Speakers not caring about walls too much

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kgdsh, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kgdsh

Kgdsh Member Thread Starter

Hi! It'd the guy who is buying the planar 6 (probably). I would love to consult with you on a question. I've been thinking about the suggestion to change speakers (I was thinking about fyne f500 before) But I've come to realize that my placement is not really hifi-worthy. What I mean is that behind my shelf (for those who don't remember my old post, im placing speakers on edges of a long heavy horizontal table-style shelf). I'm not worrying about the vibrations as the shelf is grounded sufficiently. But there is a window behind it (curtains can be close or opened). The window is not as wide as the shelf of course but reasonably wide. So, if I have tall speakers the port should be messed up anyway because it will be level with the window sill on one of the sides of the shelf, so no real wall (the other side has the solid wall behind do its ok). I wish I could have send a picture... And the room is a living room so not really all that hifi ready (though the triangle can be achieved easily and my ears are level with the speakers too when I sit) the main issue is the messed up wall behind. Can you recommend theoretically (for now without budget) any bookshelves which won't suffer too much without a dedicated hifi-ready listening environment. I've heard about amphion, how would they go for example? Or anything else? The fyne too? Anything else?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

3. Kgdsh

Maybe I'm exaggerating... DSC_0675.JPG here is the link to a pic with one of the ends of my shelf. The other end is the same but better because there is wall behind (the window doesn't reach there)

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My guess is you want to look at speakers that are either front ported or totally sealed/acoustic suspension. Not sure what your exact budget is...someone will chime in with suggestions.

5. Tinian

Tinian Forum Resident

ATC carries a nice and affordable line of speakers with acoustic suspension ie sealed cabin.
    I am not aware if open baffle speakers might also be a good solution for you, others can chime in on this.

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. Kgdsh

Thank you all! But I need the stand mount /bookshelf version. And for now I'm thinking more of such models in general than those within a budget... Maybe I'll adjust... How common are these? And is the sound quality good? Because the planar 6 is a good turntable and I don't want it to be paired with something which won't open its full potential... Are the rear (or down) ported versions so bad? Maybe there are some which won't suffer too much? As I know front ported speakers limit the choice so much. For now I have found only focal aria 906

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  7. Kgdsh

Thank you! Is atc scm7 closed though? Seems within reasonable budget!

8. Tinian

Tinian Forum Resident

Believe that all entry series of ATC have sealed cabins.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Front-ported bookshelves are a rarity, but how about these Polks ? Too small for you ? They care so little about placement they even come with wall-mounting holes.

[​IMG]

OVERALL

• Total Pieces
    WARRANTY
    • Cabinet Warranty
      5 years
    • Drivers Warranty
      5 years
    • Original Purchaser Only
      Yes
    HOME THEATER AND MUSIC BOOKSHELF SPEAKER
    • Qty Included
      Pair
    • Orientation
      Vertical
    • Height
      10.63" (27 cm)
    • Width
      6.5" (16.51 cm)
    • Depth
      7.25" (18.42 cm)
    • Driver Enclosure Type
      Vented
    • Driver Complement
      • (1) 5.25" (13.34 cm) d (Round) Dynamic Balance mineral filled polymer composite cone driver - Mid/Woofer
      • (1) 0.75" (1.91 cm) d (Round) Dynamic Balance silk/polymer composite dome - Tweeter
    AUDIO QUALITY
    • Total Frequency Response
      45 Hz → 24,000 Hz
    • Nominal Impedance Range
      8 ohms → 6 ohms
    • Sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter)
      89 dB
    • Lower and Upper -3dB Limits
      65 Hz → 20,000 Hz
    INPUTS
    • Audio Inputs
    • Speaker Inputs
      (1) Pair of 5-Way Binding Posts - Gold-Plated
    EXTERNAL AMPLIFIER
    • Recommended Amplifier Power Per Channel
      20 watts → 100 watts
    ON-SHELF, ON-STAND, OR ON-WALL MOUNT
    • Mounting Type
      Keyhole Hanger
    • Available Orientations
      Vertical

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. BadgerRivFan

BadgerRivFan Active Member

How about some Elac Debut 2.0’s!

[​IMG]

11. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

I have them: they care less about walls then back ported speakers, but they DO care. After all, bass waves are not directional

Shiver and patient_ot like this.
  12. Kgdsh

Thank you!!!! As I read, the atcs need a beasty amp though... So elex r won't suit... I also read that many people pair them with musical fidelity m3si, but they don't seem to powerful either. M5si would be perfect but that's super expensive. Will m3si be ok? And now I can estimate my room which is between 4x7 and 4x8 but with high ceilings (2.5-3m) listening distance is around 3m. And between the atcs and some front ported stuff like focal aria what would you recommend for my unprofessional room? Thanks in advance!

13. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

You can get a small pair of open baffle speakers such as these:
    [​IMG]

Then pair it with one of these for some real magic on a budget.
    [​IMG]

14. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

MAD 1920/1920S.....rear-ported, doesn't make an iota of difference. Great near walls, great away from walls. Trouble free placement in general.

15. Kgdsh

Thank you! The betsys aren't available in eureope though I guess... And as for the mad, thank you, just wanted to clarify that my biggest issue is not as much the wall behind and the distance to it but the window... Most probably rear ported speakers would fire into the glass instead of wall on one side of the shelf, and if not to the glass then into the window sill or the heater knob... I just don't have enough flat wall behind, not that I don't have the wall at all

16. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

If your speakers are more than approx 12 inches from the back wall, the port location doesn't make much difference. For a smaller speaker, the bass range is omni-directional below about 300 cycles. We think of the port as "firing" front or rear, (physically located front or rear) but the port bass energy actually wraps evenly around the cabinet. Every port design will produce a nice round bubble (sort of round) in all directions. The port and woofer work in phase regardless of the port location, and the speaker system produces a spherical bass bubble. The rear boundary effect will be the same for any port location, if more than apprx 12 inches away from the wall.

This should open up more speaker options... my suggestion, don't worry about the port location.

The reason the Polk model suggested in this discussion has a front port is that it can be wall mounted, otherwise a rear port would not work in such case.

Most sealed box bookshelf speakers perform best when against or near the back wall, with exception of large sealed cabinet and floor standing models. So this pretty much should rule out sealed box in difficult locations, since these are more dependent on boundary effect. But, you never know, maybe the sealed cab would work, maybe with help from a sub.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  17. Kgdsh

I finally measured it all! 9 inches from the edge of the shelf to the wall, and around 15.5 inches is the depth of the shelf itself,so if the speakers aren't as deep as that it adds up but I can move them closer back if anything and make it just 9 inches. Side wall you saw, it's quite far. Wall mounting I can exclude fully. So, what do you think, front or rear or sealed? Sub is definitely not in the plans at first

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Maybe small speakers a Sub would be your best bet!

19. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

It depends on the design parameters. The Ls3/5a and other popular standmounts just get boomy near boundaries. It's worth checking the response curves to see if there is a 'hump' around 100 Hz. This is quite common in small sealed designs.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  20. Kgdsh

Maybe, thanks! I just don't know where to place the sub, as I wanted to keep it on the shelf and I'm usually listening when sitting on the floor due to my disability, so floor firing sun would distort it for me me... Also, remember the window? The glass starts around 12 inches above the shelf (so if the port is placed higher than 12 inches from the bottom it may interfere with glass) or won't it?
    So, all this discussion leads me back to amphion as it should be not caring about the walls and all (there are shelves and a huge sliding door and the walls everywhere are just not that clear). Argon 1... Good option? Or better stay with front ported like aria?

21. Kgdsh

Spendor A1's description specifically states it is forgiving to placement... So... Any comments, am I going in the right direction: spendor a1, amphion argon 1, maybe dynaudio emit... Maybe focal aria 901... Oh there's also linn majik 109 but it says it can benifit from its special stand which I'm not planning on using and in general linn seems to have this aura of "pair it with linn only and the majick will happen"... Again returning to my initial rega elex r (maybe elicit r) so the max power rating I guess shouldn't exceed 150w... What do you think??? Right or wrong direction?

22. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Many loudspeakers are designed to perform best when placed out into the room and not against walls. Not sure how easy they are to come by in your country, but you may want to consider a used pair of NHT 2.9 speakers - they are designed to work properly when place near the rear wall. If you go this route, you'll get A LOT of speaker for the money you invest.

23. Kgdsh

Thank you... But only bookshelf for me... Also, I never thought about rega's own rx1 speakers but how good are they? They seem to be kind of ignored at all? (and no, I don't trust whathifi, I mean just other reviewers and magazines, I don't here a lot about them from anywhere)

24. Kgdsh

Danish Buchart look like amphions, are they as forgiving as people say amphions are?

25. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

I had the Amphion for a year, about 70 cm from the wall, they were still boomy. The only fix was to block the port

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.