Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

To me Ian Anderson is Jethro Tull. His lyrics made me a Tull fan for life.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Doors - LA Woman. I went on an August buying spree and bought the Analogue Productions SACD releases of this and The Doors s/t. At $30 each from Acoustic Sounds they had the highest price tag of any of the dozen or so that I got. Four from Dutton Vocalion for cheap plus three regionally flawed Depeche Mode, and a few others. Anyhoo, the other Doors titles are available too, but those two are only ones that I found to be worth the price. The Doors s/t is the only one I'd call essential, but LAW is just outside the line.

While the stereo mix on the AP release is different and new, the multichannel mix is the same Bruce Botnick mix as on the old DVDA. Sounds really good to me. Morrison is in the center channel, while Manzarek is often in the back. (2/3)

3. riskylogic

TAAB 2 is a virtual Tull album, but if you are trying to buy it then that's not the artist name.

My Stormwatch order from Amazon UK has shipped!! Good things come to those who cheap out, eventually.

dougb222, tootull and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea mine too. Looking forward to it.

tootull likes this.
  5. tootull

:cool:

I usually find solo albums filed under Jethro Tull in stores.
    [​IMG]

Love TAAB2 in 5.1
    [​IMG]

6. riskylogic

Ahh, but you probably won't find this excellent album:

[​IMG]

7. tootull

Don't want to. :D Not my cup of tea.

This was my Sunday surround delight.
    [​IMG]

8. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

I have to give a nod to the Amazon credit card points, otherwise I would probably have passed on the Super Deluxe with Whipped Cream version. It is quite enjoyable, though. Clearly, with only 8 tracks to work with the rear channels are mostly extra ambience. Nevertheless, the surround mix is surprisingly involving. The book is excellent.

9. riskylogic

Aargh, it's so big. It must come in a really big box.

10. tootull

:laugh: Really big book! :shh:

This Led Zep would have been a big freaking deal in 5.1. :help:
    [​IMG]

11. By the time I got into Petty and Damn the Torpedoes, the Blu-ray was already pricey. A shame that surround mix hasn't been reissued. Surprised one of the audiophile labels never put out any Petty on SACD, makes me think Petty's management didn't like licensing their albums.

12. mark winstanley

That would have been great

Haggis Wampovich and tootull like this.
  13. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

L.A. Woman - for those “geezers” among us that recall the album being released in Quad back in the mid 70’s, is the 5.1 mix Mark described here just a manipulation of that, or something completely different? Just curious, as I only have vague recollections of the ‘74-ish Quad mix, mostly on Riders, how atmospheric it was.

14. riskylogic

The AP SACDs have the same "all new" mix as this set, which is going for the low low price of $594:

https://www.amazon.com/Perception-6CD-6DVD-Boxset-Doors/dp/B000ILYYJE

You can get all six AP SACDs for $180, just saying.

Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

15. No, a new discrete mix made back in 2006 I believe when the Perception DVD-A box came out.

Galactus2 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Of course no is really paying $600 for the perception box set, peep hole or not.

The Perception Box set remains one of the better values out there. A diligent shopper should still be able to secure a used set in that $100 range. That's like $17 a disc, and with the DVDA you get a ton of bonus material you don't get with the SACD.

There's a Perception Box set for sale right now for $89 in the SH Classifieds.

17. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I look forward to this, but do we assume you meant the first Court of album?

I happen to have the 40th anniversary edition of that, on DVD-A, and I thought Mr. Wilson did a very good job on it. Not sure what more there is, except tons of outtakes, demos, etc for the hard core fans?

18. mark winstanley

There is the 40th anniversary edition, and the just released 50th anniversary edition with a NEW Wilson mix... remix, whatever.
    I find it interesting that they did a remix... It is rare for me to have two copies of something, and I have never done this before, but I am going to try and compare them, because I am interested as to what made him feel he needed to redo this. I was happy with what we had

ti-triodes and Galactus2 like this.
  19. riskylogic

You really should proof Stormwatch too. :D

20. mark winstanley

If I get time I will run through Storm Watch, it arrived today ... but Marillion Afraid Of Sunlight arrived yesterday ... and TAAB II arrived yesterday too ... so I have a busy Sunday lol... we'll see what happens :)

drum_cas and highway like this.
  21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Delta Machine never really grabbed me like I had hoped it would. I was still excited when the surround mix was announced as part of the live set but even that didn't help the album much imo. Should Be Higher is one of their better tracks from their later period but the surround mix didn't highlight the stronger parts of the song.
    That entire set is odd with Corbjin wanting the concert video released on DVD and not Blu-ray. You can never go wrong with live Depeche Mode though and as you said, you get a lot of content for the price of admission.
    I highly recommend the Ultra surround mix if you haven't picked that one up yet. To me it's their strongest album post-Devotion and it's also probably their best sounding album with a great surround mix.

22. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I played this one this week as well and really enjoyed hearing it again. It's a great sounding disc and the surround mix is very good as well.
    I've also been curious if the mix changed between the original standalone release and the Perception version. I'm pretty sure the SACD mix is the same.

23. mark winstanley

I will have to check it out ... I have looked at it many times and been caught contemplating but never pulling the trigger.

jamesc likes this.
  24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

A surround disc and album I think you'll like if you haven't heard is Seventh Dream of Teenage Agree Heaven by Love And Rockets. Neil Wilkes did a superb surround mix on an already amazing album and the BD-A can still be found for reasonable prices.
    I really hope Beggars Banquet continues the series but it's been a while since this was released along with the Pixies title.

weekendtoy and mark winstanley like this.
  25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The surround mixes are the same.

mark winstanley and jamesc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.