"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Spent countless hours with the original mix on vinyl. And remember excitedly stumbling across the original CD at Al Franklin’s during a long wait for a bus transfer in Hartford en route back to college after a holiday break which I played to death (my roommate probably wished death on me considering he was more of a Corey Hart kinda guy). Bought the Japanese import CD as soon it was available, and have gotten sucked into several reissues on CD/vinyl since. So yes...file under “to each his own”: I think the SW vinyl included in the 6LP box is the best this album has ever sounded. Same with Relayer. Haven’t given enough listening time to TYA, Fragile & CTTE to render a verdict, though I do think they all sound pretty great. I’ve got a 5.1 setup for the Blu Rays which all make for interesting novelty listens, but I’ve got way too much history with these records in stereo to compare to 5.1 in a meaningful way. Fun, sure and exciting at times but an additive listening experience, not a replacement for stereo. And the high res on the Blu Ray in stereo is amazing. I’d say for Relayer, TFTO and TYA (in that order) much preferred to what I had before (multiple pressings/CD versions) with all due respect to Eddy Offord and a long history with all of these records sounding a certain way. I like the Wilson remixes a lot. My only quibble on any of his Yes work is on the track “Close to the Edge” which doesn’t quite capture the grandeur of Offord’s original work. It’s certainly a good mix with plenty of balls but the original bests it, and the Bellman cut on LP from a couple of years back is a beaut.
    But to the matter at hand, the Wilson LP remix of Tales is top of the Topographic food chain as far as I’m concerned. YMMV.

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

My promo copy of Tales just has this gigantic 3D soundstage, and certain parts of the songs explode into the room. The SW remix sounds very clean and crisp, and I do like it better than the HD Tracks 24/192 file which sounds kind of murky and flat, but it doesn't have this ethereal quality that I love about my promo copy.

Edit: early standard @GP cuts are really good too...

3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I bought my TFTO LP when it was first released, and I still have it.

I find the LP to be murky and off-putting. The Wilson remix is more open and inviting, yet still in the spirit of the original.

vegafleet, FVDnz, Vinny123 and 2 others like this.
  4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's me. But that's also comparing apples appropriately with apples. Surround is a different beast.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

But as I understand it, the 5.1 is the point of the whole project (it's been discussed). Steven Wilson makes a new stereo mix in preparation for the 5.1 but only included it in the package because the label insisted. And some of us buy music merely to enjoy it, not to make comparisons.

6. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

All i have is the '88 Atlantic 7567-81325-2 CD. Is there a better sounding digital version of the original mix nowadays? Cheers.

7. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

I'd say that the latest version of the original mix is definitely better, as was the 2003 remaster. The one to avoid was the Joe Gastwirt 90's version which was awful.

8. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

From which year is that? And is the HDtracks mastering an exclusive one? Cheers.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's the best afaic.

Blue Note likes this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Does it even approach an early gp cut? I've got the hdtracks 24/192 and SW remix, and neither comes amywhere close to my WLP copy. I'd love a nice digital file for when I'm feeling lazy

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That's the fat-case original CD. Some like it, some consider it a bit dark/muddy.

As far as versions go:

Original CD - mixed views
    Gastwirt CD - also mixed, some prefer in comparison to above
    Rhino CD - also mixed, some like the added intro and clarity, others hate the added intro and compression
    High Vibration SACD - generally highly disliked, but possibly considered the best of the discs in that box-set
    HD Tracks - generally liked, especially by those who like the original CD (transfer is unique)
    Steve Wilson Blu-Ray - highly regarded as you can take your pick: remix, flat-transfer, needledrop, 5.1. Well-mastered and dynamics not crushed.

At this stage it is hard to recommend anything other than the Wilson Blu-Rays since they provide so much bang for your buck.

M2225, Larry L, Bill Mac and 10 others like this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

My problem with the blu-ray is once I put it in the player and navigate though the menu's, I may as well have just spun the WLP pressing lol

sound chaser and yesstiles like this.
  13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It sounds the closest to my @t/Gp LP.

SirMarc likes this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Thanks man, I'll have to track down a copy. I have to say, except for Relayer, I don't love the SW Yes remixes in stereo. Eddy had it right the first time. The Tull remixes on the other hand, except for TAAB, are all stellar...

Blue Note likes this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

each to their own, but it takes maybe 1 minute?

Vinny123 likes this.
  16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

My point was, on my rig my promo pressing of Tales sounds better than any digital copy I've heard, including the remix. I want a file that comes close-ish on digital for when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to get up, because if I'm getting up anyway, I may as well just play the LP lol

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That's fair.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Maybe Wilson should go back and remix CttE again for a 50th Anniversary Edition... :D

boggs and adriatikfan like this.
  19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip my good man! Found a copy for relatively cheap today and I'm listening to it now.

It is a bit more dark and muddy(ish?) sounding than my WLP pressing, but it's the closest in tonality of all my digital files, and very crankable. I'll take it!

yesstiles and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  20. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I actually wish he would. I bit the bullet and got the 50th ITCOTCK even though I already had the 40th. I like the 50th better primarily because Wilson just uses the center channel for vocals. It seems to me that on passages where the the band are jamming in unison in the stereo version get trashed in the 5.1 mix of CTTE by putting Wakeman in the center channel.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  21. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

That part in bold doesn't make any sense.

22. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

In the stereo version, the band plays many intertwined parts in unison. In the 5.1 mix, Wakeman often gets put in the center channel so it sounds like he's playing front of the rest of the band by himself. Just doesn't sound right or as good to me - especially on the title track when they break loose in the 18th minute.

23. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I have a original US vinyl & the Rhino remaster CD. so I'm good to go as for original vinyl mix + extended digital remaster. I'm not into Blu-Ray audio but I assume the options offered on that one is the holy grail for those set up for that format.

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Still very happy with my Wilson vinyl box. Love TFTO...

FVDnz and boggs like this.
  25. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Listening to this in 5.1 right now. Still completely blows me away. This is the rare occasion where the 5.1 is a must !

tedhead, JulesRules, PJayBe and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.