Knives Out (Thanksgiving 2019) Old School "Who done it" with a twist...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Simon A, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

I've done a search with the title and found nothing so I apologize in advance if a thread has been started already.

Very interesting gigantic cast which could offer something worthy if the screenplay is any good. I'm looking forward to finding out. Is it me or is Christopher Plummer looking younger?

"What is this? CSI KFC?" :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    willwin and Monosterio like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Could be fun. The recent "Murder on the Orient Express" wasn't very good, but it was a bigger hit than I thought, with $352m worldwide on a $55m budget!

Simon A likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Looking forward to this.

Simon A likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Just saw the trailer, looks good. Director is Rian Johnson (The Last Jedi, Looper).

Simon A likes this.
  5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

Final trailer

Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Looks like a good one,I wanna check it out.

Simon A likes this.
  7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It looks fun, a definite yes for me.

Simon A likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw the trailer and I'm really looking forward to this as well.

Simon A likes this.
  9. Monosterio

The movie has a 97% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Let’s just hope more people like it than The Last Jedi (91% critics, 44% audience). ;)

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just got back from this. Highly enjoyable (and I disliked that recent Orient Express remake). Audience loved it. Some 20-something behind me stated it was the best film he’d ever seen. Clearly, it’s not THAT good, but audience buzz was hugely favorable. This one could keep packing audiences in thru the Holidaze and I wouldn’t be at all surprised. Cleverly constructed with plenty of humor, great set, etc.

After months of being underwhelmed at the theaters, I’ve seen Irishman, Parasite and this over three consecutive days.
    :righton:

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Looks very good.

I'll be going sometime Thanksgiving weekend.

12. Chris DeVoe

My wife follows a bunch of film reviewers on Twitter, and says that there is a group of people who hated The Last Jedi and have decided to "punish" Ryan Johnson by "spoiling" Knives Out for as many people as possible.

13. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

We have a poster over on the "hits and bombs of 2019" wishing for KO to bomb, presumably for just that reason :shake:

Looks like a fun holiday romp, just the kind of film that the whole family can agree to go see, based on the cast (above-the-title stars from The Sound Of Music through James Bond through 13 Reasons Why).

14. Chris DeVoe

As if I needed another reason to avoid that thread. As I've said before, I don't own a movie studio or a theater chain, thus have no reason at all to care about how any film does at the box office. My only level of concern is that, if films I enjoy don't make money at the theater, studios are less likely to make more of the type of films I enjoy.
    Vickie would agree with that. She actually paid $35 for the Chicago International Film Festival's "Gala Screening" so she could see it earlier than almost everyone just so she couldn't be spoiled. Sadly, Ryan Johnson and Michael Shannon, who were there, were absolutely mobbed and she couldn't get close to them (she would have liked to have a selfie with either.)

15. Monosterio

Am I the only one here who thinks director Rian Johnson is batting two for two going into Knives Out? :D (I haven’t seen his first film, Brick.)

16. Chris DeVoe

I can recommend it. It's a "high school noir" if that makes any sense. I haven't re-watched it since I saw it in the theater, but it was one of those films where I made a mental note to pay attention to this director (even if I do screw up the spelling of his name.

Jarleboy, Simon A and Monosterio like this.
  17. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I most likely will not get to see this until it comes to my local Redbox, but it looks good. Shame on those crybabies who want to spoil the movie because they didn't like what the director did to their beloved Star Wars. I'm really going to have to avoid spoilers for the next few months.

18. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

We may see this. NPR gave it a stellar review.
    I miss seeing these whodunits.

19. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

don Johnson busy these days, love to see that.

chad

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

[​IMG]

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Im in but I hate even knowing theres a twist....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Same here but I am reliably informed that it is just plain twisty, that if you think it's going to go one way it'll go a different one. So don't worry too much that anybody is going to spoil something for you.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved this film!

I thought I knew where it was going several times, but it always threw me a curveball.

I love seeing Daniel Craig playing someone other than James Bond - he is great! I also love that some very famous stars are okay with having themselves filmed as unattractively as they are filmed in this movie. LOL

Jarleboy, Chris DeVoe and Simon A like this.
  24. Monosterio

I just saw it and had a good time. It wasn’t as great as I expected but it held my attention all the way through, and the actors are a lot of fun.

Only two other things to say: First, it is possible to guess who the guilty party is, but far less so to figure out how the whole thing works. However, even if you do guess the killer, you think the movie is just tricking you.

And second, I want to thank the Hoffman forums for seemingly being the one place in the world where one can escape from politics. :winkgrin:

Jarleboy and Simon A like this.
  25. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Just seen it with my wife - great fun and a good ensemble cast. We love Michael Shannon.
    Even Daniel Craig was good !

Simon A likes this.