Onkyo A-9010 and the need of a Christmas Miracle

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by e-teacher, Dec 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-teacher

e-teacher Active Member Thread Starter

So. I posted this on another audio forum and hoping someone here can assist. For those of you who may have seen this elsewhere I apologize..

So this is my first post. I normally don't do this type of posting, but have been a benefactor of those who do post and learned a great deal through reading other post. I have an extensive background in electronics and worked at an audiophile store during my college years. (late 70's, early 80's) Like most people, work and raising a family took precedence. (40 years in the electronics industry, last 20 was spent teaching electronics) So fast forward, I'm retired and the audio bug hit's again! I recently picked up a "starter" unit, based on recommendations and research, an Onkyo A-9010,..Wow! Things have changed in 40 years! In a good way... Now the bad parts..(ha! Pun!) I had read of issues with the volume control and I now have that issue.. No problem, I can fix that..NO I CAN'T! Only if I can buy the part can I fix that. I identified the faulty part, designated 25-3 Volume pcb in the service manual, (it's actually a pcb with the volume potentiometer, with an electric motor on the back side) that just plugs in front control board. It is part number COP12710C-3. From what I can gather this has been the achilles heel, of an other wise steller value in the Onkyo A-9010. I will spare you the agony of my call to Onkyo, to the local service center and all the reasons (which I understand) that a "normal" person is not allowed to purchase parts. I'm looking for a Christmas Miracle! Anyone out there that can help? Someone know someone, that is wiling to help. We use to live in a world that you could buy parts and repair things..Otherwise, I think I made a mistake.. But I am a quick learner....Hope this either helps me, or someone else..

There has been some other questions and post.. I not post those here unless they are relevant to the discussion..

2. e-teacher

So here is my official reply from Onkyo... Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.."No parts for you!!"

(deleted by a moderator)

But I'm still hoping to find someone that's willing to be reasonable and help.. Even someone that works at, or knows someone at a service center willing to help...Here's a couple of photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Maybe you could make friends with the nearest authorized repair tech. Since you already diagnosed the issue it may not cost much to have the tech order and install the part???

Regardless of availability, what's to say the replacement part won't eventually suffer the same fate? Might be better to cut your losses and move on to a bullet-proof Yamaha amp. :D

OC Zed, quicksrt and bluemooze like this.
  4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

There are a lot of possible causes on that board for whatever problem you have. What exactly is the problem?

5. e-teacher

I'm sure you are correct. The very first indications of a coming "opportunity" was a change in volume while listening. At first, very slight but noticeable. Also the center imagine would shift, requiring a balance change, then change back.. Next came the inability to turn the volume completely down. The final straw was an unexpected increase so loud, I was concerned a future change could damage speakers. I then learned with a slight pressure change on the volume potentiometer, a push or pull or slight left or right twist, all of the symptoms could be recreated..As I had said earlier, having spend 40 years chasing electrons, I was very careful and methodical before coming to the conclusion. I could always be wrong. But I would be willing to spend my money on the part to repair it.

6. e-teacher

Oh and I futher verified my conclusion by removing the part, and while the circuit was live, applying torque to the circuit board to insure it wasn't a cold, or cracked solder joint on the circuit board. But since the part is listed as a complete unit, that was alittle over the top. But I wanted to make certain it was not a repair I could do without replacing the module..

7. e-teacher

I did contact the nearest service repair center suggested by Onkyo, but they were unable to help. But I do very much hope I can make a connection that can help.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I'd say the volume pot is bad, likely a cheap Chinese piece. It's spec'd as a 50KBx2. That info and the printing on the side of your pot may help you hunt one down.

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

10. e-teacher

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Shawn and bluemooze like this.
  11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I hope you ordered 3 or 4.

2channelforever likes this.
  12. e-teacher

If this one works, and then fails, the Onkyo will experience a fiery demise! And I will enjoy it..Ha!
    Thanks again... You may get to credit yourself with a Christmas Miracle! That's gotta make Santa happy!!!

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

It's a 6 buck Chinese pot, of course it's going to fail.

timind likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Craig's List (no shipping fee), or eBay to replace this without spending too much. Looks like a really nice basic amp with a smooth look.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yamaha bullet proof. Maybe selected vintage and separates and some high end models. They fail too, less often than Sound United brands. Some Yamaha is more reliable and more repairable than others. Yamaha makes cheap and nasty equipment and all kinds to high end statement items. Can't lump all in one brand. Every brand has something they're not proud of (which had a lot of warranty issues). And not picking on you. I like better Yamaha as well as anyone does.

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Sound United didn't own Denon when that integrated was made. HELLO!!!

17. Per F1, at $6 order 3 or 4 & replace as needed? I get attached to inanimate objects & enjoy DIY, up to a limit of course, & the 2 likes serve me well so for me 3 or 4 replacements would just be the price of fun for a favorite gear.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

But Denon still was no better supported on spare parts and service even then. FACTS! Seen many a 3 or 4 year old with an unobtainable custom IC cause it to be unrepairable. Not unusual with them. The older 2 channel units were usually better odds of repairable.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

However you stated, " They fail too, less often than Sound United brands", which was a very broad and erroneous statement.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most of the Denons, the Marantzes, are less reliable than they once were. Especially the AVR models. My dealer's failure rates bear this out.

21. e-teacher

Interesting.... I received another email from Onkyo... From the same person as first. Much nicer that the first email. This time, they at least told me the part was obsolete and unavailable and included a PDF of the owners manual..( I have an original?) A definate shift in customer relations from the first and makes me wonder? Hopefully it means they are listening.. Still waiting on the replacement to arrive..Scheduled to be here Christmas Eve..Isn't that ironic...Ha!, or should I say Ho! Ho! Ho!.....

22. e-teacher

So time for an update... I received the part yesterday and the Onkyo lives again!!! With all the unnecessary hassel of trying to get the part to effect a repair, I can't say I'm happy with customer service..But with F1nuts help, a $4.00 discount coupon, my total cost for the part, shipped from china was $5.37. I would have given 10 times that to purchase the part from Onkyo, and been a happy Onkyo customer, but of course that was not possible. BUT EVEN WITH PROBLEMS, honestly this is a really good sounding intergrated amplifier..And since it is such a good, initially inexpensive amp/design, I wish they would upgrade the components. and at the very least provide support. I'm not saying this is Audio Research quality, but for a modest entry level setup, it's good. The new volume control isn't as linear as the original, which makes me wonder if either the new one, or old one was tapered, non-linear control..But it works and is fine for my purposes..Doing the repair myself also allowed me to adjust the pre-bias, which was not the same between channels..All is good, thanks for all the help...

23. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Buy some spares.........

e-teacher likes this.
  24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Glad to see you got it working again. Ive been lucky with mine.

It is a good sounding integrated. The 192/24 digital wolfson input has very nice sound.

e-teacher likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.