The Crown on Netflix.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chumlie, Nov 6, 2016.

1. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

The guy playing Ted Heath has got his voice to a tee. Candlelight and the three day week - a handy reminder of what awaits us in the months to come ;)

2. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Propaganda for the uneducated masses.

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Terrific episode.
    I remember when that tragedy occurred.

Hot Ptah and jlocke08 like this.
  4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Watch episode 7, about the moon landing. His performance is fascinating.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Hey , as Mel Brooks so brilliantly put it in ' History of the World Part One ' : " It' s good to be da King !"

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Not a mining disaster, but a terrible tragedy indirectly caused by the mining industry. I was born 6 miles from Aberfan.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'm just starting episode 5 of season 3 where Lord Mountbatten is introduced, played by Charles Dance.

My immediate thought when he's been on screen maybe 10 seconds is, have they made a mistake in casting him in this role, as he could have been a very interesting choice to play the larger role of Prince Philip in seasons 5 and 6.

jlocke08 likes this.
  8. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

"The Daily Mail reported in the United Kingdom that Imelda Staunton would be joining “The Crown” in seasons 5 and 6 as Queen Elizabeth II. She’d replace Olivia Colman, who replaced Claire Foy, as the queen continued to age.

Netflix, which released the excellent season 3 of “The Crown” last week, refuted the claim. “We are currently filming season 4 of The Crown but have not commissioned any further seasons as yet, therefore any news on casting remains pure speculation," the company release said.

But Deadline and the Hollywood Reporter are going with the story nonetheless. The publications are claiming that Staunton, from the Harry Potter movies, “Vera Drake,” and the “Downton Abbey” movie, is indeed in talks for the role. She would likely be the version of the queen who has to cope with the Diana problem, and I can picture her in that position perfectly."

9. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

That's us. Impressionable dolts eager to believe anything!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Lord Mountbatten is in the earlier episodes of Season 3 of The Crown.

12. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

As regards propaganda, it's funny how some reviewers see The Crown as a promotional tool for the royal family. Not having cared much either way for most of my life, the more I learn about them, the more useless they seem to me. Now they may have a symbolic value which has nothing to do with what they do, but showing them doing nothing doesn't exactly raise them in my estimation.

Off topic, I read a book called The Spy and the Traitor by Ben MacIntyre wherein a self-important equerry's quest for a royal video recorder takes precedence over reaching the prime minister for an approval of a spy extraction. I hope that scene makes it into season 4!

13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I can't see any reference to (nor do I remember) Charles Dance appearing before Episode 5, am interested to know where if I'm wrong!

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Haven't seen any of The Crown - although my late mother (God rest her soul) - would have loved it... pity she didn't live to see this series; she would have ate it up!!!

But your assessment about the current monarchy is correct, in my opinion (and I'm speaking as an until-recently diehard monarchist); Queen Elizabeth II should be the LAST British monarch... after that, a semi-presidential system should be brought in with an elected President of limited executive powers, counterbalanced by a cabinet government elected (mostly) from the House of Commons as currently, balanced by an elected Senate of equal representation for the four U.K. nations, and all of it codified in a written Constitution. And close down the wretched devolved legislatures... thank you Tony Blair for that constitutional mess!!!

End political rant... sorry mods.

15. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Here are two excerpts of the type of commentary I've run into in the media in Finland, recently (emphasis mine, as are the translations, of course).

"It sure is remarkable that we, in times of alarming escalation of climate crisis and right wing populism, sit glued watching a drama designed to seduce us into feeling closeness with an institution which consists of strange, yet strangely charming freaks and whose main function again and again is revealed to be to stand for stability and order through not reacting." (Pia Ingström in Hufvudstadsbladet, November 24, 2019)

"If it weren't for The Crown, Elizabeth II would appear to many young adults, for example, merely as that aged queen of a former world power, who dresses slightly too colourfully and whose death the British tabloids await with a barely contained excitement. The image now formed [in The Crown] of Elizabeth is the one it should be and which the British royal court has in former times avoided to give as if their lives depended on it. The Queen, too, is a human being." (Sami Koski in Iltalehti, November 20, 2019)

I nod in disagreement, so to speak. I get where those viewpoints are coming from. I guess we all get what we come for, from a show like this. I want to say I have respect for the Queen, but then do I know her? (No.) I don't think the show gets to what she is as a human being, either. A lot of times it just circles around the idea that she too might have human urges and insecurities. I think that has to do with how the royals are treated and how they carry themselves in the United Kingdom, as if they are not of this world. The show doesn't want to break the spell, either.

I don't know what part the royal househould had in making this series. They must have agreed to a thing or two in regard to locations? But even if I am not convinced, it does do a better job for them than when they go in front of the cameras themselves.

16. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I’m no royalist but HM Queen has performed her duties without ever commenting publicly on the disasters paraded in front of her by nation and family for some 70 years. I’d be more than happy for her to do it for another 70. And now she can’t comment on this fictionalised version of her life, which will be the version on tv forever more.

The Hermit and Rufus McDufus like this.
  17. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

No your quite right, Mountbatten does debut in Episode 5. I'm getting my episodes muddled up! Profuse apologies to you.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

I believe everything I read on this forum ! Don't you?

19. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

I cant say i am enjoying this series.
    The actors are so wooden and the story lines slow and dull, enjoyed the other two far more....
    Maybe because we know the current lot and the storylines

20. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Tobias Menzies is one of the best things about the new series. If they did a Duke of Edinburgh spin-off, I'd be up for that. :)

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yes, that was incredibly wrenching. Even though she had relatively few lines, her facial expressions and body language spoke volumes.

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Unlikely.

Anyway, Charles taking over?

Reports: Prince Charles being prepared to take over monarchy, will be king by 2021

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Coleman has to the difficult job of having to play someone incredibly who is incredibly restrained.

24. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Not doubting that, but there is nothing remarkable about these people in my opinion you almost feel sorry for them for being born into this privilege.
    Just enjoyed the previous series more as stories and characters were more engrossing this series just feels lifeless.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident