The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Vickie and I enjoyed it, and I am not a chick (you can DM her for verification if needed.)

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

no award winner but it makes a nice evening out with your significant other. love Emilia Clarke and Michelle Yeoh was quite funny. ignore the cynical critics and check it out.

3. Chris DeVoe

Just saw Motherless Brooklyn, starring, written and directed by Edward Norton. He plays a man with Tourette's who was working for a private detective friend of his, and he tries to complete the investigation his friend was on when he was killed. Set in post World War II New York City, it's a bit like Chinatown, with a fictionalized version of Robert Moses and the push for "urban renewal."

And enjoyable enough way to spend an evening at the movies, although nothing really incredibly special. But it is a good counter-example to all those people keep claiming that they don't make anything but remakes, sequels and superhero movies.

epp56, budwhite and brownie61 like this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Just saw Dr. Sleep in a theatre at the Ayala Mall, which is located on the former Subic
    Bay Naval Base in Olongapo City, Philippines. It must have been 10 years since my last cinema movie or maybe more. It was 220 Philippine Pesos or about $6 USD.
    It was a matinee 1220 pm showing. I was the only one in the theatre so it wasn’t that much different from my living room as far as the crowd factor lol. I am on vacation with my wife who is from Gapo.

5. cherryducks58

cherryducks58 New Member

A showing of the original Nightmare on Elm Street before Halloween.

6. Chris DeVoe

We just saw The Right Stuff at the Pickwick Theater in the Chicago suburb of Park Ridge. I had never been to this theater before. It's absolutely huge! 899 seats, a top-quality screen and a Christie laser-illuminated projector.

budwhite likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I don't see it as a chick appeal movie (though it was slanted heavily in that direction), it was more of a touching holiday movie, which is what holiday movies tend to be.

"I thought it was okay, could have been better, until the totally unexpected twist came that made it all make sense and it totally warmed my heart!"

That was exactly my impression.

You're right, no award winner but I like Emilia Clarke too. She even made the previous Terminator movie enjoyable.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  8. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Tbe Godfather part II this past weekend.

My second favourite movie of all time, hadn't seen it on the big screen before.

Lights came on at the intermission, then the movie continued after a few seconds and the lights went down. That was weird.

9. Chris DeVoe

I just came out of The Report. It was a sneak preview for a film that will be on Amazon Prime soon, but opens Friday at the terrible Landmark Century, the most miserable theater in Chicago.

It stars Adam Driver as a guy who created a 7000 page report for the US Senate investigating the Central Intelligence Agency, "black sites" and torture enhanced interrogation techniques.

brownie61 likes this.
  10. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Terminator Dark Fate. It was ok.

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I went last night to see at the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto, the 1939 version of Hound Of The Baskervilles with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. It was an original analog print, and it showed. Although some bit looked scratchy, many parts looked great. It was so nice seeing it on a theater screen for the first time, after watching it for years on a TV screen. Although the DVD and blu-ray have really cleaned up the film, somehow nothing could beat this old print, watching it in a nicely restored classic theater.
    In December, I will go back and see another 1939 film, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We saw Lighthouse a couple of days ago at the indie cinema (which was doing relatively-boffo business for the last matinee on it's last day there, by the way). Not exactly the sort of "lighthouse" movie where Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling fall in love at a lighthouse. No, more like the, "Das Boot" of lighthouse movies! Gritty, unsettling, riveting..and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know - they need their sleep. :D

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, for the third time. First in IMAX, then 35mm, and last night, billed as the Extended Cut. This isn't really an accurate description; it's just bookended with fake commercials before the film starts and some additional Lancer and Bounty Law material after the credits. However, by the time the credits had ended, the majority of the audience had left.

Scope J and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Godfather II and The Matrix. Old school moviegoing.

15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Parasite. Hope there's a BD release. Song Kang-ho is great in everything of his I've seen.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

[​IMG]

Was able to see it last evening. What sticks with me most is how the film slowly weaves its meditative web. Building up to a crescendo of quiet passivity and regret.

It's unlike any film Scorsese has made, within this sub genre.

Scope J and Monosterio like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Just saw a Ford vs Ferrari, and it's a film that really should be seen in the theater at least for the racing scenes.

18. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

This week

[​IMG]

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Tonight, I watched Free Solo at the movies with a friend (it runs in Salzburg at the moment as part of the annual festival on movies about mountains and climbing). Alex Honnold isn't exactly a very nice guy, but at the same time he's very reflective on his own personality, his passion for climbing, and his life in general. Plus, the images are just breathtaking. SO glad I got to see this on the big screen! Really deserves its reputation as one of the best documentaries of the decade.

vivresavie, Gollum and budwhite like this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Nice. I like to add that I though that Dawn Wall was a much much better documentary about another climber. Tommy Caldwell is also a more likeable guy.

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Saw The Irishman Monday and Ford v Ferrari the day before. My two favorite movies of the year so far.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]
    Totally worth the wait. Slow and thoughtfull. Scorsese is a brilliant director when he is at the top of his game!

Scope J likes this.
  23. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

I saw Motherless Brooklyn recently.
    Really enjoyed it.
    It reminded me of Chinatown ... not that’s a bad thing.

budwhite and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chinatown, set in NYC.

25. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

yes Chris you are spot on. actually saw this in your town last week-at AMC River East. first time in Chicago and really enjoyed it. here is my review previously posted elsewhere.
    saw Ford v Ferrari and thought it was great. easily top 5 of the year. the performances by Damon and Bale were really very good, especially Bale. the racing sequences were some of the best i have seen in a long time. interesting back story on how they chose to film those if you want to look into that. i see some Oscar noms coming their way. highly recommended.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.