His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

As an animal lover, my kid is hooked on HDM due to the use of daemons or animal representations of each character's soul. I think HBO was too deliberate in making HDM similar to GoT, Harry Potter and a couple of other tremendously popular series. But if future episodes transcend those, HDM will be quite an accomplishment. Remains to be seen but we are enjoying it for now. It could be HBO's most popular series ever.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks so much for sharing them. She obviously loves the books, but is also totally comfortable with the changes necessary to make it work as a series. And as Pullman is a producer on this, they're not going to do anything to really undermine his vision.

I absolutely don't get The Game of Thrones comparisons. This is a very different series for a very different audience. Whoever did an ad telling people "this is going to be your new obsession" should be keelhauled.

Dubmart and FVDnz like this.
  3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yeah, I know. No wonder why people are disappointed. These books are far from anything GoT!

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Well, there are children in peril. The mythical north. An evil mother. A very British feel. There's also the headmaster and a "hogwarts"ish campus. These themes are handled altogether differently in HDM, but I don't think it's a complete coincidence that HBO picked up the series with elements proven to resonate with younger audiences.

FVDnz likes this.
  5. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

After a false start where I just didn't get into the first episode and didn't finish it, I tried again over the weekend and loved it. I also liked the second episode.

I have many questions, but I'm willing to be patient and see if they're explained. If not, I'm still enjoying it.

The production values are very high. The sets, CGI buildings and landscapes, and especially the daemons are very well done.

FVDnz likes this.
  6. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Hmm, since you put it that way...

7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I bailed after episode 2.....have things improved any with later episodes?

8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Oh man, Episode 3 was really good. I'm about to watch Episode 4 in a moment.

DML71, GregM and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And going into her analysis of the Pilot episode, interesting that they borrowed from one of the Book of Dust books for an establishing scene for Lord Azriel. Guess it's okay as Pullman did give permission. Must start reading the books soon - and maybe I will start with La Belle Sauvage. :)

10. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Episode 4 was the best yet and really proved this show has legs. Lin-Manuel Miranda was great, and he seems to have energized those around him, especially Dafne Keene who really felt compelling against him Iorek. Set design was pitch-perfect, and for once I got a sense of scale, from the smallest nooks and crannies to the wide vistas in the establishing shots. The daemons were actually present, and in the case of Miranda's character there was stronger chemistry between actor and daemon. Hopefully this quality is maintained for the rest of the run.

marmalade166 and FVDnz like this.
  11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Loving the show as a non-book reader. My wife is obsessed with the books and besides a couple casting complaints, she is really enjoying it. We both agree Ruth Wilson's role is the best thing about the show.

Doc Sportello, FVDnz and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

Read the first two books and meant to read the third but haven’t yet. Loving the TV version. GoT comparisons seem slightly mad really. Found GoT utterly drawn out and OTT.

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that in the UK at least it’s sitting in the Sunday early evening slot which is traditionally a kids TV slot, DR Who etc. So it does have that feel to it, because it’s meant to.

It’s not the same as the books which I think is fine, I doubt it would really work if it followed them directly. It definitely has the feel of them for me.

I think it’s one I’ll show my kids when they are a smidge older, hopefully the CGI won’t date too much. Looks pretty good to me though.

FVDnz and marmalade166 like this.
  13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I watched eps. 3&4 last night. I've been 'on the brink' of dropping it as I'm not a big fan of fantasy aimed at youngsters, on the screen OR TV. Show's well done but it wasn't 'hooking' me. The introduction of Miranda infused the show with a much-needed energy boost. This was my 1st exposure to him, I've heard he's a very big deal to some, and I liked him! Silly as it sounds, I've NEVER been able to suspend belief when it comes to 'talking' animals. Cartoons, no problem, live-action, I'll pass 99.9% of the time! I'm on the fence about this one, but I'm still in!

FVDnz, Chilli and zombiemodernist like this.
  15. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

This show has improved greatly since the `Hamilton' guy came aboard. I get a kick out
    of Dafne Keen. IMDB doesn't say how old she is - she could be anywhere from 14-24.
    And I dig the bear.

FVDnz, Chilli and zombiemodernist like this.
  16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

According to her Wiki page, she's 14.

17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Chilli, Denim Chicken and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I just watch the season finale. Good Lord is this a dark show!

19. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Yeah I'd forgotten how gutting the end of the first book is!

FVDnz, MoonPool and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

The series end was even more powerful than the book. Hard to imagine a worse set of parents then Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter, a pair of power-mad murderers.

FVDnz, MoonPool and marmalade166 like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Sorry, I said "series end" what I meant was "season end."

I sincerely hope that this show gets to complete its run through the end of The Amber Spyglass.

FVDnz and MoonPool like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Have you and your kid finished the season? How is their therapy going?

Doc Sportello likes this.
  23. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to the second and third series. Those were my favourites of the books, and all pretty unique.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sounds terrible, haha. No, we aren't watching anymore. Going through a phase where things like Ratatouille are more palatable.

FVDnz and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

It's great television, but it's one of those films that feature kids that really isn't intended for kids. PG-13.
    Okay. Maybe when he or she is older.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.