Beatles meeting Oct '69, where's the tape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YpsiGypsy, Jul 16, 2018.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I never heard anyone say heroin makes you angry. It should "nullify", right? Dampen your feelings. So being on it seems like an odd explanation for John's nood.

2. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

I believe he apologized to Martin sometime in the late 70's when he came to dinner at the Dakota . He also apologized to Glynn Johns in 1974. Johns was hurt that Lennon had dissed his 'Get Back' mix. And Lennon said something like he was just letting off steam in that interview, and he was out of his mind at the time. I think that was why he [Lennon] was so pissed at Wenner publishing a book out of it. He didn't want it to linger in perpetuity. In his head he could mouth off horribly and it would just disappear into the ether with no consequences. The people he hurt were the ones left with the burden of actually remembering the things he'd said and taking them seriously.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  3. puddingdish

It's also ironic that he says 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' was the kind of song that should have been a single. In the Wenner interview, he goes on about how Paul tried everything to make 'Maxwell's' a single, and how it never, ever could have been one.

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Interestingly on the 69 tape he says that Paul should give songs like Maxwell's Silver Hammer to other Apple artists in the future rather than have them recorded by The Beatles.

5. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Though, now that I think about my own comment, I’ve known some pretty mean addicts. Nevertheless, he doesn’t sound messed up in this recording, he just sounds like a bully.

It’s such a short clip. I wish there were more. There could be greater context.

DTK likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Are there any instances of John publicly saying hurtful things about people he had professional relationships with after the fallout of the 1970 period. I know we have How Do You Sleep, but that was a response to Paul's initial barbs on Ram. Obviously John was hurt by the lines McCartney threw his way via song?

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Yes. He goes pretty hard on George in '71/'72 in the interview he did with McCabe.

Q: "What about George?"

JOHN: "George always has a point of view about that wide (he holds his hands close together), you know? You can't tell him anything."

YOKO: "George is sophisticated, fashionwise..."

JOHN: "He's very trendy, and he has the right clothes on, and all of that."

YOKO: "But he's not sophisticated, intellectually."

JOHN: "No. He's very narrow-minded. One time in the Apple office I was saying something, and he said, 'I'm as intelligent as you, you know.' This must have been resentment. Of course he's got an inferiority complex from working with Paul and me."

Detroit Music Fan and blutiga like this.
  8. puddingdish

John's comments about George actually seem pretty accurate. It was mean to say it though, especially in the press.

9. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

George could be very stubborn and into his thing but the same goes for John.
    I never perceived George as a stupid fashion follower as he is painted her by both John and Yoko, that is just mean.
    Inferiority complex maybe, that is the only thing that sounds true.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  10. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I think George was right in his sentence.

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I hadn't read this particular interview before. If you're gonna call someone narrow-minded, it helps to not do that so narrow-mindedly.
    This from the guy who immersed himself into far left NYC politics and was surrounded by narrow-minded radicals. What a spectrum of open thought that was.
    This version of Lennon is a particularly unattractive one.

MPLRecords likes this.
  12. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Yes I agree and will add even if you were to be neutral on the politics he was taunting it seemed to be to much opportunism going on than actual bagism.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  13. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I think that none of the individual Beatles was very smart.

14. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

EVERY member of the Beatles "quit" at one time or another prior to the final breakup

Exotiki and idreamofpikas like this.
  15. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

They strived to gain knowledge and wisdom and were "smart" in their own way. Maybe not super intellectual but certainly with wits.

16. Nightswimmer

Oh, I agree with that. I meant that none of them ever came across to me as particularly intelligent. Does not take anything away from their music.

Ken Wood likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wowsa. Thanks Albert.

18. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I don't know; you have to have some kind of brains to be able to teach yourself how to make the music they did.

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

John thought he was a genius:

[​IMG]

Six Bachelors and theMess like this.
  20. Nightswimmer

Many people believed him and believe it to this day.

teag likes this.
  21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I don't think any of them were Albert Einstein, but none of em were Goober Pyle either.

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

At the very least, they were Gomer.

Bern likes this.
  23. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

True. But Lennon could seem as though he was delusional. He thought he was better than the Beatles and he once thought he was Jesus Christ. Yes, delusional. But talented !

24. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

They made it to the top and stayed there. Maybe it has nothing to do with being intelligent, but perhaps their story would have been different if they had been musically brilliant but stupid people.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's not ironic. In his comments on the tape, he's saying the song should have been a single for someone else because he didn't really like the song. In the Rolling Stone interview, he's saying the song was not good enough to be released as a Beatles single. Those two sentiments are not incompatible or inconsistent.