Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

So did I.

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Oh right, I got confused as someone was talking about Lullabies bonus tracks earlier...

3. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

The original US Ipecac is significantly different. Everything Black Stripes said about it in the post above mirrors my experience with mine. I have 2 US copies, 2 original EU copies, as well as the glow in the dark bootleg. The original EU snd glow in the dark sounds very close to the cd. The original US Brian Gardner cut sounds nothing like the cd. It’s a totally different mastering. It’s not brick wall compressed, has much more presence from the drums, and eq choices are very different. It’s not murky and dense like the cd; it’s sharp and open sounding. I like it a lot. The copies I have are a little noisy, and I bought them both sealed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  4. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Has anyone seen Rated R stocked in shops? Amoeba Hollywood had 30+ copies of SFTD but zero Rated R...

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

My local shop in Santa Ana, Orange County had 2 copies of Rated R that sold out immediately on Friday.

jacethecrowl likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Thanks for the input. I checked my copy - back then pressings didn't matter that much, one bought what one found in the shop - but I'm glad that I have the original US.

How do the three official pressings of "Lullabies To Paralyze" compare? The original has cool colour and different artwork.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Playing the Songs For The Deaf and revisiting the cd. I made comparisons on Tidal streaming, the cd and the vmp red vinyl version (which according to Chris Bellman is the same mastering as the new mass lp release).

Its kind of a funky recording to begin with. Has a bit of a closed in sound. Reminds me of the typical Soundgarden type recording. Its not a bad sounding recording but Id imagine a difficult one to “open up”.

I think as far as straight up rock n roll guitar sound the lp loses nothing over the original cd nor the Tidal stream. What it does have is a bigger soundstage. Which, imo, makes the nee lp a winner. The drums are rather subdued on all formats. I think its just the way it was recorded. It isnt a Nirvana record with the big Grohl bombastic drums.

Im pleased with this reissue.

Deuce66, ODShowtime and GentleSenator like this.
  8. funkyfoot

funkyfoot Member

I am glad that for this long-waited reissue they choose Pallas. That’s what this album deserves.

9. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Any other opinions on Rated R? I've got the good EU pressing. Looking for a compelling reason to get this one since it's a Bellman cut but also don't want to waste my money.

10. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

So those who own more than one vinyl version of Songs For The Deaf don't think this new one is the best? I have the original CD and would love something with more dynamics. If anybody has more comparisons pls let us know!

What is the most deep, dynamic Songs For The Deaf? Thanks in advance fellow heads!

11. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

What's the best way to tell which version of Rated X I have?

12. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Just trying to listen to the CD now. The music makes you want to turn it up, but it is just so hard on the ears. Hoping somebody can recommend the best vinyl version for crankability and increased dynamics.

13. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

I was referring to this pressing which I own: Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R (X-Rated)
    Compare the matrix on your copy. "HL" stands for cutting engineer Heino Leja:
    Matrix / Runout (Side A, stamped): B041493-01 A2 HL
    Matrix / Runout (Side B, stamped): B041493-01 B3 HL

14. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I have the good Rated X version and to my ears, this reissue crushes it. Vinyl appears high quality, BG in the dead wax should have alleviated any doubt, and I'm thrilled with it. I dont find that its pressed overly quiet on my setup either. Background totally silent.

pexie and Revolver like this.
  15. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

I have the original European pressing cut by MK at Optimal.. I almost daren't open the can of worms as to where that one might stand! As good as the good? Better than the good? Slightly sub-good?

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Actually, I'm playing the HL press now and it also sounds really good. Might have jumped the gun saying the reissue crushes it. Forgot I hadn't spun this since I upgraded my setup. The OP of X/R is the only original queens press I dont have, so I can't speak to comparisons to the MK/Optimal cut.

17. danner

danner Forum Resident

It's been a long time since I've listened to my copy Rated X closely, but I got curious and checked the matrix numbers. I guess this isn't the good one?

B041493-01 A1 MK
    B041493-01 B2 HL

18. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Don’t forget about the original U.K. Ray Staff cut (RAYS etched in the deadwax). That one sounds great and was preferred by many to the MK cut. That cover had the Parental Advisory sticker in the lower left corner and no hype sticker in the upper right.

19. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

A GZ Media pressing caused all the fuss about "good" and "bad" because this one must be pretty bad: Queens Of The Stone Age - X
    GZ Media repressed it later from a different in-house cut which is rumored to be better than their initial pressing. There is still no Discogs submission for it unfortunately. Read this comment from GZ Media about it: Queens of the Stone Age - Rated X (2nd pressing)

As long as you do not have that bad GZ Media pressing, I would think you have one of the "good" ones. Even more likely if it is an Optimal Media cut with HL involved - as in your case on side B. Your copy is this one: Queens Of The Stone Age - X

Aftermath and danner like this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This is why I start to disregard comments even on here now, ridiculous...so you haven’t in fact compared both copies on your current setup?

21. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I did now. I still prefer the recent reissue. The HL version is cut louder, but the new reissue sounds a bit more dynamic with greater separation of the vocals and instrumentation on most tracks. But please feel free to disregard my comments. I'm not here for you.

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

It’s sounds like you made the decision about which one you preferred even before you heard it?

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

For anyone with an original MK (side A)/HL (side B) pressing (attn: @danner), is side A terribly off-center? My needle sways back and forth a lot, to the point that I can hear speed fluctuations during 'Better Living Through Chemistry' and 'Monsters In the Parasol'. Curious if they're all like this or just mine.

24. danner

danner Forum Resident

I'm giving my copy a spin now, and side one appears to be fine.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  25. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

I have this pressing, and no, my one has no issues whatsoever.

I also originally had the 'bad' GZ media reissue, it sounded flat, lifeless, was very low in volume. The difference in sound between the bad GZ and the 2000 MK / HL was night and day.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.