When You See Old Things In Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the milkman! those glass milk containers in the little wire case, todays plastic/paper cartons....so unclassy. and no one to deliver it

carrick doone, Suncola and Tuco like this.
  2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Like this one?

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and carrick doone like this.
  3. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

We had a yellow one in our kitchen in the 1960s, and a black rotary desk phone in my parents bedroom. When we moved in 1969, we had the same phones in the same rooms except they were green and white, respectively.

4. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

i am 53, and i didn't know that there was any other way than the upper left.

Tuco likes this.
  5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I agree, almost every classic movie not only had smoking scenes in it but featured the smoking scenes. I guess that film makes thought that it was something that the public in general could identify with in a more universal way.

People could identify with other things, like eating, but what if the movie did not have any dining scenes in it?

Smoking was so universal, that you could have smoking scenes in almost every genera of movie.

I never saw any of those duiring my lifetime. They actually look like a good idea.

In the old days, when you bought gas, the gas station attendant not only pumped you gas, he coleaned you windshield, checked your tire pressure and checked you oil, if you were low on oil and needed a quart, he would add the quart of oil for you.

With everything today being self service, it is so easy to overlook things like tire pressure or the oil level.

I just added air to one of my tires two days ago and bought two quarts of oil just the other day.

I like the idea of having an oil dispenser type thing at a self service gas station. If they were there, I know that I would check my oil while pumping gas and add oil when I needed it. Same with an air dispenser.

Good hats like good shoes were never cheap. That is why the mark of a gentleman was to wear a nice hat and have polished shoes everywhere he went.

That is why I just cringe at the thought of getting into a commercial airline flight these days. I just can't see flying like I was having a ride on a bad bus.

Very true. People who weren't around before the break up of the phone company monopoly won't remember, that if you added a second phone outlet to your home, that outlet was owned (and maintained) by the phone company and you paid a monthly service charge to the phone company for every outlet you had installed in your home.

What's more, the only phones that you were allowed to plug into the outlet were phones that were the property of the bell system. You never actually owned any phone in your home.

Besides the monthly outlet charges, if you owned a decorator type phone, you paid a monthly premium charge for it also.

carrick doone, altaeria and Tuco like this.
  7. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

8. WLL

Later on in AAE, Celeste, wearing the same coat (I suppose it is some time later...The film starts from Eve mink k olike...(something). a star award, then entirely goes ointo flashback showing us how she went from fangirl to there, acquiring her own fangirl-stalker by the end!) compares her coat to... Eve's? Marilyn Monroe's?...fur, saying " Your sable makes my mink look like..." (something).

9. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

[​IMG]

10. WLL

...Ad fat as changed go, consider the attitude towards the theater expressed in all About Eve.
    Perhaps it a little stuffy/pompous, but Eve and the character played by George Sander express attitudes toward the theater reflecting when theater was more a mainstream entertainment form than it is now! More later.

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Was all the cigarette smoking also a case of product placement? So successful the pushers didn't have to advertise as much :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.