Three (Now Eight) Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

I'm catching up on some MoFi sacd buying. Am I correct that MoFi put out only 6 Capitol Sinatra SACDs, Songs for Swingin Lovers, Swingin Affair, Swingin Session, Where are You, No one Cares, Point of No Return? Some other ones were announced but never came out?

2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

2105 Frank Sinatra In the Wee Small Hours (announced; didn't come out)
    2106 Frank Sinatra Songs for Swingin’ Lovers! mono hybrid
    2107 Frank Sinatra A Swingin’ Affair! mono hybrid
    2108 Frank Sinatra Come Fly With Me (announced; didn't come out)
    2109 Frank Sinatra Where Are You? mono hybrid
    2110 Frank Sinatra Sinatra’s Swingin’ Session!!! stereo hybrid
    2111 Frank Sinatra No One Cares stereo hybrid
    2112 Frank Sinatra Point of No Return stereo hybrid

3. George P

George P Notable Member

There's two more Mofi Sinatra titles, but they are Gold CDs - Sings For Only The Lonely and Nice And Easy.

4. Pretty much all of the MFSL Sinatras are essential.

MarkusGermany, George P and CBackley like this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Index to New MFSL Sinatra Issues on CD, SACD, and Vinyl

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Ugh, I really, really wish they had released In the Wee Small Hours and Come Fly with Me instead of Swingin' Session and Point of No Return, those two would've been much more welcome, especially since the latter two were done from the inferior (IMHO) stereo mixes.

Pants Party likes this.
  7. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

How does the sound quality on this compare to the 1998 UK Box CD version of In The Wee Small Hours?

8. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Don't have it for comparison, sorry to say.

9. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

I've been able to recently snap up several of these Sinatra SACDs at $19.99 from Music Direct (Swingin' Session; No One Cares; and Point of No Return) + free shipping! Also finally got A Swingin' Affair at the regular price, $29.99. Had Songs for Swingin' Lovers for awhile. A shame there has been no MoFi sacd of Come Dance With Me and Come Fly With Me. I love the upbeat more brassy swingin' Sinatra albums. Been listening to Swingin Session last few days, both Franks voice and that brass just pop out of the speakers. Love the punchy sound of that album, and it sounds fuller with more depth in stereo imo.

10. DigitalL.A.

DigitalL.A. Forum Resident

If I already have The Capitol Years boxed set, would I get significantly better sound with the Mobile Fidelity CDs and SACDs? I have looked at the excellent Capitol Scorecard, but I am not sure whether I have what it calls "1998 UK Box Set CDs," as some of the boxes in that column mention bonus tracks, but I don't think my CDs from The Capitol Years have bonus tracks. "Songs for Young Lovers," for example, has only twelve tracks. Thanks for any help.

11. Bob F

Yes, you would get significantly better sound with the most recent MoFi releases. In particular, some titles (e.g. Songs for Swingin’ Lovers!) use the correct original master tapes, and some (e.g. Where Are You?) use the mono instead of stereo masters.

If you have the big 21-CD box set, that is what is referred to in the scorecard. Wrt Songs for Young Lovers, the original (10-inch) album had only eight tracks. The disc in the UK box set is a later (12-inch) reissue with, yes, four bonus tracks. That one was not reissued by MFSL, but there was an excellent British CD, with Swing Easy!, on the MFP (EMI) label.

So, the box set has good sound overall, but not the “best” in all cases.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

There is no set from Capitol that I would say screams out "This is the one to get!" Several options have very good sound on some of the material; some are more complete than others; no set nails it across the board.

13. DigitalL.A.

DigitalL.A. Forum Resident

Thank you. That is very helpful.

Bob F likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

I highly recommend ALL Sinatra titles on MFSL. After buying them all earlier this year, the only thing I regret is that there isn't more of them.

15. kennyluc1 likes this.
  16. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Sorry to bump and old thread but what happened to these releases? Were the remaining titles cancelled due to the Sinatra 100 titles?

17. Bob F

No one knows for sure (officially), but it seems that the hookup with Universal Music by Frank Sinatra Enterprises may have had sonething to do with the cancellations:

Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

18. Dougthesnail

Is it still possible to get the mofi's on vinyl? Discogs for the earlier releases are insane

19. Bob F

Revisiting my post #740 of five years ago, it appears that only these last two are still available for purchase from Music Direct:

MFSL 1-408 —> No One Cares
    MFSL 1-409 —> Point of No Return

JediJoker and Simon A like this.
  20. Dougthesnail

Thanks Bob! I saw those the other day. Such a shame I was a teenager and not collecting Vinyl when they started releasing these.

Bob F likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.