Blue Nile - Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pavol Stromcek, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Can't understand the low numbers of re issue copies surely 5000 of each would sell out?

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I see that Hats is no longer available via amazon US. My preorder still looks ok so hopefully they still fulfill it. I’ll be a lot happier once it arrives!

3. Scored an original and mint 'Rooftops' in a record fair for £30 last week to replace the slightly battered one I had.
    Same seller also had a mint 'Hats' but not with him. Agreed on a purchase at next local fair. But these re-issues are coming out?......... Hmmm.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Was Hats priced pretty good too? If its reasonable, I'd grab it and then compare to the reissue, I don't think you'd have any problems selling which ever one you liked less

5. I've never heard 'Hats' and I've been looking for it for a while. He's also selling that for £30.

Neonbeam likes this.
  6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

UK or US Hats?

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

All three albums are still available for pre-order on Amazon Germany as they are released until next week.

8. It will be UK

9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

UK and US versions have different sleeves and are on different labels. Not sure if there are any differences in the mix.

10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

While I thought £30 a bit too rich for "A Walk Across The Rooftops" (but then again I haven't seen it for less than that in virtually ages!) I guess that's a very good price for an original UK "Hats". I'd definitely grab that next time around! :righton:

Too bad he didn't have both with him, you might have been able to haggle him down to.... well probably not £50 but..... :biglaugh:

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Then you are in for a treat, as it is their best album by a considerable margin: one of those rare perfect albums.

I can't comment on the vinyl version but the original European CD is excellent.

Radical347 and c-eling like this.
  12. Thanks all - as I said I've been looking for 'Hats' on vinyl for ages. General going price on Discogs is about £45 for an original (who knows what condition though). I am looking forward to getting it as 'A Walk Across The Rooftops' has stood the test of time and is easily one of the best album from '80s in my opinion. Stellar songwriting and arrangements on that one.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

Just to offer a different perspective on Hats, I actually think A Walk Across the Rooftops is by far their best album, but I'm probably in a minority on that. Hats is great, but it is slicker and more polished than Rooftops (some might say more refined), whereas Rooftops is more adventurous and artsy, if that makes sense.

Gardo, Markym, Marc Perman and 6 others like this.
  14. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Hats is more mature, Rooftops is the product of a hungrier band that is desperate to prove themselves

I dunno, I think Peace at Last might be their finest.

15. Yeah, I've sometimes wondered how 'Rooftops' could actually be bettered! But as you say, there are plenty who think they managed it.

16. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

I get why Hats seems to be the popular favorite, but I just prefer the slightly more "difficult" or "abstract" nature of Rooftops.

17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

So, anyone has these yet? Any comment on pressings and remastering job?
    Amazon is about to ship my order and it looks like they have sold out these pressings on preorders alone!

18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

As I pointed out above, all 3 are available to order on Amazon Germany Suchergebnis auf Amazon.de für: blue nile: Musik-CDs & Vinyl

19. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

My copies are arriving tomorrow.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Amazon UK was still showing my order of Hats being delivered today up to lunchtime but now I’ve had an email with a new estimate date of 21 December. It’ll likely show up earlier than that but it looks like this one sold really well.

21. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Has anyone listened to the Hats reissue? How does it hold up against the original?

@Eric_Generic ?

22. Bleu Noir

Bleu Noir Well-Known Member

Same here, doesn’t bode well!

23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

same. dull!

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve had emails like that before and usually the order shows up at least a week before the forecast date.

25. Bleu Noir

Bleu Noir Well-Known Member

I cancelled Amazon, got it on eBay for a pound more. I am worried it won’t get restocked as it is supposedly limited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.