His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Enjoying it so far. Have heard good things about the books which I haven't read but I enjoyed the Golden compass at the cinema years ago luckily I can't remember much about it (apart from the bear), so it's all new to me!

Going out at 8pm over the in UK I think it's more aimed at families than GOT!

2. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Gardo likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

To be honest I can't really disagree with any of that, I was just hoping as the series went on it would get better and I would feel more engaged with the story and characters. But after two episodes I find myself not caring about any of it.

And I do hate it when they announce before it's started that this is going to be 'your next obsession' - that is something I will decide.

Gardo, gabacabriel and Scott222C like this.
  4. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

I'm the same too but my daughter, who has read the books, has also said it gets good now, the bonus this week is if I still feel the same we've got War Of The Worlds to watch afterwards...ooolaaaa.....

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

watched episode one.........as i stated above: meh.

watched 20 minutes of episode two, turned it off, removed it from future recordings on the DVR

just not a very good show at all, actually, pretty bad show.

Gardo, Scott222C and gabacabriel like this.
  6. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

There was enough in episode 2 to keep me watching. Few dramatic set pieces and a couple of key developments which sets the scene for future development.

The source material is highly rated so I’m sure the pay off in time invested will be there for me!

7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I love, love, LOVE the books.

But two episodes in, the new series is proving a major snoozefest.

"Disappointed" doesn't begin to describe it :(

Gardo and marmalade166 like this.
  8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

From what I've read from those who have read the books, some have been genuinely fascinated that elements from the other books have already been introduced so early in the story, such as Lord Boreal already travelling between worlds as it seems he's been doing it for quite some time.

Somebody also made mention that the series is called His Dark Materials and not Northern Lights as if the series oughta follow the book chapter by chapter. I'm all for foreshadowing just so long as we don't get too many spoilers so early in the story. Heck, some have even mentioned that the Opening Credits reveals elements from The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass but does so, as if they're Easter Eggs or something.

Either way, I will continue watching.

9. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

That's just the problem, though - I think they ARE dropping spoilers too early.

I appreciate the books are not sacred texts, and that some adaptation is required/desirable from page to screen...but if you are going to mess around so fundamentally with the structure of the story, then you had better have a bloody good reason to do it.

FVDnz likes this.
  10. True but it was published as three books (just like the Lord of the Rings trilogy). It is ONE work but it's really three books essentially presenting different elements of the story.
    I would disagree. It’s a choice for sure but tying too Lyra closely would and could have derailed the narrative. A book has all the time in the world to world build, a TV program, even with the expanded time, has limited time to build a relationship with the audience before losing that audience. Whereas with a book, you can skip around.

FVDnz and Antmanbee like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We should try and isolate this notion and turn it into another thread, which is of supreme importance to the way series are being optioned and developed these days in the glow of success of series like The War Of The Rings have become.

On the surface, you have a book you can sit with for an hour, then go make dinner, than pick back up. You have a series you can sit in front of for an hour, then go make dinner, then watch another one. Why are the expectations for these experiences different. Other than, of course, who is doing the recommendations getting you to either pick up the books, or commit to the TV show/movies...and, what's your level of patience for how long you have to wait for satisfaction.

The Ring books, of course, are all finished, and you've presumably known about their significance since the Nixon Administration. A Song Of Ice And Fire couldn't even get written fast enough to keep up with a series that wasn't at many points even following the original narrative anyway. Harry Potter forced you to not decide which one to prefer, until you had consumed both. Bond...? Ugh, don't get me started on Bond...!

This stuff is worth discussing on its' own merits.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    FVDnz likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm quite liking it, and the second episode really caught me. I like that they're pulling other elements in, and since Pullman is a producer, if he wants to change it around (especially in the second and third books) I'm perfectly fine with that. They're not holy writ for me.

FVDnz and audiomixer like this.
  13. Well they are only spoilers if you haven’t read the books and want to read them. They’ve integrated the other material earlier which isn’t uncommon in a series like this. Game of Thrones and even Lord of the Rings did this as well as adding material in the case of the latter and subtracting in the case of the former to make a compelling narrative.

FVDnz likes this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

As bad as “Perfect Harmony” is? :whistle:

15. Chris DeVoe

It's the nature of screenwriting as opposed to the art of the novel. I quite enjoyed the movie and I wish that they had completed the series, but I'm confident that BBC and HBO are committed to finishing this whole thing. They are still being quite careful with the nature of the Magisterium, but I guess I can't blame them too much for that.

FVDnz and wayneklein like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

It's been a while since I have read the books, but I don't recall Lyra actually seeing the plans for intercision before heading north.

17. Exactly. It comes down to different narrative choices that work in one format vs. the other. I honestly don’t think that the novel would work as written as a film or TV show.

FVDnz and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. APH

APH Forum Resident

They have derailed the narrative though, by jumping all over the place, and mixing in bits of different books to make a big mush. All without ever establishing the basics of the world in a satisfactory way. Something the film managed really well.

19. I disagree.

20. Chris DeVoe

One thing I don't remember from the book at all was the reporter and Mrs. Coulter's party, and her being hustled out to the car and apparently...
    ... being killed by somebody killing her dæmon!

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Episode 3, The Spies was another great instalment. We get to see more of the Gyptians and Lyra gets to learn more about the Alethiometer, thanks to an explanation from James Cosmo's Farder Coram.

The scene at Mrs Coulter's apartment towards the end of the episode was just chilling to watch.

Next week, Lee Scoresby and Iorek Byrnison at last!

Chris DeVoe and marmalade166 like this.
  22. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I thought it was a good episode. The raid on oxford and the idea conflict between scholastic sanctuary and the magisterium (?) is something I look to see developed on.

FVDnz likes this.
  23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

24. Chris DeVoe

FVDnz, marmalade166 and DML71 like this.
  25. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.