Beatles meeting Oct '69, where's the tape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YpsiGypsy, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Thinking about John`s 4442-split-idea combined with the no-more-L-M-compositions again: if we want to stay in the analogy it is similar to seperated bedrooms. Wanting a full divorce shortly after that was just the next step.

BeatlesBop, DTK and blutiga like this.
  2. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

3. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I think John's wrong not wanting Granny music on future Beatles albums, the only one with no Granny music is Let it Be and that's a depressing album sometimes.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  4. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

More accurately, he was on heroin during the Rolling Stone interview.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

How do you know? Just a guess?

Jackstar74 likes this.
  6. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

Not really sure about that. Was the RS interview post-Janov Scream Therapy? If so, he was off heroin by then...I believe (i could be wrong)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Very interesting stuff. Especially if it is true.

I'm sure Sheppard wasn't on board with the idea.;)

8. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

As memory serves, this is the fragment that MarkL plays in the Hornsey Road show.

theMess and Ken Wood like this.
  9. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Yes it is - I however wonder wether that is a different source. It sounds more tinny than the two off-line-recordings that I heard from the tour.

10. Tony LeMesmer

Tony LeMesmer Forum Resident

Two. He only played it once (35 second segment)

11. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I have two recordings from two different shows. He played the same 39 second excerpt on each of them but as both are audience off-air recordings they sound a bit different. This might either be a third recording of the same piece of a processed version of one of these. Or it might be a inline recording making it potentially the best source but I have doubts.

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

This fragment is part of the new REMIX of the tape done by Giles Martin... ;)

13. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Giles seems to have lowered Paul`s nonchalant whistling at 0:24. I always took that whistling as a great, possibly even slightly devious counterpoint to John`s tirade against Paul`s granny tastes in songwriting. The whole non-dialogue is now even more unbalanced, even if you crank up your rear speakers. If that is the way they think they can treat us fans I will immidiatly cancel my YouTube account.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm waiting for it to come out on a mono 45 before I listen

Ken Wood likes this.
  15. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

So this all boils down to the fact that the Beatles broke up because John was upset that Maxwell's Silver Hammer wasn't released as a single. :)

16. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I think it’s a bit sad hearing John talk this way. Maybe he’s already in effect saying “it’s over” with this remark.

It’s one thing for him to say, “I don’t like [song X], let’s not put it on the album.”

But to seek to tell Paul what kind of song he can have as a Beatles track, as he seems to be doing here, that’s really an unbeatley thing to do.

He’s talking out of both sides of his mouth here too. On one hand saying each should get 4 songs each, no shared writing credits, ostensibly to give them more musical freedom (or to himself, at least), i.e. to explore musical autonomy. But then here he is saying this which only limits Paul.

He’s also a bit hippocrtical here. He had got “Mr Moonlight” and “Good Night” on albums, which arguably were along the lines of grandparent music, plus “Revolution 9,” which was much more self indulgent than anything Paul ever put on a Beatles album. Paul remained open to John’s weird musical impulses, but John seemingly sought to limit Paul in a broad stroke nevertheless.

Unfortunately, it seems that putting Paul in a box was John’s main objective at that fateful meeting. Maybe this felt justified after years of Paul’s exacting, and bordering on dictatorial, approach to song arrangements. It’s sad that it all came to this.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  17. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Interesting thoughts and justified criticism! Broad stroke? I think he still liked most of what Paul did just not this type.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wouldn't it be funny to get the whole discussion tape as bonus content for the Let It Be box set? Impossible, I know.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  19. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

He was back on it again. In her book, May Pang recounts Lennon snorting heroin while he and Yoko were filming 'Fly' in Dec 1970. She wasn't speculating either. He was doing it openly in front of people while she was there as J and Y's assistant. This is on the same trip to New York that he did the Wenner interview in Klein's office. In 'You Never Give Me Your Money,' Peter Doggett also writes that the staff at ABCKO were instructed to provide Lennon with laxatives and headache medicine. (Constipation and digestive dysfunction are side effects of heroin use.)

blutiga, Detroit Music Fan and DTK like this.
  20. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Like Fly On The Wall in Let It Be, Naked

andrewskyDE likes this.
  21. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

The tape is buried in Yoko's bag.......

22. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

I’m also surprised he would single out “Ob-La-Di”—a song he himself elevated to a great track with his frantic piano-intro kicking off the standard release version. It seems like he must have had some affection for the song* at some point, considering this, and his playful interjected vocalizations on the track. Notwithstanding, I guess it was a good way to nip at Paul.

*maybe only if high out of his mind?

23. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

Didn't Lennon apologize for his nasty comments to someone -- maybe George Martin -- by saying he was stoned on junk during the interview? Not positive, but I think he said something like that.

24. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Well, by all accounts, John was high a lot back then.

25. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

All jokes aside, John doesn’t sound under the influence at all. He just sounds mean.

As Jeighson1 put it, he sounds like he’s trying to put Paul in a box.