SH Spotlight Why the new "LOUDNESS CRAZE" in digital mastering really robs music of life..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Following the albums mentioned on http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

Have short extracts from:

* Bryan Adams - Cuts Like a Knife (1983)
    * Willie Nelson - What a Wonderful World (1988)
    * George Michael - Faith (1987)
    * Amy Grant - Heart In Motion (1991)

and include similar extracts from the modern remaster of these.

But that's just shooting in the dark. There have been many great posts on this forum showing nasty waveforms. We just have to look in the archives, come up with a few examples, and make a video! ;)

2. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

All this is correct, but the reason why they have not listened to audiophiles probably includes the fact that they are not talking their language, something advertising usually does.

As Lebanese poet/writer Khalil Gibran of "The Prophet" fame said once, "If I am not an architect amongst arquitects, how will they understand that I am an astronomer?"

3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

So we're back to square one, because it's pretty clear that the industry (record companies, producers, engineers, the artists themselves from corporate to independent to underground) has taken up the gospel of LOUD.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right, and as a result, we can either not buy new releases, or buy them and put up with the sound.

5. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The problem seems to be that all this issue is falling on deaf ears... [truly].

6. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

One good thing about this whole shebang : people buy less and less corporate CDs (they download them) and more and more independent compagnies CDs.

At the same time, Majors still laugh at us fellow workers, while we reap more money than they do, considering we have less expenses. Keep it going !

7. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

You're sure about this?

8. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

How many people are going to be stone deaf in thirty years? I've walked behind people in the streets listening to iPods- they are so loud you can even hear what song they are listening to! I was walking about two metres behind them!

Regarding compression, I had to put a load of CD's on my Aunt's Mp3 player the other day. I took the opportunity to have a look at the waveforms- they were solid blocks, every single one of them. I questioned her about how they sounded and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about. And no, she doesn't listen to much music these days, I can't imagine why.............

9. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

10. tps

tps Forum Resident

This is like the apocryphal Ray Dolby party joke.

Party guest: "Ray Dolby? Oh, you're the one with the Switch. Just what does that switch do?"

Ray Dolby: "It reduces the noise."

Party guest: "Noise? I never noticed any noise..."

11. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

What I mean is : if you spend 50 millions dollars a year on CDs manufacturing, promotion, salaries etc, but only make 47 million bucks, you lost 3 millions. Lucky the bank follows to cover...

If you spend 100 000 bucks a year, and makes 115 000, you won 15 000 (taxes not counted).

Who made the more money then ? :D ;)

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Posted a thread about this topic here (on another forum). It'll be interesting to see the responses.

Did I present it well or were there other things that could have been included?

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well, no one has responded so far. ;)

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

We might be the only ones who care. :p

15. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

maybe you need to use larger fonts ;)

16. ultra motion

ultra motion Member

Wow, that's quite a long thread. I've made it through most of the pages and decided to bring some input.

Artists, Music Listeners and Producers/Engineers/etc. can argue endlessly about what makes a great-sounding record (ie. what kind of gear is right and wrong to use, how to properly record it, necessary amount of compression to use, and so on).

But there is ONE THING a lot of sensible people can agree on - an album should ALWAYS have good/great dynamic range. And other IMPORTANT things like reasonable/right amount of compression (7db-9db), which WON'T result in clipped peaks, great amount of headroom, and most of all - less overproduction; letting it all go out with mistakes. The concept of less is more so to speak, meaning that if it doesn't interfere with an album, leave it in.

Everything else can be up to the artist in terms of if the music is presented in loose/raw (ex. Aerosmith - Rocks) or precise format (ex. AC/DC - Back In Black).

17. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I think it all comes down to the decreasing number of people who actually sit down and listen to music. Take HDTV - the increased quality is evident because people have their eyes glued to the set. But music, sadly, is for more and more just background noise, wallpaper, or a soundtrack to other activies. If no-one is listening, no-one can hear the difference.

I'm not defending bad mastering, of course, just offering an explanation for why nobody much cares.

18. psubliminal

psubliminal Forum Resident

If this has been going on at least since the mid-'90s, then it isn't really the new "LOUDNESS CRAZE."

I no longer buy new CDs, I haven't for years; only used old ones, and old vinyl.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'ts been going longer than that!

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Off to the FAQ section of the Forum.

Thanks one and all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.