Nad c328 thinking of adding Kef ls50, opinions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ant1, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ant1

Ant1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh interesting, another option to think about. But yeah the cabling would be a bitch and impossible to not have run across the floor exposed. And then either go up the wall or in it. I also imagine they wouldn't want to be mounted like surrounds but down at seated ear level which would make them stand out .

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Ant1

No one with nice bookshelves that I can think of, most of them make choices on aesthetics rather than sound. I have a musician friend with nice speakers but they're towers.

Funnily enough the sound system - "The End" System – Planet of Sound that sent me on this quest to improve my system had Harbeth's but of a much more expensive model.

3. Ant1

I've added a wider picture of the room to give a better idea of what I'm working with. That red/orange chair is my usual seat, the ceilings are 10.5'.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

LOVELY space!!

Ant1 likes this.
  5. noway

noway Forum Resident

You could stop by one of the local pro music stores that have good returns (ie. Long and McQuade,etc.) and try a pair of adjustable height studio monitor stands placed at the right and left corners of the credenza and a bit in front of it. Adjust height so that they clear the furniture obstructions on the way to the listening area. Keep them in perfect shape and if they don't work out, return them.

6. Ant1

So I decided to get a Yamaha A-s801 and KEF LS50 speakers. I've installed them today and am very happy! Tried the speakers with the Nad c 328 to really see if I really needed a more powerful amp, and the Nad certainly didn't have the power to get up to higher volume levels, switched out to the Yamaha and can turn up the volume and let the speakers sing . I can see at very high volumes that my setup isn't ideal (room, placement, windows...) as everything starts to get muddled. I'll keep listening and have a week to decide on the amp and two weeks for the speakers.
    Thanks for all the advice/opinions.
    Next up getting the pre amp out of my turntable.
    [​IMG]

adamos, jcr64, timind and 2 others like this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I think you could fit LS50s on stands in front of that credenza. The KEF stands are around 300 USD and, when filled to the top with sand, are rock solid.

They can also stay with you through further upgrades when you eventually move up again from the NAD.. I ran them with a 105WPC Rega Elicit-R and now in a smaller room with a Line Magnetic amp.

I can't say enough about the LS50.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Congrats! The LS50 really open up after 6 months. Keep them!

9. Ant1

This is our living room as mentioned above, it's not just about the quality of sound. There are aesthetic's that come into play and speaker stands in front of the credenza won't fly. If this was my personal listening room then I absolutely would rearrange to get the best audio quality.

Eigenvector likes this.
  10. Ant1

Thanks! I am sitting here playing music with no one home and a big smile on my face .

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

patient_ot likes this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

Cool, glad you’re enjoying!

if it were me, I’d put the amp on top of the CD player to make sure heat can escapd

jcr64 likes this.
  13. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

You can use the IsoAccoustics ISO-Pucks if you don't want to mess with the aesthetic of the room. I have mine placed on the study desk and the pucks do a better job than the previous Auralex ProPad I had, which BTW were a bitch to clean due to their rugged and porous surface.

14. Ant1

I tried it that way first (it's a tape deck by the way) but the amp is deeper than the tape deck so the 4 feet don't fully sit on the tape deck, and the amp weighs 26lbs roughly as opposed to the few pounds the tape deck weighs. I'm checking how hot the amp is getting every time I change a record and so far it's only gotten warm and I'm playing louder than I normally would.

15. james

james Summon The Queen

I’ve always wondered if my paranoia about that is justified or not. Just thought I’d mention it.

the 801 is a keeper for sure

if you get the chance to try the speakers on some big heavy stands I think you’ll be even more happy. Nice rig!

16. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I’d suggest purchasing some cones underneath your speakers. The KEF model you own is a good match with the NAD amp so maybe try lifting the speakers off of the credenza. This should open up the overall sound and decrease any mid bass mud you may be hearing. Also, as previously mentioned you might try repositioning the speakers so the speaker front is even with the front of the credenza which should help with the overall imaging and treble clarity. Here is a link to Music Direct with the cones. If you have questions call music direct, they are usually very helpful. BDR - CONES | Shop Music Direct

You may also want to upgrade your turntable and cartridge. In this instance and, after the above modifications, a turntable upgrade may make a larger positive upgrade than just changing out speakers. Good listening!

17. hifisoup

Oh. Just saw your new photos. Good for you. Looks killer! Let us know how you like that combination. I’d still try cones underneath the new speakers ...they will really open up once they are disengaged from the credenza. Enjoy!

Ant1 likes this.
  18. hifisoup

never set an amp on top of a tape deck or CD player. A set of vibration cones between the 801 and deck would work wonders and also allow plenty of room for ventilation.

This is the most I have ever written about vibration cones. I am done now.

Enjoy!

19. Ant1

That's a lot of cones, won't be able to look out the window after I'm done... Wife came home, volume lowered, commented about the round shape of the front of the kEF's . So yeah all the audio gadgets will not be happening anytime soon, I'll stay vigilant about heat build up and if it gets bad I'll have to reconfigure or dump the tape deck. It would look cleaner without it.

20. Iffy

Iffy Member

Wow, what a lovely place to relax with your music. Seems really cozy and the light is awesome.
    I would also recommend the isacoustics (155 could do or Aperta). Don't have them cause I yet have to build my first serious hifi setup and for space at my place (also wife/girlfriend taste problems) she is against tower speakers or stands so from what I've seen I could need them.
    Wow, what a lovely place to relax with your music. Seems really cozy and the light is awesome.
    I would also recommend the isacoustics (155 could do or Aperta). Don't have them cause I yet have to build my first serious hifi setup and for space at my place (also wife/girlfriend taste problems) she is against tower speakers or stands so from what I've seen I could need them.

Ant1 likes this.
  21. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I do have the IsoAcoustics Iso-L8R155 under the KEF Q100s in my living room. Separating the speaker from the shelf surface made an audible difference in tightening the bass and making the sound airier. Either those or the Aperta equivalent (which is better looking but more expensive) would be helpful with your setup.

22. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

Try this placement method if you want to hear true potential of your KEFs.

23. Iffy

Iffy Member

Nice to hear it cause I won't be able to try them the day I need, guess the 155 can also support Klipsch 600M which are a little bigger in case I go with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.