Grateful Dead Dave’s Picks 2019 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I agree. The deltas and the east and the freeze was interpreted in the 80s (height of the Cold War of course) as a change in the east = nuclear freeze, which works for me.

I also always like the alternate lyrics Hunter sang, but that I guess Garcia must have rejected: “The ABC’s of the fastball curve, trying not to lose your nerve.”

Billy_Sunday, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yankee... Hotel... Foxtrot

AxiomAcoustics and budwhite like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

[​IMG]

And suddenly it was 3AM Sunday morning. This was the “playlist” Saturday night. Oh it started innocently enough with Pangaea for dinner. (Not to be confused with Paella for dinner.) We already had plans to give DaP 32 it’s first serious listen and Live Evil seemed a natural transition as we settled into our front row seats of the venue. Miles and the Dead make for a great double-bill and the kaleidoscopic nature of the playing and massive soundstage was amazingly fitting and complementary. Enter 32: Killer first set with plenty of highlights in Row Jimmy, TLEO, a starkly beautiful LL Rain, HCS, Playin and a Loser that Mrs. Ax declared “Best ever. For now.” (Furthur proof that indoctrination works.)

Then on to the second set that by the time He’s Gone got chooglin’ had us mesmerized. The X-Factor was in full bloom as they backed their way into Dark Star (remember what TC said about DS) and melted into Sing Me Back Home we were speechless, literally. As Sing Me ended we just turned and looked at each other in amazement, mouths agape. That was supposed to signal sleepy time but damn, we needed another Dark Star>Sing Me Back Home so I quickly reached for the Veneta gig and we gave that our utmost attention. Ok, now sleepy time? Nope, my tour partner yelled from the couch: “I want to hear the Bird Song!” 3AM came quickly friends. Only thing missing were the mushrooms. (And those, when conditions are right, can be harvested not 6 blocks from the house. But that’s another story we’ll save for another time.)

True story: We have these video doorbell deal-e-o's and one of them is mounted outside of where the listening room is located. After we turned things off for the evening/morning we noticed we had an alert ‘round about 1:30AM. It sometimes gets triggered by large vehicles passing and it was the local fire engine rumbling by. But the latter half of the video had captured some music. We play it again. What the heck is that? Wait, it was Daves 32 getting picked up on our doorbell, outside the house. Bottom line? It’s crankable. Do try this at home. :D

4. AxiomAcoustics

[​IMG]

:biglaugh:

:sigh:
    So, the fiscal year is over and the last quarter results are in and it has been quite a profitable year. Let’s hope for continued growth next year. And pray that they can get their maddening and absurd shipping/customer dis-service act together.

I’m still waiting for my second copy of this pick (I have 2 subs) for which I’m still awaiting a response and they still owe us 2 T-shirts (one of which, for my wife, is now out of stock, grrrrrr) Nightfall Of Diamonds and RT1.1 from an order in August! And I’ve been made many promises and have had copious amounts of smoke blown up.....ah forget it. Fellow sufferers I’m there with you.

Dear Warner Music Group,

Yesterday was Sunday. I ordered the new Jimi Hendrix Fillmore box. It arrived today. Get your effing **** together and act like a real company that cares.

Sincerely,
    Ax

5. AxiomAcoustics

[​IMG]

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Whoa, careful with that kick drum, William.

Finally listening to DvP32

7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

RE: how high Billy's drums are in the mix for Set 2

I LOVE it on the big jam between Truckin and Dark Star....those cymbals....yes!!! Glorious.

8. AxiomAcoustics

I declare Billy the hero of this one. He's relentless and never let's anyone off the hook and never allows a moment of indecision. When Billy's on the band is on.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’m excited. Still haven’t had a chance to put this one on. I love when Billy is driving the jam. Those are some of the sections where the whole band seems to turn on a dime, like they were reading a chart.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

When I finally get my Dave's Picks 32 and am able to review it ... everyone will be onto the next pick.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

does the dead store still do deals in december?

12. Yeah, 1 month off your delay time so you'll have you order by summer. :biglaugh:

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at that 12/28/88 show and it is a good one, my favorite of the run. There are a few ‘88 shows I’d want to see as official releases ahead of it (6/28, 6/30, 7/2, 7/29, and 9/16), but it would be a very solid pick.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'd challenge it with my credit card company. There's no excuse for this.

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. anth67

3/26 was another great one, right up there with the next night. Definitive China > Rider for late 80s era, for me. And perfect first set. Except, not sure they'd release the "Stir It Up" attempt as an audio artifact. Even though its whole beauty was they were in such a great mood they didn't mind just going for it, then laughing afterwards. What other major band would've felt that cozy in front of 14,000 fans?

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I had meant to say that the Cold War interpretation was my friend’s interpretation, nothing ever said by Hunter or a band member to that effect during the 80s or any other time that I’m aware of.

17. TJtennispro

TJtennispro Forum Resident

I was at the Widespread Panic show when they covered Stir it Up in front of 11,000 fans completely sold out on 7-29-01. They released that as Archive 8.3 John Bell sang that tune and WSP had balls and released it. Best band in the world!

ARK, MacMan2007, trat and 3 others like this.
  18. anth67

Sounds cool! What I meant, though, is the Dead obviously hadn't rehearsed or planned their rendition, it was on the spot like you or me would do at a campfire (without knowing the words). They'd likely never even played it as a whole band. And it showed!, which to me is the beauty of it.

TJtennispro likes this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

More often than not, when Billy's on it's because Phil is on. Granted, there may be exceptions; I just can't find one.

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

It’s an amazing thing to see happen. Phish has done it a bit over their career. The 12/7/97 Psycho Killer cover being a well known example

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Truth.

I would add that both John Molo, and Joe Russo, demonstrated the power of the single drummer option with Phil on Bass.

22. anth67

I definitely thought so with Russo. I still smile over watching Phil turn back to him and speed the tempo up on the launch into St. Stephen. A 70-year-old Phil, mind you....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  23. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Can't believe they had the balls to publish those shipping deadlines. Feel bad for anybody ordering xmas gifts for family members unaware they won't get their **** till Valentine's Day.

24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Those dates just indicate when orders must be placed to ensure that one receives the "We've moved warehouses" email by xmas.

ARK, KCWhistle, bzfgt and 10 others like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Valentine's Day yes, but of what year? :doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.