Eastwood Film: The Ballad of Richard Jewell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the trailers look very good, i just have a real problem separating eastwood's politics from his art.

and john hamm is never bad, in anything he does.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

He’s not a millionaire. He’s dead.

BZync and bpmd1962 like this.
  3. Don’t know how I missed that movie. Looks good.

a customer and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. Clint also has directed a couple of really bad movies lately.

KAJ1971, GodShifter and smilin ed like this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

wow, clint can really churn it out...aug shootings on screen in dec

budwhite likes this.
  6. He learned from the master Don Siegel.

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Looks damn good. Thank you hollywood for casting a guy that isn't beautiful or sexy and actually has a southern accent (or is incredibly good at it) Have to wonder if any of that would fly without Clint's clout.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

never thought of that, I must be really naïve, I never think of motives or agendas with movies....but im pretty apolitical...(usually) but yeah...I guess I see it now

9. There's a lesson in there for journalists - one that not all seem to be learning. This goes for both political sides.

arley, BluesOvertookMe and unclefred like this.
  10. The true story has been out for a long time. It's just now getting the Hollywood treatment.

NaturalD likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Clint is 89. Woody Allen is 83. Kurosawa last directed at 83, as did Attenborough.

What other directors were still active well into their 80's?

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The actor who's playing Richard Jewell was outstanding in the TV series Kingdom!

13. Sidney Lumet made his last film at 83, just over three years before his death.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bergman and Antonioni did their last feature films around age 84.

SBurke likes this.
  15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Of course, you're right. That's what I meant. Unfortunately though some things have to get the Hollywood treatment to be aware.

16. You expect that from the media, but I expected much better from the FBI and the Justice Department.

unclefred likes this.
  17. The other issue in that is they (Hollywood) so often slant the approach toward a modern sensibility. This feels less like politics than like groveling to people to see connections to the story. It is a business, after all, but I think it makes for worse quality art.

Lonecat and AppleCorp3 like this.
  18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Ditto as well for the media. For profit, for fame, for the clicks, for whatever political agenda.

Lonecat likes this.
  19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Clint really can take a case up when it fits a certain political narrative.

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

So what is the political narrative or agenda here ? What is Eastwood's political narrative and agenda people have an issue with ? I'm having a bit of trouble here... People don't agree ? think it's BS or what ? I'm not understanding.

Lonecat, 905, John Moschella and 3 others like this.
  21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

If you don't see it then don't worry about it and see the film based on whether you think you'd enjoy it. :)

smilin ed and NaturalD like this.
  22. At the time he did file lawsuits against those involved in the media 8ncluding NBC and the Atlanta newspaper. Evidently, this all,occurred because of the FBI theory and because his former employer Piedmont college reached out to the FBI and claimed that Jewel was dangerous (he sued them for libel). Piedmont College President Raymond Cleere who spoke to the FBI (and maybe the press too I can’t recall) which further accelerated a case without merit against him. He was, of course, clear within months of the original report but the damage was done. Jewel died in 2007 of heart failure.

23. Eastwood is ultra conservative and tends to have a jaded take on the media in general.

24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

So people take issue with this ? I'm in my early 40's and would say the same of myself.

25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Have you seen the movie? Looks like you are already spinning this. I am a liberal and don’t trust the media.

Bradfinger, Lonecat, 905 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.