Queens of the Stone Age - Vinyl Reissues Coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xfilian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

My original MK/HL plays fine both audibly and visually.
    I don't have a copy of the latest reissue to compare sound-wise.

FrixFrixFrix likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's the original so it's always going to be "the one". It sounds so good that I don't feel the need to invest in another version. :righton:

3. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

That's what I assumed but then people started talking about the original UK cut being better :p

I've always been happy with it though, the only thing that might tempt me is a well mastered double LP version.

4. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Sounds like the new Rated R is great! Thanks. Still looking for opinions on the new Songs For The Deaf. Is it more dynamic than the CD? Hard to turn up the volume on the CD.

5. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Call me crazy but I dont believe that the OG copy of Songs is with great dynamics. If it really is, this must of have been a mistake by someone in 2002 :)

6. Rockin' Robby

I believe you are correct. This was a mistake in 2002, a very common one.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Anyone else still waiting for their VMP SOTD copy?

my status is ‘Unfulfilled/ Paid’
    (Same with my Fiona Apple ‘Tidal’ reissue :( )

I messaged support, and they replied saying there’s a hold up with these issues?

8. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I’m still waiting as well. I ordered mine on 11/14. I contacted them and they got back to me today. Yes, on thanksgiving morning. They said:
    “The reason for the delay is because of a platform migration we completed last week. The migration included a new system for managing inventory and processing orders. It's taken a little longer than anticipated to get ramped up on the new system. Our warehouse is working over time this week and we hope to ship this order before the end of the month. We're prioritizing oldest orders first and once your order has shipped, you'll get an email with tracking information.”

blind_melon1 likes this.
  9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Thanks heaps mate, that’s more information than I got from them in their reply last week

dconsmack likes this.
  10. Vidar Nilsson

Vidar Nilsson Well-Known Member

I have the original red US Songs, the original UK R rays cut and the OG Era Vulgaris.

I have to say that Songs sound a lot better than the CD, and apparently, the UK OG according to this thread.
    It has a lot more dynamics and the drums really cut through the mix in a different way. Especially on songs like "First It Giveth" where it's really dense in the verses and then opens up completely in the choruses. You can really hear everything that's going on in the mix. I can say that I love this pressing and wouldn't give it up for anything.

For the OG R, I have owned both the MK pressing and the newer HL pressing. The RAYS cut blows them both out of the water sound wise. I don't think that this recording can sound much better than that one. It's still pretty squashed but not in the same way as the other pressings. It's like they removed the limiter on the master. You can hear the drums more clearly. It "opened up" a bit more." I haven't heard the reissue yet but I have ordered it and will report to you when I get to listen to it. If it sounds better than the RAYS cut, well, that's a miracle beacuse then they must have remastered it from scratch.

The Era Vulgaris OG, IMO, sounds better than the CD. It's a bit distorted, but not in a bad way if you know what I mean. I think it really fits the album's sound. It sounds warmer and more "analog" that the CD and the newer pressing (the one with "LP" in the runout.) It also sounds a lot fuller and "bassier" than the CD. I would recommend it but I understand the people that don't like it. It's not really audiophile, but it's dirty, in a way that suits the album.

Anyway there's my two cents.

11. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Just to avoid a misunderstanding on my side: you are describing the sound of your OG red US pressing vs. the CD, arent' you?
    Have you ordered the 2019 SFTD reissue, too?

Thanks for your opinion!

Graham and Rockin' Robby like this.
  12. Rockin' Robby

Very helpful post Vidar, thank you! I am also wondering if you have ordered the new SFTD vinyl and will be very curious to hear your thoughts on the new reissues.

13. Rockin' Robby

It looks like the most recent reissue of the self titled album is from 2011. There is a USA version and a European version, each has unique deadwax. Has anybody compared the USA vs the Europe 2011 self titled 2xLP? Thanks!

14. Vidar Nilsson

Hi again, yes I have the new reissue of Songs For The Deaf. Actually, I bought it a few hours ago haha!
    Still the US OG sounds better, the new reissue sounds not that different from the CD :(

It's muddier and less detailed, compressed like all the air has been sucked out of the mix. Still, I quite like the sound of it in a way? It's the same mix you're used to with this album, the US OG sounds like a different mix. It's very warm sounding and I like that. Also it's dead silent and I like the red cover art.

I would say get both if you really 'crave' this album. One is an exceptional audiophile listen while the other is muddy and compressed but warm and fuzzy.

Rockin' Robby and Black Stripes like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Huh? So you are basically saying vinyl from 2002 can't sound good? :crazy:

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I JUST listened to the new vinyl and the CD, going back and forth, and you couldn't be more wrong if your name was Wrongie McWrongenstein.

Graham likes this.
  17. Rockin' Robby

Please tell us more! Is it easier on the ears when turned up loud?

18. Vidar Nilsson

What is it that you notice when comparing the two? What sounds better/worse etc? Perhaps I need to listen to it more?

19. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Just picked up the 2019 vinyl edition of Songs For The Deaf - WOW!
    This is amazingly good, nice levels - no brickwalling, the clarity and detail of the mix is a relevation!
    So much warmer than the CD.
    One of the few times I can honestly say the new vinyl version is better than the original release.
    Obviously just my opinion of course.

Graham and Rockin' Robby like this.
  20. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Totally agree!

Rockin' Robby and Linus like this.
  21. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Yes.

22. Neonbeam

Ridiculous, sorry! :help:

Just another of these over-generalisations that are so popular with certain people. You know what? Pressing quality was generally better in 2002! :evil:

Aftermath and Marko K like this.
  23. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

Just picked up the new Rated R reissue. I had an old reissue years ago that was garbage that others probably know about.

First impressions - without cleaning the record - silent, no audible pops, hiss, break up or sibilance listening through speakers at decent volume. This is a very clean cut. Music is clear, warm, detailed, natural. I sat down in front of my stereo drinking my morning coffee listening through both sides and could not fault it. The print quality is excellent (nice 4pp insert with lyrics) and it came in a polysleeve. Some care was taken into this reissue, it's a keeper. I'll do a rip and CD comparison later today.

24. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

Pleased to say my replacement copy of SFTD (EU new reissue) is lovely and quiet. My first copy had a dodgy side D (generally noisy, some loud pops etc.)

I'm very, very happy with both of the new reissues.

25. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

Okay, my observations of mastering differences between the new cut of Rated R vs the original CD. Increased presence and detail in the cymbals and vocals in the reissue, and the low mids aren't as muddy. It's noticeable during the mellower parts such as the verse of In The Fade. In the high gain sections, it's not as apparent. Overall more listenable and less congested; it's more of a modest improvement though than a revelation.