"Ford v. Ferrari" Film staring Matt Damon and Christian Bale - due out Nov 15 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Formulaic for sure, but at an extremely high quality level.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I did enjoy it - just thought it'd have more substance than it did! :shrug:

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

How far ahead was Miles before he began to slow?

4. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Not knowing much of the back story at all, I went in with zero expectations and left highly entertained, enjoying the film quite a lot. Great job !

5. I don't remember exactly, but it really does not matter because that story was written into history 53 years ago.

6. All Down The Line

It would if the 2nd and 3rd running GT40's were far enough in front of 4th place to be able to slow until Miles caught & almost lapped them for a loss-proof formation finish!

7. This is a theory strategy. A thing to be talked about as a possibility of what might have been...but it did not happen.
    Because it did not happen, trying to belabour the facts, options, and potential outcome based on those potentials is little more than campfire conversation.

It is a sound idea to have Ken keep pace, while the others slowed a bit to allow him to come around a lap ahead.

8. All Down The Line

I was merely curious & did not expect your poor response.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  9. Sorry if this seems "poor" I did not mean it that way.
    It is just a straight forward approach.
    Talking about such alternative possibilities has been the staple of conversation forever, and there is nothing wrong with the conversation.

But, none of that conversation will alter the history.

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Thrills, chills, spills! An old-fashioned feel good, good time flick! I find myself dwelling on the fact that it's an ancient movie genre and yet feels SO much fresher than most of what's currently 'in vogue'!

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks, folks!! We bought our tix for Saturday.

If anybody reading this hasn't read the book (Go Like Hell), get it. You will go through it very quickly.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

While I have no way of knowing, it feels to me that the driving/stuntwork In a movie like Grand Prix wad actually very dangerous, a lot more dangerous than in FvF! Kinda feels the same, to me, as when watching the horseback riding/stuntwork in older western movies vs. newer.

13. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

The cars in Grand Prix were Formula 3 cars of the era mocked up to look like F1 cars. Nothing more than petrol tanks on wheels, all racing cars at the time were extremely dangerous as 5 of the actual F1 drivers in the film died within 2 years. And remember lots of the driving was actually the actors in the cars.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The book tells that in detail, very sobering

15. Reality will always be more dangerous because the risks are real in reality.
    Yes, the racing footage from Grand Prix is footage of actual cars driving on actual race circuits, driven by actual race car drivers of the time, as well as a few actors...While this may not literally be F1 racing footage it is far and away more realistic looking than anything generated by Hollywood, because it was literally real.
    The same things occurs in older Hollywood epic films where a crew of hundreds was filmed to make the scene, or they filmed in a location that was vast and open to create the feeling of vast open space.

Now, with that said, the CGI stuff has great advantages in many areas. Such as safety. Pretty hard to crash a computer and kill someone, burn someone, or ruin the one and only prop car ready for filming. The computer can imagine itself anywhere, in any space, at any time, based on the program parameters.
    To film live footage of LeMans you have to go to LeMans and set up to film, and then drive around LeMans...Dangerous in comparison.

The real live stuntwork is awesome when done well, and it is glorious.
    The fake effects stuff, while not real, is also pretty grand and without it we would not have many of the great films we love today.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

Not trying to alter history whatsoever and don't see an inkling of that!
    This may have been the "staple of conversation forever", however unlike yourself who is clearly highly steeped in knowledge and the background to this story, i and many others are new to it thanks to this film so please grant us our fresh questions that you and others have also made from 1966 onwards.

17. Okay, I did not intend, nor did I say, to stop talking about anything...Sorry if that was the impression.
    My term, "Campfire conversation" is based on good things, even if the conversation is not really important. I have enjoyed many such conversations while relaxing around the campfire. Another term I use when asked, "what are you doing?" while sitting around the fire is, "saving the world". Again, nothing major being discussed but we are into the conversation.
    Go happily down that discussion road of what if, how come, and why not. Just understand this subject has been discussed in great depth since the event happend in 1966.

Oh, and welcome to the greatest era of racing history in my opinion, Basically 1955-1973. Dangerous, deadly, innovative, ever faster, beautiful designs, and something a regular guy could do without a million dollar investment just to walk through the door.

showtaper likes this.
  18. All Down The Line

There may be nothing new under the sun but as I said everyone should be fine to speak on it regardless of their point of interest entry or birthdate.
    You do not need to again say it's been discussed to death.
    As for being welcomed to the greatest era you are half right where Iam concerned as Iam and have been fully immersed in the era from an F1 perspective.
    Carry on I have loved all your posts up to today.

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

While I would agree that there are a couple of stock characters (e.g., Leo Beebe) I found it very substantial--still thinking about it 24 hours later. I think each key actor (except maybe HFII), really inhabited their role.

JohnK

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

What a great night's entertainment. Both leads were excellent. Theater was sold out. No one under 40 there I think
    2 theaters with Frozen had all the kids
    Loved the book, I can deal with the twists of facts, for the sake of giving Miles an overdue valentine.

21. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I saw this in a nearly empty theater at 5pm last Wednesday and I loved it to death. I will be buying it on disc when it is released. Such a good film!

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw it. More like “bored versus Ferrari”. It was OK I guess. A little sappy and sugary. I could’ve done without the whole family bit. Still taking the cake: “Grand Prix.” Cinematography counts in racing movies.

23. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I'll give you that Grand Prix wins in terms of racing footage, but with regard to plot--it's the melodramatic equivalent of sappy and sugary (as well as groan-worthy).

JohnK

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

All I remember of Grand Prix is French people sitting around drinking and having affairs.

For me, Ford v Ferrari was the terrestrial-bound version of "The Martian" -- good ole Hollywood hokem.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Over-simplified, under-revved. “The perfect lap.” Bleech.i also need to mention, I think Matt Damon should have watched a few more Tommy Lee Jones movies. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.