Received a CDR from Amazon.com second time this year for an album recently released.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TaumpyTears, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It might be a wider issue. After the remaining retailers cash out of CD's, and the indie shops pull out or close, Amazon will hold the monopoly. Then when the record industry closes down CD's for good, Amazon will still put out these CD-R's for new releases.

Lemon Curry and Dave S like this.
  2. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I can see it as a useful alternative for folks who want cd's when the labels are getting to the point that they will no longer make them, but it's really frustrating. They should plaster a big blue CDR over the image on their site. Just a few years ago I ordered Iggy Pop's Skull Ring, it arrived on CDR, and at this point it was right about 10 years old. I decided to give it a chance, but there was a skip in the last song. Returned it,got another and the same glitch was present, so it went back again and I ordered a used one from a third party vendor. I can see this as a way to keep titles in print, but new releases?

Keep an eye out for those vinyl presses that Rainbo owned, now that they are closing their doors, wouldn't surprise me for Amazon to get into pressing their own Vinyl-On-Demand...

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I've burned by this several times (not just on Amazon). You have to look VERY CAREFULLY on the Amazon listing page for clues as to what it really is. They do a really good job of sometimes hiding the "manufactured on demand" blurb usually somewhat lower on the page than what you're actually looking at when you decide to by something. There is a separate thread about this somewhere up here of us discussing/complaining about it (can't remember if it is in this "music" forum or in one for Marketplace or Coupons or something similar).

mr.datsun, TaumpyTears and Spencer R like this.
  4. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Modern Dad doesn't understand the problem. He wanted a CD. He ordered a CD. He got a CD.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no, he got a MOD CD... a piece of junk...; )

6. schnitzerphilip

It's a CD that plays the album, right? Not compressed MP3's played back by an MP3 CD player, correct? So it's the same lossless binary code, 1's and 0's, right?

Michael likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Perhaps Say It Right shouldn’t have said it at all.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  8. Amazon really doesn't want to be in the CD business anymore and the major labels are perfectly willing to go along for the CD-R ride. It's a low-margin business Bezos and crew are stuck with since they killed off most every other CD retailer left on the net.

I assume this was some sort of concession made by the major labels when Amazon was negotiating streaming fees. It feels very much like a decision made for other purposes than serving the remaining CD space.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

But also unlikely to last as long as a 'real' cd.

McLover, ispace, TaumpyTears and 4 others like this.
  10. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I disagree. Amazon don't care what they sell. They're a shop window on to the net. You can sell most everything on there. They're not monitoring it at this level. They may have decided they didn't want to stock certain items, but that's true of many things these days, from computer monitors to food. The delivery chain isn't what it once was.

It's the labels that have decided they don't want to do CD any longer.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The main issue with CDR's, for me, is that I could make one of those myself. As such, the value of a CDR is negligible.

slipkid, ispace and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

when you digitally distribute to spotify etc. Amazon print on demand is an option. they make a cdr of your album.
    so if you see on amazon an MP3 album with buy cd next to it. its probably a print on demand cdr

13. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I used to look at Amazon as my safety net for all things CD/DVD etc. I figured they would always be happy to push the stuff long after B&M stores stopped. The last few years have changed that belief. :(

14. schnitzerphilip

Thing is, there is a misunderstanding of what the "CD business" is. As we are audiophiles, we look at it from the perspective of sound quality, many of us believe that CD's are still being manufactured for people like us who want the best fidelity.

That would be wrong.

The reason CD's are still being made are for my 80 year old mother and my wife's 20 year old cousin in Florida. My mom has a Bose CD player that I bought for her in 1998 and it works just fine and she doesn't understand smartphones. My wife's cousin is unemployed and on assistance and can't afford a dataplan. They have an Aiwa mini system from 1995 in their living room. So when the new Adele album is released, they need it on CD. And they find it at the local drugstore or Walmart.

So Amazon ships burned CDR's because of these customers either on a tight budget or resistant to change. Best Buy, Target, and Barnes & Noble have exited the category completely. It's a matter of time before all labels and all retailers do.

TaumpyTears likes this.
  15. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

You're clueless as usual. A burned on demand CDR doesn't have the same protective layer on the underside of the disc that silver manufactured CDs have, and therefore they usually develop glitches and can't be used anymore.

slipkid, ispace, TaumpyTears and 2 others like this.
  16. Rocky's Owner

You've stated this same nonsensical propaganda in multiple threads. You have serious issues.

17. Rocky's Owner

Exactly. Real silver manufactured CDs have a protective layer on the bottom side of the disc. CDRs do not. That's why they end up with severe glitching problems.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    slipkid, ispace, TaumpyTears and 2 others like this.
  18. Rocky's Owner

I've noticed that Amazon has stopped putting the "Manufactured on demand CDR" note on some accounts, for some reason. When I'm logged into my Amazon account, and I look at a release that I know is a CDR, it doesn't have that message. But when I log out of my Amazon account and go back to the page and look at the description, the "Manufactured on demand CDR" or whatever it is message is there. Amazon must be doing some testing to see what they can get away with as far as sending crummy CDRs instead of CDs.

19. Rocky's Owner

I started another thread about this but I'll repeat it here. There IS a way to tell if you're getting a crummy CDR from Amazon. After you add the items to your cart and you proceed to the "shipping and payment page" or the "place order" page, you will see a list of all items you are ordering. For the CDs, underneath the title and quantity, it will state either "Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc." or "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services". If it states "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services" it means you'll be getting a crummy CDR burned by Amazon. When I put that Liam Gallagher CD in my cart and proceed to the steps I indicated, it states "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services", so I know it will be a CDR.

However, this is only for CDRs that are burned on demand by Amazon. If the actual record label itself is known for selling its own CDRs, then you'd have to check Discogs or the label website to know. For example, the Smithsonian Folkways label that Vaughan mentioned earlier is known for selling its own CDRs, and therefore it won't state "Sold by: Amazon Digital Services" if you buy one on Amazon. You'd have to check Discogs to know that it's a CDR. Like this release: Albro T. Gaul - Sounds Of Insects

If you put that "Sound of the Insects" release in your Amazon cart it states "Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc" but you'll be getting a CDR because that's how the label sells it.

By the way I like the brass of Smithsonian Folkways trying to sell some of their crummy CDRs for $20 on Amazon.

20. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Read post #44

22. Rocky's Owner

Sometimes Amazon removes the message regardless of how you're viewing the page. I only use my desktop, and I used to see the "Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com" message on CDRs, then it was removed from any pages I viewed which were CDRs. If I logged out of Amazon and viewed the page again, however, I could see the note. Now, for some reason, Amazon has decided to add the note back to the pages with CDRs, even if I'm signed into my account. I think they are doing testing on this and screw around with various people's accounts to see if they'll squawk if they get a crummy CDR if they aren't notified they are being sent a CDR.

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Man that could be. I've never had an issue 'not' seeing it.
    Pretty crappy if that were the case.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m glad most folks on here share my feelings on this matter. I usually order my cds on amazon because of pricing and to use my Prime acct as much as possible

as I’ve stated repeatedly I like amazon’s customer service, I one time got a slightly creased boxset and they offered me an exchange or a 25 percent refund to keep it. I of course took the refund as I can live with a small crease, the rest of the set is immaculate.

So my reason for opening this thread was not to bash amazon but to shine a light on something that I find odd and sad in a weird way.

thank you to the people that chimed in with the different browser advice. But I’ll be buying most all my future cd releases from indie stores moving forward.

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

How do you know its not compressed mp3 files burnt to an Audio format CD-R? That is my suspicion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.