PrimaLuna Evolution Series

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jeremy B., Mar 26, 2019.

1. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone heard anything about these?

The top of the line Evo 400 has very similar specs to the Dialogue Premium HP (which I bought in December and love dearly). Hard to tell where the improvements/differences may lie. The webpages for these products borrow the descriptions from the Dialogue series basically wholesale. Only real difference I spot is they've apparently switched to DuRoch tinfoil capacitors, from SCR tinfoil capacitors. Oh, and looks like they've added an RCA tape out, too.

Looks like they've also added a headphone jack to the model that replaces the Dialogue Premium (now called the Evo 300).

PrimaLuna Evo 400 Tube Integrated — PrimaLuna USA

PrimaLuna Evo 300 Tube Integrated — PrimaLuna USA

There's now a DAC too, but that probably deserves its own thread.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Monty12 likes this.
  2. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I also see a stereo/mono switch on the Evo which I don't think was on the Dialogue Premium HP.

Monty12 and DavidD like this.
  3. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think that switch might just be for the subwoofer out, but you're right, that isn't on the HP.

displayname and IGD Positive like this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Isn't that just to be able to switch between using the amps as monoblocks (one per channel) or as an integrated stereo amp?

5. IGD Positive

You might be right. It was just something that jumped out at me as different.

Maybe. Nothing on the page describes what it does as far as I can see.

6. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Coolest addition to me is the balanced inputs. I’d love an Evo 300

SKean likes this.
  7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The switch is for stereo/mono subwoofer out.

And I'll agree with @Jeremy Bunting - I love my Dialogue HP integrated.

Monty12, DavidD and displayname like this.
  8. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I bought my PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated ex-demo from a UK dealer as he'd run out of stock - and the new ones he had coming in were already spoken for . This was back in early January - and the 'new ones' that came in were the Evo models, so they've been out in the wild for a few months but I couldn't see anything online until this thread. Dealer said on first listen he couldn't hear any difference sound wise between the old / new models so it really does seem like it's an Evolution rather than a step change.

Having said that - I'm not sure it needed to be. This is my first valve (tube!) amp and have to say it's been the biggest single improvement to my ears that I've ever made in my main system. Absolutely thrilled with it - even more so given that as ex-demo I basically got an as new piece of kit for a chunk off retail price. It's feeling more like a bargain every time I listen to it.

**EDIT** Not least because I just looked at the price of the new model. Currently the EVO 400 is over £1000 more expensive at list price than the Dialogue Premium HP Integrated was!!! Wow.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  9. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Primaluna prices are rocketing! :wtf:

Nephrodoc, DavidD and displayname like this.
  10. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

I knew Evo line is coming so I asked for a nice discount on new Prologue Premium pre and got it:) Didn't want to pay full retail price of a new product which usually goes down in year/two.
    Based on specs, its very similar, maybe just "tuned" to different sound, but with tube rolling you can get sound you want anyway, since its already really great piece of gear.

But looking forward to some reviews and hopefully comparisons with older versions.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  11. IGD Positive

Where do you see balanced inputs?

DavidD likes this.
  12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

They're on the power amp, not the integrated.

Would love to know more about the "optional" MM stage.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. IGD Positive

Ahhhh cool. I didn't realize they had all the new models up. That is nice. Not that it's entirely necessary for me but I was hoping they'd eventually have some balanced inputs on their stuff just for the sake of flexibility.

DavidD and JackG like this.
  14. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

In the past, at least, the phono stage for PrimaLuna products has been an add-in card that can be installed by the dealer or a competent DIYer.

JackG likes this.
  15. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Tube phono was a pipe dream. :)

Subagent likes this.
  16. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It'd be nice if they added a stand alone phono stage to the Evolution line.

JackG and displayname like this.
  17. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I've been looking at these since they announced them on instagram a week or two ago. I haven't seen them in person, but I've been driving into the product pages and specs and what not.
    All in all I think the integrated amps all getting a headphone output is a great touch and real value add. I also like the EVO 100 line vs the Prologue Classic. I think this series makes more sense and gives people more "entrances" to the brand.

When it comes to the pre and power amps, I'd say get the models that are heading out now. I think they are starting to cash in on the brand name they've built over the years, which is fine. Given the life cycles of these products, they can probably also keep one price through the whole product life vs upping it a little every year or two. Seems reasonable.

They've also added one DAC so far. I say "so far" because I think it's interesting they called it the EVO 100 DAC instead of the EVO DAC. I'm somewhat wondering if a new CD player, streamer, and/or higher end digital components are coming. I think a streamer/digital hub would be a nice addition to the line. We'll see.

IGD Positive and HiFi Guy like this.
  18. sunmoon95

sunmoon95 Active Member

PrimaLuna at AXPONA, 12-14 April 2019
    Posted on 10/04/2019 by beheerder

Shared by Upscale Audio.

PrimaLuna’s new EVO Series of Tube Electronics will make its North American trade show debut next week at AXPONA, 12-14 April, at the Renaissance Schaumberg Hotel and Convention Center, Schaumberg, IL. PrimaLuna will unveil this innovative new product line in the Inspiration Room, on the main floor. Kevin Deal, President, and Anthony Chiarella, National Sales Manager, will be on hand to demonstrate product and answer questions.

It has been nearly a decade since PrimaLuna has introduced an entirely refreshed product line and PrimaLuna fans will find the new EVO series shares the previous line’s DNA. The new products feature upgraded transformers and internal components, improved aesthetics (rounded faceplate edges, Roll-Top tube cages on all models, etc) and an enhanced features set including headphone amplifiers on all integrated amplifiers and true-balanced, transformer-coupled XLR inputs and outputs on upper-end models. Just as importantly is what hasn’t changed, including the metaculous hand-assembly, point-to-point wiring, superlative build quality and cutting-edge Adaptive Auto-Bias (TM) circuitry upon which PrimaLuna has built its reputation.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

One thing they fixed in the EVO line is the previous issue some users experienced with GoldenEar Triton's with built in powered subwoofers. I had called them when I purchased the EVO 400 Integrated to see if I would need to send for a 82 ohm wirewound resistor (their workaround listed on the site) as I am using a pair of Triton 3+. They said the issue that issue is fixed in the EVO line, and I can confirm I have not experienced any of the issues I'd read about with any bass flutter or the amp.

displayname likes this.
  20. Rushfan71

Rushfan71 Member

The Dialogue Premium HP has a stereo / mono switch just to the right of the inputs. Can be run as monoblocks

21. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Bumping this thread for any experiences with the EVO series. My EVO 300 is coming in this week and would love to hear any insights folks might have with it.

DavidD likes this.
  22. MichaelArcane

MichaelArcane Purveyor of Terrible Opinions

Have been listening to mine all morning, what do you wanna know?

DryWhiteToast and OC Zed like this.
  23. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

How would you describe the sounds you’re getting from the amp? Are there certain genres or tunes that you feel it excels? Have there been any problems or anything weird so far? And are you still using stock tubes?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

24. Echo's Answer

Echo's Answer Forum Resident

I’d like to know how often do you use triode mode? Can you tell a big difference?

I’m still deciding between the 200 and 300

DryWhiteToast likes this.
  25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I have a Dialogue HP integrated. The difference between ultralinear and triode is very subtle. I almost never use triode, although it is useful for taming bass heavy recordings.

It's not enough of a difference on which to base a buying decision.

SinnerSaint and Echo's Answer like this.