Chuck Cunningham Syndrome

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Not to mention the two other cast members who were replaced from the Pilot. Drake Sather also played the lawyer at first and he then inexplicably turned into Norm MacDonald.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

#2 on "The Prisoner". There was a new one every episode!

3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

John Amos played the Dad on Good Times. I was pissed and sad cuz I thought John actually died, until I saw him in Beastmaster with Da Gubernator.

Honey Bunches of Sadness and 905 like this.
  4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I kind of remember Chuck being an obnoxious character. Richie probably poisoned him. Howard and Marion found this out and knew that in order to protect the family's good name, they had to reluctantly request Fonzie's assistance to access his underworld connections to help them dispose of Chuck's corpse and destroy his birth and school records.

And the rest, as they say, is television history.

5. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

And the sister was played by Amy Adams!

6. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

“The Many Lives of Dobie Gillis” had several. As mentioned Dobie had an older brother Davey who was in college and occasionally home on breaks to give advice to his high school brother on women. After a few episodes they decided Davey was superfluous and Dobie was referred to as an only child.
    The first season Dobie’s rival at school was a rich jock Milton Armitrsge III, played by Warren Beatty. After a few episodes Beatty left to appear on Broadway. Dobie’s target of affection Thalia Meminger (Tuesday Weld) left after one year although she did appear in two episodes later on.
    Dobie’s best friend Maynard G Krebs was played by Bob Denver. Several episodes in season one Denver got a draft notice. So on the show they wrote this in and introduced Michael J Pollard as Maynard’s cousin Jerome Krebs. Denver failed his army physical (neck injury) so Denver returned to the show as an Army hardship discharge...the Army had the hardship. Pollard was let go after a couple episodes but got paid for a total of 30.
    In season four they decided the 28 year old Dwayne Hickman was too old for teenage plots ( he was now a college student). So they brought in a cousin Duncan (Bobby Diamond) to play a teenager and get advice from Dobie. Like the first season with Davey this didn’t work and Duncan disappeared after 7 episodes

kt66brooklyn and Grand_Ennui like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Christie Plunkett's two children are buried in a secret grave in the back yard.
    WHY DID THEY WRITE THEM OUT OF THE SHOW??
    [​IMG]

Atmospheric and uzn007 like this.
  8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Doris...?

OMG Doris nooooooooo....

The Doris Day Show - Wikipedia

Season 1 (1968–1969)
    Day portrays Doris Martin, a widowed mother of young sons Billy and Toby (Philip Brown and Todd Starke). When the series premieres, she has brought her boys home to her father's rural ranch in Cotina in Mill Valley, north of San Francisco, California, after living in New York City for most of her adult life.​

---

Seasons 4–5 (1971–1973)
    The fourth season sees a radical change in the series. Day's character suddenly becomes a swinging single career woman who goes by Miss instead of Mrs. The entire cast from previous seasons, other than Day herself, and occasionally the Palluccis, are gone; even Doris Martin's two sons are no longer in the cast, with no explanation given, and are never referred to again.​

Doris, how could you???

[​IMG]

9. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Did Bonanza essentially end or was just about ended when Blocker died? There are so many seasons of that and I never see those very late ones re-run.

As far as John Ritter goes, 8 Simple Rules continued for about 1 or 2 seasons after he died. They often referenced him and his death in the show. They had an entire story arc of writing his real death into the show and the funeral and everything. The mom was now a widow... they did the 'if only dad was here' in a bunch of episodes. The cast even did a few minutes of a tribute to him at the end of an episode saying how sudden his death was and how upset they were and how he was a great loss for the show, them personally and the entertainment world.

His was no Chuck Cunningham syndrome..

Now... as far as Chrissy Snow on Three's Company... once they got rid of Sommers because of her raise demands... I don't know if they ever reference her again. Even though Cindy is supposed to be her cousin, I don't think they ever reference her past that first episode where they meet Cindy.

10. JozefK

Bonanza lasted a half season after Blocker's death.

After Pernell Roberts left the series Adam was mentioned a few times in the first part of the 1965-6 season. However after that TTBOMK he was only mentioned once: in the episode (1968?) where the Cartwrights are placed in a prison camp run by Alfred Ryder, along with fellow prisoner Richard Mulligan. Hoss mentions Adam when he tells of how they were too slow to catch Joe as children.

In a later episode Ben takes Jamie to a tree where he has carved the names of his sons: Hoss, Joe, and Jamie. No mention of Adam.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  11. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Um... excuse my ignorance... I wasn't around when Bonanza originally aired, only catching it in reruns... But... Jamie? A fourth son? I had no idea there was another Cartwright kid. Like I said.. those later episodes never seem to get re-run..

I love Bonanza, but everytime I catch an episode, it seems like its from the same pool of about 30-40 episodes I've seen. Its like they only rerun some of them and those are in heavy rotation. I rarely turn it on and say... Oh look.. I've NEVER seen this one.

edit... I see on Wikipedia that Ben adopts this kid in later seasons. Still.. leaving Adam out of the carving on the tree.. . Shame.. Trapper John shouldn't have to put up with that

kt66brooklyn and milankey like this.
  12. EricBanks

EricBanks Well-Known Member

I watched last week's The Connors and they talked about the Roseanne character a lot! They actually did a lot more than just talk about her... :eek:
    (No, she wasn't in that episode.)

kt66brooklyn and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

After Hoss died, they did an episode where Joe was in trouble and Ben was worried about him. They end up showing a picture of Hoss and Joe. Like there was a possibility that he could lose both of them. No picture of Adam.

14. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

M*A*S*H
    Timothy Brown: Capt. Oliver Harmon 'Spearchucker' Jones (???)

[​IMG]

petercl, Atmospheric, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Fred Flintstone's cat

kt66brooklyn and pig bodine like this.
  16. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

17. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Carrie had a half-sister that appeared in 5 episodes and then disappeared. From King of Queens wiki:

[​IMG]
    Sara Spooner
    is
    Carrie
    's younger half-sister who was constructed as an irresponsible aspiring actress. Played by actress/singer Lisa Rieffel, the character appeared in only 5 episodes (episodes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6) and then disappeared without any explanation. She was only mentioned one other time (although not by name) in episode Doug as an excuse to his boss to get out of performing a roast. After the show became more popular, Kevin James was asked to explain what happened to Sara during an interview. According to James, the producers could not think of any storylines to develop Rieffel's character, so she was discontinued. During the pilot she was on camera for roughly half the episode. However in the other episodes where she was included, her character did not have much to say or do. Subsequent dialogue suggests that Sara Spooner never existed, and that Carrie is an only child. This is an example of "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome" (see Happy Days).

bekayne and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

umm no she wasn't amy adams had a guest role as some high school stuck up girl. the sister was a lot younger than donna and played by Amanda Fuller

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

[​IMG]
    John Orchard as Ugly John. The actor turned up as a different character, an Australian MP called Muldoon, in a later series:

[​IMG]

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Didn't Daniel Boone have a daughter who vanished by the time the show went color?

kt66brooklyn and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. JozefK

Yes, Veronica Cartwright (she was in one color season). VC claims she was fired b/c actress Patricia Blair did not want to be seen as the mother of a grown daughter.

Actor Robert Logan was a semi-regular on the show and being established as a romantic possibility for VC. Once she left, he disappeared as well.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Would they have to pay Pernell Roberts to use his image ?

wayne66 likes this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Right? They couldn't even bother to spin them off like everyone else on the show. How degrading!

24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I just figured Bub reconciled with Ethel.

indigovic likes this.
  25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

He ran off with the Brady dog Tiger to re-run heaven.

fr in sc and kt66brooklyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.