'we just fell off of the turnip truck'.
    The range is 'nasty', and we don't have access to the US and UK stores that offered everything!
    Pretty silly in many ways, considering we still have access to the big auction site, that is worldwide and a lot cheaper.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is a public service announcement, I am happy he warned us.

The Gallagher CD I received was the real deal, from Amazon.ca.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

1. Look a calendar...
    2. He’s got a valid complaint - he purchased product that was not truthfully advertised.
    3. He did return the item back to Amazon.
    Any other questions?

11. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Yes - it's a very valid complaint. I've read about this before on this forum and other platforms.

It used to be happening to older and rather obscure releases that wouldn't sell in huge quantities. Not that I would bite, but I can see some reasoning into that - making obscure recordings available again. But brand new releases from well-known artists like Liam Gallagher?

Let me get this straight - those new releases that Amazon sells as a CD-R are available elsewhere as pressed discs? Then the answer should be obvious - I will avoid buying from Amazon in the future. Several other options, sometimes cheaper as well.

The point is - I just can't see why Amazon is doing this. Yes, obviously to avoid overstock and possibly it's a means to chase the last few hardcore CD buyers away. But how in the world can this be legal? I mean, for years the record companies harassed us by stating that copying CDs is killing music. And now Amazon simply takes on the same practice? I'm sure they'll have some legal workaround here, but frankly, it baffles me.

Echo, ispace, TaumpyTears and 4 others like this.
  12. LSMark

LSMark Forum Resident

Yeh, this is the most useful thread on here I've read in ages. I didn't realise they do this and will be on the look out for it in future, thank you for alerting.

TaumpyTears, Mbe, Taxman and 5 others like this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't see why you are attacking a new member over this? Think of it as alerting fellow music collecrors over an important issue.

Echo, slipkid, TaumpyTears and 6 others like this.
  14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Amazon are paying royalties on the CD-Rs.

15. whatprogress

whatprogress Cowbell Enthusiast

Many thanks to the OP, this thread is a revelation. I was unaware of just how commonplace these manufactured on demand discs have become, and figured that any new release CD sold and shipped by Amazon would be pressed and factory sealed. I’m surprised I’ve not received any of these, however I have been purchasing more records than CDs this past year.

Anyways, I had a look at the best sellers and found (at least for following two examples) that when both pressed and burned (MOD) CD options are available, the MOD discs are more expensive and require a 1-2 day lead time.

For example, notice how the pressed CD version is the least expensive of the two, and is in stock/ready to ship...
    [​IMG]

... while the MOD CD version is more expensive and requires a 1-2 day lead time.
    [​IMG]

Here’s another example, and this time both pressed and MOD CD options are shown within the same listing. Again, the pressed CD is the lesser expensive of the two and is in stock and ready to ship...

[​IMG]

... while the MOD CD is more expensive and requires a 1-2 day lead time (not to mention the rather dubious-looking artwork).
    [​IMG]

In short, if it’s listed as “available to ship in 1-2 days” I would read the fine print (or view in desktop mode if using the mobile app) before placing that order.

ispace, TaumpyTears, Mbe and 2 others like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ll echo others who say it’s an odd decision to offer a MOD CD of a brand new album like the Liam Gallagher one. It’s not like there’s a shortage of official copies!

I rarely buy from Amazon.com, but use the U.K. site regularly. Has anyone seen any evidence of this MOD practice on the latter? Aside from old, OOP releases of course. How annoying to have to double check everything you buy now just in case your mistakenly getting a CD-R!

17. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

"Hello, Label X? Hey, Amazon here. We're going to sell CDR's of albums you're releasing, and of course we'll pay you royalties. But as you don't have to bother producing and shipping the discs, 25% of the normal rate will do, right? Oh, and if you don't agree, we'll be cutting all your releases from our platform.
    Yo do? That's great. Nice doing business with you, Label X!"

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've seen it, although they used the old method where the cover art is shown with a blue border around it. If I can remember the title I saw this one I'll post it, right now I'm missing it..... also, I bought another Smithsonian CD from Amazon UK this week, and that is a CDR (although to be fair, I knew that going in).

The things that gets me about the above examples.... the CDR's appear to higher priced. :D

Mroop, Eric_Generic and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

It worries me that going by the Liam Gallagher example, will it come to even pre-orders being pressed by Amazon?

The CD format gets precious little respect these days. This should just about finish it off!

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Honestly, it's laughable that they think this a worthy product. I can see how someone thought it was the solution to the CD problem, but that doesn't make it a good one.

Eric_Generic and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You must have an extremely low threshold of what constitutes an attack. Amazon makes it easy to arrange returns and credits. It's also easy to place a review. That's it.

This CD-R business has been going on for quite a while (whether that always appears in the descriptions is another matter!) If you're the collector that you claim to be, you'd already know it.

Yeah, every little inconvenience has to involve the outside world through Twitter, FB...and SHF.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Harsh, but true. Although, to be fair to the OP, it was only this year I started to hear about it for new releases. Before, it was mostly a back catalog issue.

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Thank goodness I buy mostly used. And often when I can see the disc and every little detail.

Anonamemouse and Eric_Generic like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

It’s something I’m going to have to check from now on. You can’t trust anything anymore!

I don’t mind if they label MOD as such. I can avoid them... It’s when they don’t I have a problem with it

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The problem is that it doesn't show up on the mobile site.

mr.datsun, sharedon and Eric_Generic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.