David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

On a different note; we are in the rare position of not having the next release announced yet.

MGW likes this.
  2. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

Well, it's available in 2009 edition and I like it more than this remix.

3. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That's not much of a recommendation!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  4. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Not true. SDE doesn’t mention an upcoming series based on years or otherwise and neither has Bowie.com. Only Pafford’s blog has (based on an unnamed source). So when you say it’s been made clear, not yet it hasn’t.

5. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

What you are suggesting lies now!?!
    Go read the rest of this thread. I am not going to get into a fight with you about whether it is true that it has or has not been said, especially when we all know that there is a massive gap between what they say and what they do
    Go troll somewhere else, any further messages by you will be ignored.

6. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

You said it was clear that the series would be based on years so I pointed out that that’s not been confirmed anywhere yet. Just because I point out that something’s not true doesn’t mean I’m accusing you of lying or castigating you. Please don’t be so touchy.

Halloween_Jack and Rob Byrne like this.
  7. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Reading Tony Visconti's interview in Uncut magazine, he talks about an alternate take of Black Country Rock, but he doesn't say it still exists.
    "He originally did the entire song as Marc Bolan and the playback was so funny, it was the perfect impression, but he didn't want to use it."
    If they do continue this as a series perhaps more alternate takes exist than we expect.
    He also (tantalisingly) says about the Conversation Piece demos: "I'm sure we are hearing them as David gave permission. He left a lot of instructions about what could happen after he died." which implies it is not Visconti who has the instructions. So who does? Parlophone's chief exec?

BTW I found a nice discography/biography from 2010 of Tim Renwick. If anyone wants to know what he did after this album here it is.
    The Musicians' Olympus: Tim Renwick (guitar)

8. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

On DB Official they've created a place for Space Oddity silver and gold vinyl owners to pinpoint their location on a world map

On top of the potential eBay value there's the added bonus of winning .... a tote bag

[​IMG]

David Bowie | Space Oddity at 50

jimhb, Gavaxeman and gomen ne like this.
  9. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I
    I really think this is all a lot of pish. It's not because I have got a black vinyl copy, but I think this is just encouraging wide boys on Discogs & EBay. I just bought a signed Iggy Pop book from Rough Trade for much less than those looters are hoping to get for these grey vinyl records. I don't understand how Parlophone can't see how bad this is. People are just returning records coz they're black. Not only is it encouraging greed, it's vinyl racism. :mad:

10. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

If such instructions really do exist I’d imagine they’re in the hands of Bill Zysblat, Bowie’s business manager.

But I can’t help feeling that the sudden switch from the big multi-album box sets to this tightly-focused release is not something that any artist would have set out as the way for their legacy to be handled.

11. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I wasn't being "touchy", you were still being rude. And still it is clear that Parlaphone intend(ed) that there will/would be further year-based releases.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  12. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

What would be 2019 Christmas Bowie release in your opinion (we got Glastonbury last year) ?

13. footprintsinthesand

No idea, I'd vote for the 1997 Phoenix Festival TAO Jones Index set

Bink and vlad676 like this.
  14. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

I have no complaints this year, I'm surprised by so many fan-focused releases

gomen ne, Vaughan and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  15. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Are many of you familiar with the 2016 A rare tracks odyssey bootleg cd which seems to my ear to have different demos versions of some of the songs appearing on the recent releases. They are lower quality copies but sound like different takes. Silver treetop, Aprils tooth, love song, life is circus, lover to the dawn.

16. nick jones

do you have a picture of this cd?

17. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I noticed that in the charts (At number 71) This new version of Space Oddity is listed as a reissue! Short sighted or what!? Should be listed as 2019 mix

18. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Can't seem to paste an image in here but it can be easily found via google images if you search 2016 a rare tracks odyssey. Can be purchased from the music stack link for £15 and is well worth it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  19. Wilco

Wilco Forum Resident

As some others have already mentioned, the 2019 mix of the album is really very good. This is the first remix of any of Bowie’s albums that I actually like. This album has never done much for me and the new mix has allowed me to appreciate the album, so well done Tony Visconti!

20. nick jones

i don't believe in different takes, just the quality difference between releases.This bootleg looks like The Forgotten Songs of DRJ material

21. RrobynneUK

RrobynneUK Well-Known Member

Great book and great reissue, hopefully the plan is a '90s box next year and then another of these covering Man Who Sold The World through to Hunky Dory in 2021 to tie in with the latter's 50th. Only caveat for me is my eBay copy from the link posted earlier in the thread came with two great big dents in the outer box and book spine that rather ruin the intended pristine minimalism of the design. All playable media and internal pages in perfect condition but I'll take a guess that the reason they're offering 20% off and there's only a handful of copies on the listing is because they're transit-damaged copies.

22. footprintsinthesand

Bowie TV in the air again

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  23. Aaa3

Aaa3 Active Member

I love this box set, was surprised to find that an occasional dreaming sounds even more gorgeous in the new mix!!@

24. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

If this past year's reissues are any indication, probably a 7" reissue of "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy" on festive red and green vinyl, complete with a commemorative tote bag brandishing a scan of a black velvet painting of Bing Crosby. :D

vlad676 and MGW like this.
  25. nick jones

something from 1999 period

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.