Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

I posted this in the main Black Friday thread, but just in case it does not get seen there:

Has anyone been to a Barnes & Noble in the last couple of days? Is B&N doing the 40% off all CDs in-store? If so, can you stack with your B&N membership? Is there an additional coupon like we managed to also stack last Black Friday?

My nearest B&Ns do not stock CDs, so don't want to do a 50+ mile round trip for nothing.

2. davers

davers Forum Resident

I was in my local B&N which still has a pretty large music section and didn't notice any general CD sales. The primary sale item was a welcome rack stuffed with CD and movie box sets, listed for 10-30% off. A few examples include Bowie "Loving The Alien", Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" and The Replacements "Dead Man's Pop".

3. Black Elk

Thanks for the reply.

Do you happen to remember how much of a discount was on the Hendrix? It's not much on their website.

4. davers

davers Forum Resident

I believe it was in the high $40 range but don't recall the exact amount (each item has a specific discount sticker on it).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  5. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I saw the Hendrix box for 10% off, the only music item in the box set sale bin.

6. Black Elk

Thanks to both of you.

Disappointing. I guess I'll be staying home today then (just as well as we are in the middle of an atmospheric river here).

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The Barnes & Noble Black Friday Music Sale is getting free assistance from a floor salesperson saying, "I think we had some stuffed around there, behind those videos..."

Gianni Ovalsand likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

All I saw in the 40% rack was a small selection of Sony’s Essential series.

9. Black Elk

Ouch!

10. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Disappointing. B&N hasn't had any good music sales for a while.

11. Black Elk

Not since we all bought the SDE of Abbey Road!

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I passed on this at B&N and ended up doing better during the Target 3 for 2 sale although it was my expectation that B&N would eventually offer the best deal around.

That said, the discounts this season at B&N have been underwhelming to say the least. However, my local store has posted 30% off CDs. That, plus the 10% member discount and a $5 off $25 coupon got me the Phil Collins "Plays Well With Others" 4 CD set for $21.46. It was worth combing through their limited CD selection to find something on my want list.

13. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

They had 30% off CDs and they also had a large 50% off vinyl section at my store.

There was a decent selection for the 50% vinyl. Pink Floyd (Relics, Ummagumma, Saucerful, Final Cut, More), Roxy Music (S/T & Avalon), Lou Reed (Coney Island, Berlin), some Bowie, etc.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow, I should check the larger B&N in my area to see if they are doing either of those sales. The smaller ones that I normally drive by on my regular route to work are not doing anything but 50% off vinyl is worth a drive.

dee likes this.
  15. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

It wasn’t all vinyl but it was close to half of what they had in the store. So it may be worth calling first if this is just a select location thing. The ones that were 50% all had a sticker and were put in a separate section.

dee and hutlock like this.
  16. hutlock

Nice. Thanks for the tip!

17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I’m taking a chance and driving to the store in Orange. It isn’t all that far and I have a new GC to spend!

slashdot87 and hutlock like this.
  18. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

Same at my local store, just outside of New Orleans.

I hope they aren't getting rid of vinyl, but it was close to half of their stock. I was able to pick up a couple (lol) of records I've had my eyes on...

19. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Got the following for 50 dollars:

Arcade Fire-Neon Bible
    Beck-Modern Guilt
    Leonard Cohen-Popular Problems
    Joy Division-Closer
    Nine Inch Nails-Bad Witch

hutlock and slashdot87 like this.
  20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

State of the sad affairs at B&N. Talked to a sales guy who I've spoken with frequently over the last couple years. He said there is no vinyl sale bin because they are so short staffed. It may materialize in the next day or two.

21. hutlock

Geeeeeez.

boboquisp likes this.
  22. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Went to one this morning lots of good titles half off tons of Floyd marked
    It’s not all stock maybe 25-%

SJP and hutlock like this.
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

At B&N Fullerton now, good selection of 50% off vinyl, mixed in with the regular stock. Lots of choice titles.

Didn’t go crazy though. Toto’s “40 Trips Around The Sun” was on my want list so that was all I got. Everything else was on my would-like-to-have list. It has been a good holiday season for music so I showed rare restraint. Still have some GC left to check out another location at some point.

ps - extra 10% members discount doesn’t apply

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    slashdot87 likes this.
  24. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

My local store had some older Floyd 50% off (More, Relics, Saucer...)

SJP likes this.
  25. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

It seems to greatly vary by location hit up a busy store and at least 2/3 of their stock was half off and they were checking every single vinyl to see if it was and putting stickers
    Apparently the sale isn’t officially on yet so they aren’t fully marked
    I got a stones satanic majesty box set for half odd and a lot of Bowie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.