Denon DCD2500NE CD Player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bobby Morrow, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I'm already noticing a slight difference in the build quality and playback quirks of the 520 and the 720 that I have.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Which player do you prefer?

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Do either of them have any problems playing certain CDs?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Not yet! I don't really play enough per day/week to find out for a while. I loaded up the Crowded House "Together Alone" Deluxe from last year or 2017, and the 720 took a while to process it and start playing. And then it was a little noisier when it stopped. The 520 is almost silent in that respect. Of course the 720 was bought 2nd hand, the 520 was new out of the box.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The 720 has a USB option, which lets me plug in my iPod from time to time, so I like that feature. But I am finding the 520 is a smoother operator (though as mentioned above, that might be because it was new out of the box).

EG.

George P likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It may play CDs, but it is not a CD player :cheers:

7. Jon Carter

Jon Carter Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.
    Well that is a shame George hope its nothing to serious with the 1600??
    Yes I also have a Marantz sa 11s3 sacd player. That is my spare one!!
    But I love the Denons for their simplicity in that they are purely for cd/high res duties with no extra circuitry etc for usb/headphone use.
    Thank you again.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

My player is pretty quick to process CDs, but I’ve noticed the machine whirring when some play. I’ve always put this down to imperfections in the discs themselves..

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes I'd be tempted to think a 2017 disc is more problematic in that sense than an 80s one :D

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Doubt it'll be twice as good sounding. :hide:

11. Bobby Morrow

Or maybe the way the players are put together. My 1520 is a wonderful machine, but it won’t even recognise Radio Musicola. All my other CD players have no trouble with it!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Probably not.:D

Eric_Generic likes this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Which version of Radio Musicola is it? I've got a German pressing that looks like the old Warner discs, with the all silver concentric circles in the middle.

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

I don’t have it in front of me, but I’m sure it’s a Nimbus pressing which suggests it was made in the U.K.?

Eric_Generic likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

That would make sense for an MCA disc. I got mine on eBay in the early 2000s, before I knew about different pressings and all that nonsense ;)

EG.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

You do have a lot to learn.

:D

17. BO_KNOWS

BO_KNOWS Well-Known Member

Hello Jon,

Thank you very much for this comparison! If I may put you on the spot for a minute, on a scale from 1-10, if 2500 is 10, how would you rate 1600 for the sound quality? I understand that 2500 has dual transformers (digital and analog), additional capacitors on the analog power supply board and better chassis. Not to mention the blingy remote ;-). I'm trying to find out if it's worth it to spend extra money and get DCD 2500NE. Since player is not offered in USA, I would have to buy it without any audition. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

FWIW, I read recently that the 1600 also has dual transformers.

19. BO_KNOWS

Hi George,
    I was hoping you are going to chime in. :)I read the same but from the pictures on web, I see only one transformer that probably has multiple taps for digital and analog power supplies. Also, if you didn't do this already and have spare time, go to Denon jp and use google translator to view the site. You will find a lot of good info about their SACD/CD players. DCD 2500NE is their mid range player. Funny, I use to owned Sony SDC-1 which was the top SACD Player at that time and the matching pre-amp. End up selling it all... If I go with DCD 1600NE, I will try to find out what are those 2 small bypass caps on the analog power supply board. It looks like they could make a difference.

20. Jon Carter

Jon Carter Well-Known Member

Hello, sorry I've only just seen your message. I can, with much confidence say that the 1600 really is a very good sounding player and I would not hesitate in giving it a 10 for sound quality. To compare the two players is interesting in that the 2500 has a little more grace and air over the 1600, maybe its just a tad more laid back and mellow sounding. I tend to listen mostly to Renaissance through to Classical on the 2500 and everything else on the 1600, although I had some Toto on the 2500 this morning and it sounded fantastic. The build quality of the 2500 is better, there is no doubt about that, but you would not be short changed by going for the 1600, and I'll be absolutely honest here I actually love them both but do slightly prefer the 1600 as an overall player. It does everything really well, has superb sonics and is the better value for money of the two!
    Best wishes
    Jon.

Carlox, caupina and George P like this.
  21. BO_KNOWS

Hello Jon,
    Your feedback is very much appreciated! I studied both player's construction and to some extend electronic components. I also read Denon's blog and q& a about those players from the main engineer and "sound manager" Yamauchi. Sound Manager spent 4 years on developing these pieces (DCD-SX1 and DCS-SX11) by listening and tweaking. They tried 20 plus different materials just for the feet of those players because each changed the sound. IMHO is quite a fanatical approach but this is what it takes to create the sound you are marveling about. Thank you again for your response. :righton:

Jon Carter and George P like this.
  22. BO_KNOWS

Here's the interview if you are interested:

Google Translate

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Cool. Would love to read something similar about the DCD-1600NE.

Carlox likes this.
  24. BO_KNOWS

Anything for you George :D

Google Translate

George P likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.