Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Wasn't the vinyl announced at the same time with Fresh Cream or did it actually come later?
    If there's liklihood of a vinyl release of the full shows I may end up cancelling my CD order and buy that instead, the vinyl Fresh Cream Box sounds so much better than its CD counterpart for that reason vinyl would be my preferred choice.

2. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Didn't the copyright of all the unreleased recordings expire in 2018 in the EU?

3. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

It's interesting to consider the fact that the absolute train wreck of a performance of "Crossroads" from Oakland is being happily released in this set, set against the agonising going on in the Band of Gypsys box thread about the performance related omissions there.

I take it we prefer the warts and all approach?

4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Speaking as another tight fisted Yorkshireman I agree. Ordered last night!

5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Your ancestors perhaps?... ;)

6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

it’s not a sketch - it’s a true story. I was at school with guys like that!

7. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Some intriguing language being used here by UMC,

"The Oakland Coliseum, Los Angeles Forum and San Diego Sports Arena concerts were mastered from the original 1968 analog mix reels"

That doesn't say modern multitrack mixes to me - as for RAH, "mastered from the original 1968 analog transfer reels" says these are, at best, 2-track stereo, rather than a multitrack source.

Also, do we know what show the RAH source is supposed to be from? Early or late show? Or a composite of both?

8. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I thought so even on my car stereo. I always had a hard time getting into the unofficial recording of the Oakland show, though I always liked the tracks from Live Cream Vol. II. I felt the new "Sunshine of Your Love" sounded better than both, most likely due to it coming from the "original 1968 analog mix reels" as opposed to whatever sort of copy tape has been available unofficially. Again, this was just on my car stereo so I'm not really in any place to make any sort of definite statement on this but I definitely liked what I heard.

I'm guessing these are two-track mixdowns of multitracks made in '68. These shows were multitracked but I wouldn't be surprised if the multis were lost. Cream's catalog has now been distributed by two record companies who have had major fires that have destroyed a lot of recordings, that we're getting anything is nothing short of amazing.

I am also curious about what RAH is going to sound like and which of the two shows it's sourced from (if not both). Most of the DVDs haven't had the best sound quality for this but there is a version floating around on YouTube and elsewhere where the sound seems significantly better. I'm guessing the US farewell shows will sound better but I'm sure it will be a step up from the unofficial source.

9. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Also on YouTube:

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Yep, me too, I also still come across and in fact know people exactly like this.

vudicus likes this.
  11. WHR

WHR Forum Resident

As stated above..the cover and title are somewhat misleading. Missed opportunity to have an expanded Goodbye. Could have the same tracks but add the 3 studio tracks. Would really like to hear Badge outtakes.

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

An expanded / Deluxe Edition Goodbye Cream can still be released

13. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

RAH late show complete

14. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Very unlikely to happen though.

Looking at Marc Roberty's book "EC Day by Day 1963-1982," seems those 3 studio tracks were the only songs attempted. Demo's started 15-23 October in Wally Heider Studio 3 in LA. Then back in London the basic and final versions of the 3 songs at IBC 18-21st November then 2-6 December 1968.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

They'll dig something up. And include one of the live concerts-:cool:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Must buy!!

jamesmaya and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. no time

no time Forum Resident

There are already circulating among collectors the basic-tracks of "Badge" and "Doing That Scrapyard Thing".

P.S.
    Yes Jack and Ginger are dead, but the great artists never die if they leave great things.

18. Almost Simon

Not heard any alternate versions, must seek these out.

19. Almost Simon

This maybe a minor point but seems they've changed the order of writing credits in the booklet in the photo. Sunshine of your love listed as (Clapton/Bruce/Brown.) I wonder why they changed it.

[​IMG]

20. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

I don't believe they are "alternate takes" just basic tracks....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

This is long over due. Clear out the vaults while people still buy it.

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Luckily, early next year I can afford a bit more stuff then. Will put this on my to-buy list.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

MYKE, I never realized there was a 6-LP version of this either, even though I (thought) I was following the Fresh Cream deluxe thread here. Well, I was following that thread but have no recollection of talk about a vinyl version. The LP version is now available to the US for $60-something including shipping from amazon.co.uk - awfully tempting price for the set with not only the vinyl but the art in full LP size...

All Down The Line and Myke like this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Frank, there are definitely conversations in the archives, discussing the vinyl box, back when it was new, 2017. Like I said, it's not something I'm necessarily proud of, but when I ignore something, I really ignore it, because I retain nothing about what I scroll past. It is, what it is. At least I finally know why in this case...too many copies now, but I ain't selling no original mono, or the stereo DCC, and certainly not the box, or the gold DCC CD, so when I say I'm done with a title, well...:tiphat:

frank3si likes this.
  25. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Not being a Cream expert, how much of this (if there is any) was included on the two Live Cream releases from the early 70s?

izgoblin, Matthew Tate and bhazen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.