Eastwood Film: The Ballad of Richard Jewell

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by unclefred, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

arley, MarkTheShark, F1nut and 6 others like this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

4. It's not a judgment. Just an observation--he may be registered as a libertarian now but it's a little more complex than his party affiliation.

Either way, it's his choice. I don't judge him on it. I still like his movies even when I don't always agree with him.

jupiter8, Michael and GodShifter like this.
  5. NickCarraway

Eastwood is pro-choice, anti-war, pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control and did a Super Bowl commercial touting the Obama auto bailout. Perhaps Clint's a bit more complicated than the average SH.tv member....

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What does any of what you said have to do with my post? Think hard.

7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I see where this is going.....whenever politics get involved.....

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. NickCarraway

I just realized you're the guy who came onto this thread to trash Eastwood's entire directorial oeuvre, and now you're itching to get the thread shut down by slamming Clint's politics.

Go play on another freeway. Bye.

ransmiller and budwhite like this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Nope, as you'd see, I admitted there are many good Eastwood films (and some bad). The "chair" comment was meant to be funny, but if you want to take it in another direction that's on you.

10. Michael

I like him ...always did, always will...and I have no problem who he is...I am a fan.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sure, but I'm shocked nobody turned his RNC appearance into an "Old Man Yells At Chair" meme.

12. Michael

that's a good thing. ; )

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

These American hero films he’s been doing I’m sure they would service a better documentary. Wish he’d direct another western instead.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  14. Michael

yes, I can go for that...he does great westerns...

15. Michael

I agree...

16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to the movie, I'm confident that Clint has made an arresting film. The Film biz sure needs a success, the last I read the industry is down 50% from last year. Which was in the doldrums then.

Karnak likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Too funny I’m the one accused of turning this thread “political” when all I did was make a joke abort the chair.

Clint has directed some good westerns, but it seems to be an almost dead genre outside of the occasional one. The last good “western” I saw was Hostiles.

the pope ondine likes this.
  18. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Sounds like a good premise for a movie, but I am hoping Clint didn't impose a sort of theme to it that reinforces existent erroneous views. I'll know shortly into it I guess if he did so.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Based on early indications, it seems to be a political movie. It appears to be Clint's attempts to illustrate the current climate via a tale from 23 years ago.

The full film may not be as political as the trailers make it look - we'll see.

But the trailers definitely leave the impression that it's political...

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I think Clint is definitely making this movie at this point in time as a deliberate political statement- his politics are often the opposite of mine yet I am sure I'll see this (eventually). I think he's one of the best American directors of all time and has quite a prolific career with many masterpieces to his credit. I also think "Jersey Boys" is one of the most gawdawful pieces of crap I ever had the misfortune of sitting through.

21. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

He directed the recent Star Wars films ?

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  22. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

An idiotic statement. It’s like saying Spielberg or Scorsese or Coppolla or Malick aren’t good directors just because you don’t like them. A Perfect World and Unforgiven, to name two, are very good to great films.

Eastwood doesn’t comport with your beliefs so bad, bad, bad. Childish. One doesn’t have to see eye to eye with Godard to realize he’s a good director - sometimes exceptional.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Did you read the entire thread or just respond to this post? I admitted fairly early on after I made that statement that he’s done some good movies. Did you miss that one or just choose to ignore it and write with vitriol over the one that offended you?

I could care not care less about his politics and never made it an issue. Read the the entire thread and get back to me.

24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Personally I really look forward to this film and what I assume to be the central message. This guy's life was ruined because of an irresponsible media. As far as the whole chair thing, I guess you shouldn't listen to Neil Diamond when writing your speeches!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    GodShifter and agentalbert like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.