Eastwood Film: The Ballad of Richard Jewell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nope. I’m not spinning anything. He asked why many have a problem with Eastwood and I mentioned why. I think you’re over reacting a bit. I didn’t say anything about this film.

SRC and NaturalD like this.
  2. I don’t know what to tell you. I could care less about Clint’s personal beliefs but Many have taken issue with his political views and how they inform his films especially lately.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Eastwood is not a good director. He’s flat bad, in fact. Name a movie he’s directed and I’ll give you multiple examples of why it’s bad.

NaturalD likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love Clint! I love his movies, and I always enjoy my time spent with his great efforts in directing and acting...He is an American treasure....

FVDnz, F1nut, ransmiller and 4 others like this.
  5. Michael

LOL...

6. Michael

what were they? IIRC, years back there was a movie about this subject or am I dreaming?

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

????

I think that's bizarre. He's got quite a few movies, and many excellent ones. Opinions are personal of course, and I don't want to derail the thread arguing about his other movies. I'll just say I completely disagree. He's done some excellent work as a director, imo.

FVDnz, F1nut, Lonecat and 11 others like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Fine, we’ll disagree.

Happy Thanksgiving.

9. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I did over react and I apologize.

Bradfinger and Greg Gee like this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

play misty for me

Karnak likes this.
  11. what I notice the most in that regard- as a prevailing attitude in contemporary American society, not just the news media- is this notion that whoever arrives at a conclusion first is the smartest. The principle of withholding judgement isn't so much disdained as it is ignored entirely. As if it's out of the realm of possibility for anyone to forbear from demonstrating one's superior skill at logical deduction as based on, like, two or three data points. Related to an event they just found out about five minutes ago, from (at minimum) a fourth-hand remove.

How much of this has to do with the inauguration of "24-hour news networks"- that mass media institution enabled by cable technology, and only in full-blown existence since around 1991? A lot, in my opinion. Whether you're watching Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, whoever, what's on the menu most often amounts to about two factoids every 24 hours, and the rest is speculation. To me, the effect typically resembles a guided meditation designed to hypnotize viewers into thinking that boiling water is a hearty stew, varying in flavor depending on whichever team of celebrity chefs is best able to cook up a recipe based on the favorite political tastes of their audience. A recipe consisting mostly of phantasmal ingredients.

(This situation is not to be confused with that other mass media institution that began at roughly the same time- C-Span. That cable channel that's so widely mocked by everyone from late-night TV hosts to Meet The Press panelists as that uncool show nobody watches, even though telecasts of events like Congressional hearings and meetings of the American Petroleum Institute are unedited real-time transmissions of primary source communications by people who wield actual power over American citizens with their decisions, and hence amount to the most authentic and objective news reportage there is, on some of the most important events of our time.)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Stormrider77, FVDnz, Lonecat and 6 others like this.
  12. the pope ondine

I like my news 30 mins a day.....sports and weather at the end. and maybe a cute story about a talking cat.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  13. no worries.

Bradfinger likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

actually maybe outlaw josey wales too...a little long maybe

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wish he’d direct one more western.

enro99 and budwhite like this.
  16. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

Invictus

17. I've like a number of his films including
    "Bird", "High Plains Drifter", "The Outlaw Josey Wales", "Joe Kidd", "The Unforgiven", "Mystic River", "Letters From Iwo Jima", "The Eiger Sanction" and "Play Misty For Me".

His style doesn't have much in the way style for a lot of his work (and what's there he learned from Don Siegel as a director) but it works for the film.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Okay, okay! I give up. He has done some good movies. I'll cede that fact. In fact, I was thinking about Mystic River last night and remembered it was quite good.

I guess when it comes down to it, there are certain elements of his movies (certain plot devices or reliance on certain shots, cinematography choices etc) that I don't particularly care for. But, in fairness, every director has their own style and certain tropes or themes they rely on (Scorsese, Spielberg, etc). So, yeah, he's done some good movies, but there certainly a few that I find quite bad. My original statement, however, was way over the top.

19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I read about the Willingham case and watched a 60-minute PBS documentary on it. His death makes me sick. The powers-that-be could have granted a stay of execution, but didn't a damn.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I thought this might be a movie based on media over reaction, not from any political POV. News/Media was a bit different in the 90s than its polarization today. Am I wrong?

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Jewell was the primary suspect because that exact scenario of someone creating a bomb to discover and be hailed as a hero had previously happened at an American Olympics:

From the Los Angeles Times Oct. 5, 1985

A Los Angeles police officer who attempted to impress his superiors by planting and then “discovering” a bomb-like device on a 1984 Turkish Olympic team bus was placed on probation for five years and fined $10,000 Friday.

Jimmy Wade Pearson, 41, a nine-year police veteran who resigned after the incident, had pleaded guilty to one count of possession of an explosive.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Gerald Levie also ordered Pearson to serve 1,500 hours of community service, to refrain from owning weapons and to undergo psychological counseling.

Dan C, Comet01 and No Static like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

The best argument against the death penalty isn't the moral one, but a practical one - it's impossible to pardon a dead man.

arley, Panama Hotel, Greg Gee and 3 others like this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

ULTRA conservative? :rolleyes:

24. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

You don't have to be a conservative to, have serious doubts about the veracity of our current media.
    You only have to be (barely) conscious.

25. Chris DeVoe

I believe he's saying that Eastwood was turned into a conservative by the CIA's MKUltra program.

Panama Hotel and Dudley Morris like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.