Mars Hotel 45 RPM

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Experiencereunited, Nov 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone have a listen to this yet?

2. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Shipped already?

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That was my question as well - is this even released yet?

Edit: Yes it is! Music Direct shows in stock. I ordered it just now. It was Blues For Allah that I was thinking of, that one is not released yet.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. Experiencereunited

someone in another thread posted they got a message it had shipped.

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I will have my copy tomorrow, Friday - hope to listen ASAP.

6. Paul Chang

Please tell us how it sounds. Happy Black Friday!

7. MikeT

Just listened to the Mofi 2x45rpm LP. I think the jury is still out for me. Yes, it sounds good - nice and dynamic, but my first impression is that is wasn't the revelation I was hoping for. I think I may have to compare this new version to the original 33rpm MFSL vinyl, the MFSL silver CD, and a multitude of other versions I have of both the vinyl and CD.

Don't get me wrong it sounds nice, really well balanced and is very dynamic. It is smooth sounding and easy to listen to loud.

Joti Cover and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Paul Chang

So what's missing in this pressing? Look forward to your comparison report.

9. MikeT

Not sure I understand what you mean what was missing? It sounded good, but I guess I was expecting a mind-blowing experience with a 45rpm LP. I won't be doing a comparison for some time, but after listening a second time at a louder volume, I was a bit more impressed with the new MFSL. I think it opens up more when played at a higher volume.

10. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Well, there you go, personally the Grateful Dead always sound better when played at an elevated volume. :agree:

11. Paul Chang

I meant “what was to make it mind-blowing as you expected?”

12. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

"Unbroken Chain" on the new 45 MOFI :drool:

john lennonist and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Experiencereunited

I just bought this from my local brick and mortar record store. Surprised they had a copy and after considering shipping and ordering direct from mofi the price was the same. I impulse bought it (well not really as I had been eyeing this one for a while but if it hadnt of been sitting in front of my face I probably wouldnt have it today.)

I listened last night but will note I listened on my new Denon Stylus with only about 5 hours of break in before I put this on. Even with the little break in of the new stylus I found this to sound excellent particularly the high end detail. I felt like I was hearing things I had t beard before in China Doll, Unbroken Chain and Ship of Fools. The other songs were great too. I also have an original pressing which I will do a shootout hopefully in the near future. Overall a vey satisfying listen and happy to have this copy.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  14. Experiencereunited

I managed to do a shoot out last night at least for side 1 (and first 2 sides of the 45 RPM.)

Man is the original pressing silky smooth and great in the midrange and bass. The 45 RPM seems to have a bit more space open up and there is no doubt you’ll hear more finer and intricate details at the high end on the 45 RPM. Unfortunately this additional high end detail comes at the expense of the mid range And especially at the expense of the bass. I dont like that the bass is less apparent and less strong on the 45 RPM. I consider the 45 RPM a great alternate that shows some additional detail but I still prefer the original pressing overall.

15. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

For the 33 are you referring to the original MFSL release or the original Grateful Dead Records release?

16. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

I’d like to hear the Unbroken, because that thing’s got dmt gnomes making music in the background....gotta be awesome!

stingraex2000 and zephyr25 like this.
  17. Experiencereunited

Original grateful Dead Records pressing

Hershiser and funknik like this.
  18. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

In honor of this thread, I am spinning my older MOFI 33 copy and it sounds GREAT. Don't have anything else to compare this to. I'll be very interested if an original or the 45rpm is worth getting if I already have this.

19. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I was just checking out this thread which evolved into briefly discussing the Friday Music release

Grateful Dead MFSL Mars Hotel Release Back On?

I can concur that side 2 of that Friday Music version didn’t sound so great, wonder if maybe that side came from a non-master tape source? Maybe side 1 of this latest MFSL is actually from the original master then? Just hazarding a guess . I ended up keeping my US 1st press of Mars Hotel and selling off my 1st MFSL and Friday Music copies. The original just had a better midrange and the instruments sounded more realistic. So I’m hesitating to pick up this newer MFSL but curious to hear more reviews , it’s one of my favorite Dead studio albums.

20. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

A neighbor just picked up the new 2LP edition so I borrowed it to compare to my old MFSL from the 80s. I didn’t know what to expect but I played the original MFSL just to refamiliarize myself with the album. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded.

Moving to the 2LP (and going back and forth to A/B test some parts of songs) I found that the 2LP 45 RPM version sounded deeper, wider, and more detailed...but not by all that much. If my original scored a 94/100 on sound quality, this one got a 96/100 if that makes sense...

great pickup if you don’t have a copy, maybe not essential if you already have an OG or old MFSL

japhyman likes this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Mars Hotel 45rpm? It's a way to listen to the whole album in only about 25 minutes if you're running short on time. As long as you don't mind Jerry sounding like one of the Chipmunks.

RyeB likes this.
  22. Experiencereunited

If joking not really seeing the humor.

If serious then read this thread

"WHY 45 RPM?" Great 45 RPM 12" LP explanation by Kevin Gray!

23. Pandrew79

Pandrew79 Swimming.

I did a shoutout between the following:

1) 2019 MFSL 45 RPM vinyl
    2) Original 1974 Rounder press
    3) 1985 MFSL cd

I was surprised by my preference: the 1985 MFSL cd. On that mastering, the vocals have an EQ filter that knocks off the treble (it could be an EQ on the audio as a whole) which makes the recording have more of a "live" sound. This mastering sounds a lot more like their concert recordings.

The 45 RPM has impressive soundstage and great bass. It's a true audiophile mastering -- my only complaint is that the vocals are too bright, they take center stage. Had their been an EQ filter on the vocals like the MFSL cd, this might have been my first choice.

The 1974 Rounder press is great, I prefer it to the 2019 MFSL, the vocals aren't as bright here. However, it doesn't have the warmth and intimacy as the 1985 MFSL.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The above makes me a happy camper as I have the Original Grateful Dead Records (Promo) pressing and the MFSL Silver CD, both of which I've always thought sounded great.

The Dead's most underrated studio album, IMO, tied for second for me among their studio albums.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  25. Experiencereunited

All three are great. Its a great album. The MSFL silver CD is what I cut my teeth on and really got me loving the album. I no longer have the MSFL but I have the other 2 LPs from ur shootout and the 2013 Rhino CD. The Rhino is also great!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.